DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - The 2 Year Anniversary - 10/6/2021

Dolfan in NYC

11 minutes ago, AxB said:

Why does everyone hate Cody? Two reasons. The neck tattoo and the Snoop remix.

Someone on the last page said Daniel Garcia was almost 20 years younger than Billy the Fish. He's not. Fish is 44 or 45. Daniel Garcia is 22. He's freakishly good for his age and experience level. Also has a busy weekend; Garcia vs Alex Shelley tonight, vs CM Punk Friday (sort of), vs Minoru Suzuki also on Friday(?) and vs Davey Richards on Saturday.

I hope we get Fish vs Hook at some point.

I brought up that he was almost 40 years younger because I thought Fish was only 40 or 41. Jesus, I didn't realize he was in his mid 40s. Point still stands though that Garcia can do nearly everything Fish can do and is 20+ years younger.. Hell, maybe pair up Fish and Garcia?

21 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

They also did the one where Brian Cage debuted and earned his title shot. Which felt just as pointless. As with Scorpio Sky, not worth a pointless multi-person ladder match.

WWE doing 498 of them a year is why they don't register. So don't do them. At least AEW uses the cage right.

One a year should be grounds for cancellation. DO LESS. 

Although AEW could at least go with a shorter cage so I don't have to sit there and worry the whole time about someone killing themselves off the top of that monster.

Crazy opening match as expected. Kinda broke down near the end with the botched powerbomb but luckily it happened to the Elite so the crowd could rightfully shit on them and they could play it off.

PUNK FEARS HOOK

When did Jordans became the shoe of choice for every wrestler in AEW? I remember Jericho wearing them with skinny jeans a few weeks ago and they looked so out of place on him.

I’m loving Punk vs all the young ones, it goes completely against all dream match predictions everyone had but it feels so refreshing to see.

“What’re you gonna do? Shoot me”, famous last words.

Loved the physicality between Sammy and Fish, really laying their shit in.

That was a damn good match between Shida and Serena, really surprised with the result and the crowd was too letting out a big “whoaaaaaa” with the tap out. Great reaction to that ending.

Holy shit at the bumps Darby was taking on that stop sign and railing. 

FINALLY SHOWED UP TO WORK

Deadeye from top of a ladder onto a table is some crazy video game shit. Match was fun. 

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSsssssssss. Here we go again, this is it, the endgame. Don’t derail it again please.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, eikerir said:

When did Jordans became the shoe of choice for every wrestler in AEW? I remember Jericho wearing them with skinny jeans a few weeks ago and they looked so out of place on him.

Based on BTE, I’m guessing the Young Bucks are proselytizing the roster into becoming Jordan enthusiasts.

6 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I'm all for trying things differently, but having a ladder match with Royal Rumble entrant rules does not work IMO. 

Yeah - this was a bit deflating. Watched the bout on replay - huge pop for Page, but clearing the ring becomes inconsequential when it has no impact on exits from the match. The spots were nicely done here: Hardy really was the odd one out, some peak mid-card guy a decade past his best lumbering around with his sad act. Nice to see Pac & Andrade in main event spots. OC too to be honest. They've improved the attires immeasurably over the past 12 months; production is generally good, but having that huge plastic chip as a prize suspended across the ring is slapstick stuff. At least make it metallic and gold or something.

RE: Cody - people probably dislike him because his act is lame. Its lame to the crowd all away around: from those who like the gimp mask stuff on one polar-end of the card through to the MJF/Danielson esque fans at the total other end. He should have been forced into a heel turn a year ago, which is his natural territory and which (like the Bucks) he would actually be effective at. The Bucks understood their face stuff was lame & world-weary; for whatever reason, he has not. Its a shame really as he should be like a superior-MJF character.

Women's mid-card Championship a good idea. Good platform for likes of Tay Conti, Jamie Hayter etc. The 3-man title is the last thing they need right now: more chaotic spot-fest stuff at a time where they should really calm the tempo down a bit now they've had so many new additions. This actually grows the structure of the women's side of things - which is good. I've said that really they should have kept the TNT on Miro and run him Goldberg-style into a title unification program down the road (not necessarily winning); they could run Jade similarly here. Lot's of ways to go.

They're running the grumpy-old-man stuff on Punk a little too much for my liking. Would be good to see him just inject himself randomly into the Main Event scene from time to time (even if its Stone Cold Stunner-ing then exit style of things) to remind the audience of his physicality & that he's top draw: running him against the lower-card kids while sticking him on commentary routinely does diminish his status a bit IMO.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 1

A decent serviceable show. That said, I don't get seeing why they needed to sign Bobby Fish right now. A one-off TNT title match against Sammy or a few shows sure, but I mean why sign say Bobby Fish over say Matt Cardona or Buddy Matthews? I don't get it.

I already explained why everyone hates Cody. He's US Agent dressed up as Captain America.

I think the problem with Punk is he just hasn't found *THAT* right guy or right feud to dance with. Plus, most everyone else is tied up right now. I think eventually it will happen. Also, I'm fine if for now they are taking things slowly with Punk. Punk isn't a young man anymore and probably only has so many matches left in him. They don't need him mixing it up every week.

I mean now though, I would have Miro target Punk and he can say "God told me to destroy you for being a false idol!" Then Punk can say, "I'm no idol, and there is no god!"

Edited by TheVileOne

As an aside Fat Fifty Year old Jericho pouring out of his jeans as he dispatches a former UFC HW champion is so inane. He's going to be 60 and still on this card somehow. MJF should have sent him riding off into the sunset. What a waste of such a potentially interesting angle with all of these noteworthy former UFC stars they have on the show right now. A very sad waste.

I would wager they’re going to rely on Swagger’s bonafides to keep it somewhat believable between Inner Circle and ATT. Plus, Jericho isn’t Haku or anything, but at least he’s known to be able to handle himself in shoot brawls. He’ll be a commentator eventually, but the young wrestlers on the roster benefit way more right now from getting to work with him than they would getting his spot on cards.

I have some thoughts:

There were parts of the opener I liked. We all know how I view the Young Bucks, so all I'll say about that is that when they botched the IndyTaker and whichever of them looked in the camera and said "that's what we do," all I could do was nod and say "yep, that's what you do; fuck up spots because you only know how to work one speed." 

The Punk promo was good.  I wonder if we're beginning to see diminishing returns. 

Dan Lambert is either an idiot or a genius. Or both. TK needs to pay Paige Van Zant whatever it takes to make the move to full time wrestling. She's a natural.

Nothing else stood out to me until that reveal at the end. Adam Page is the future of AEW. I wonder if Mox turns heel and feuds with him after Page beats Omega. Seems logical to me. 

Well, if Drew is going to be restrained, I'm going to step up and say the Bucks pissed me off last night. I saw at least two occasions when one of them hit Luchasaurus while the latter was on the apron and he went down. The Hell? Maybe my memory is faulty, but I can't imagine one of the Rockers hitting one of the Twin Towers with a simple forearm and expecting them to bump for it.

To reiterate what others have said better, the problem with the Bucks isn't their size, it's that they don't wrestle in a way that makes sense for their size. Rey Mysterio does. Brian Danielson does. Darby Allin does. The Bucks, not so much.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Well, if Drew is going to be restrained, I'm going to step up and say the Bucks pissed me off last night. I saw at least two occasions when one of them hit Luchasaurus while the latter was on the apron and he went down. The Hell? Maybe my memory is faulty, but I can't imagine one of the Rockers hitting one of the Twin Towers with a simple forearm and expecting them to bump for it.

To reiterate what others have said better, the problem with the Bucks isn't their size, it's that they don't wrestle in a way that makes sense for their size. Rey Mysterio does. Brian Danielson does. Darby Allin does. The Bucks, not so much.

Careful. I’ve been told repeatedly that if you’re the young bucks, no choice you make is wrong and your lack of size doesn’t matter because it’s 2021. They can carry themselves like the Steiners because “it’s part of their act” and not a devastating, soaked to the bone lack of self awareness.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I wonder if AEW would be inclined to fill another niche left behind by a closed company and start their own King of Trios, with half roster teams, and the other half teams coming thru the Forbidden Door.

Run the first round over a Dynamite and Rampage.  Round two, the next Dynamite.  Round three, the next Rampage.  Finals on a pay-per-view.

• Like 4