DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - The 2 Year Anniversary - 10/6/2021

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

AEW's audience is extremely male heavy. It's pretty much why they are well behind WWE in total viewership. Like 70+% male versus WWE being more like ~60% male.

We've even had confirmation that there is NO line to the ladies' bathroom during events (was this at the most recent PPV even?), from a board member's significant other, so there is definitely something to it. 

• Like 2

I only saw the opener, Punk segment and Sammy/Fish match so far.

That opened was the most I have enjoyed The Elite to date, especially The Young Bucks. I actively laughed out loud when they kicked Marko in the face. That match was really well laid out — loved Jungle Boy getting all of the shine, the early show of strategizing with him and Christian working together, the Christian spike piledriver on the floor, the pause for Bryan and Kenny’s showdown segment and etc. 

But man, I hate that ref just letting rag rules just not existing. And Cutler needs to do way less — I think they whiffed fully on the spray in the eyes. But him constantly spraying off The Bucks just takes away from his antics. It would be so much better if he paced it out like Rick Martel using Arrogance — it would have been so much better if he had only sprayed in the eyes and used it after the big win as a reminder of the key role he played in their victory. 

Very quick diminishing returns with Punk. I get they need to use him since people are their to see him, but him as a hype man is just a waste of productive time. The crowd is already hot. At least have someone come out and set something up for down the line.

Sammy versus Fish was fine. Fish does not move the needle for me but he is a good hand for the heel side.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Shartnado said:

We've even had confirmation that there is NO line to the ladies' bathroom during events (was this at the most recent PPV even?), from a board member's significant other, so there is definitely something to it. 

I can confirm one better, one the normal women's bathrooms at the NOW Arena was designated a men's room for All Out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

But man, I hate that ref just letting rag rules just not existing.

this is something you either need to accept, or it will eat you alive. i am in the latter group. Rick Knox is the ref for all of the Young Bucks' matches, and once i saw just how often both of the Bucks (or more, depending on the match) are in the ring, i can't stop seeing it, and it actively takes away from every match they have. Something like the cage match vs. the Lucha Bros was the most i've enjoyed a YB match in MONTHS, because normal tag rules don't apply. i fucking hate it. i try not to post about it every month, because i will sound like a broken record, but JFC. if this was an NFL game and one team consistently was allowed to play with 15 guys it would be ridiculous. same premise.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Gonzo said:

I know that Malenko isn't in the greatest of health, but I still got a smile out of seeing him "adjusting his wristbands" as he came down the ramp.

Co-signed, and then Tony doing it as well made me laugh

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Gonzo said:

I know that Malenko isn't in the greatest of health, but I still got a smile out of seeing him "adjusting his wristbands" as he came down the ramp.

3 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

Co-signed, and then Tony doing it as well made me laugh

I enjoyed Dean Malenko doing that. On the subject of Malenko, I'm reminded how I've always liked his WCW theme:

The matches Malenko had with Eddie Guerrero in ECW, Rey Misterio Jr and Ultimo Dragon in WCW.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2021 at 2:00 AM, Shartnado said:

That was me, it was the Dynamite Grand Slam. She said twice she was completely by herself, and one other time there were three other women. I don't think I mentioned this in my post because it didn't come up until later, but of that group, she said two women were talking about Roman Reigns, and one of them was a non-fan/new to wrestling and came with their boyfriend.

• Like 1

That ladder match was a good time. I get such a kick out of the Best Friends crew's entrance -- it makes them look different than any other alliance and "Where Is My Mind" is surprisingly a great theme wrestling entrance song. Great chaos. I hope PAC survived that fall. I wasn't watching for the Adam Page angle, but that was an all-time great pop. 

Other Pixies songs that would work as great entrance music: Debaser, UMass for an updated Dean Douglas ("It's eduuuucatttionallll!"), Gigantic, Caribou for an updated Mantaur, Wave of Mutilation for The Sandman if he ever goes back to his surfing gimmick but retains the sensibility of the ECW persona we came to know and hopefully not love. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Greggulator said:

That ladder match was a good time. I get such a kick out of the Best Friends crew's entrance -- it makes them look different than any other alliance and "Where Is My Mind" is surprisingly a great theme wrestling entrance song. Great chaos. I hope PAC survived that fall. I wasn't watching for the Adam Page angle, but that was an all-time great pop. 

Other Pixies songs that would work as great entrance music: Debaser, UMass for an updated Dean Douglas ("It's eduuuucatttionallll!"), Gigantic, Caribou for an updated Mantaur, Wave of Mutilation for The Sandman if he ever goes back to his surfing gimmick but retains the sensibility of the ECW persona we came to know and hopefully not love. 

Similarly, while I'm already pretty sick of "Cult of Personality", as long as you're already paying Living Colour licensing fees they should use "Glamour Boys" for a tag team.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

I know you don't keep up with the indies, but OC would come out to Jane by Jefferson Starship, which is also a really dope song for entrance music. TK tried repeatedly to get a hold of anyone from the band or their representation and he never got a call back. They went with Where is My Mind instead, which works really well for OC. 

I'm still hoping they do a video package at some point and get to use Jane for that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

Thunder Rosa should definitely come out to Oh My Golly!  ROSA!  OoooooOooooOoo! ROSA! 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, DEAN said:

Thunder Rosa should definitely come out to Oh My Golly!  ROSA!  OoooooOooooOoo! ROSA! 

I said, "You fu@$in' die."
No, I-- we were just goofin' around
No, no. It didn't have anything to do with anything
She said, "Don't tou- anybody touches my stuff..."
And I said, "You fu@$in' die," like that
I was finishing her part for her
You know what I mean?

(I really wanted to make a "It's a song about a Surfer. Named Rosa. Like, Rosa is her name. And she surfs. So she is a Surfer named Rosa. I think it's called 'The Song That Couldn't Slow Down'." joke... but the song is called "Oh My Golly" and the song "Vamos (Surfer Rosa)" is not about a Surfer named Rosa). (It seems to be about a maid named Maria).

Edited by Gordberg
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

That was me, it was the Dynamite Grand Slam. She said twice she was completely by herself, and one other time there were three other women. I don't think I mentioned this in my post because it didn't come up until later, but of that group, she said two women were talking about Roman Reigns, and one of them was a non-fan/new to wrestling and came with their boyfriend.

The conversation about Roman Reigns is understandable, since obviously, even though he's not there, they were going to have to acknowledge him.

Edited by Shartnado
to added
  • Haha 1

On 10/6/2021 at 7:14 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

ALEVA BLISS IS ALL ELITE!

Got a kick out of Excalibur saying Shida did the deal on the Falcon Arrow. 

I think one of the problems with Cody is he wants to play this hyper-patriotic character which is just so out of touch with the current zeitgeist. We just got out of Afghanistan after 20 years that type of attitude is what got us stuck in those forever wars.

Agree with all the comments about Rick Knox and the Bucks. They no sell and then expect much larger men to sell for them. And The Elite act like Buddy Ryan's polish punt formation where he would run 13 guys onto the field

Edited by zendragon
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, zendragon said:

I think one of the problems with Cody is he wants to play this hyper-patriotic character which is just so out of touch with the current zeitgeist

Agree with you on this, but to go a little deeper, I believe that in itself is a symptom of two things (and others have raised these points before much more coherently):

1) an intentional play at getting the "polarizing" Cena/Roman response to talk up the "controversy" on the reality show

2) That kind of thing is naturally gonna get over in Jacksonville way more than your NYCs or Chicagos

• Like 1

Well not only that, he grew up with Dusty's rose-tinted memories of the business (and most likely they were a little embellished), and then learned to wrestle in, and spent a decade working for, the WWE. The WWE universe is a strange microcosm amongst wrestling fans, let alone ordinary people. It's no wonder he has a Cena complex.

• Like 3