DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - The 2 Year Anniversary - 10/6/2021

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, tbarrie said:

Mox got his rematch in an exploding ring deathmatch.

Obviously I purged that turd of a match from my memory so I would thank you not to bring it back up.

MOX HAS NEVER HAD A REMATCH~!

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

“What are you going to do?  Shoot me?”  Legit had me laughing for the next 20 minutes.  Reminds me of that meme a few years ago.

Stabbing Victim: “”What are you going to do?  Stab me?”

Its something of a Rorschach test.  But yeah… “Hos”. 

Great 8 man tag.  A crazy ladder match.  A very surprising upset for Deeb.  Fuck your trophy.

Was Proud and Powerful taking a shit during the ATT brawl?

I love you AEW.

Edited by Brandon Bones
Forgot my sig.
  • Like 5

I’ll be the person who watched the 8 man and came away from it left cold. I though it had some damn good performances from the babyface side, and I’m becoming a fan of Jungle Boy rapidly, but Omega falls into his worst habits when he’s around the Bucks, and this was very much “overacting that would make Shawn Michaels say ‘okay, bring it down a feel levels guys’” level here. The Piledriver didn’t look good for a move that was supposed to take someone out of the match, the Bucks and Omega doing the pouty faces made me roll my eyes and almost change the channel, and the finishing stretch was a fun idea marred by some botched and off timing. And I know I’ve seen people give JR shit in the past for going in on refs not doing shit about enforcing the rules, but man, I can’t disagree with his notes on how much the ref was letting the Elite get away with. I know what they do is over, but fuck, I could really go for not watching those 4 and I think they are on my “do something else when they are on screen” list.

Sammy/Fish was fine, but didn’t leave an impression on me overall. Sammy is a good bumper, that I can safely say.

Comoroto/Darby was fun, though is the worst victim yet of the split screen stuff. I’ve liked what I’ve seen of Comoroto, and I know Darby’s great, but it’s hard to judge something when you don’t get to really watch the heel control segment.

Serena/Shida had some awkward moments and a not idea commercial break timing, but they really felt like they figured it out in the end. I honestly expected Serena to win this match, and I’m glad she did, I think she is about as good of a worker as they have on the women’s side. Fun heel turn, and a good way to use them keeping track of records into an angle.

The ladder match was about as well done as one of those can get. Some nutso bumps from Andrade and PAC, and the right guy one. I’m kind of over watching Archer and Moxley, and Matt Hardy is pretty clearly just there now, but overall the structure of the match was well executed and the big spots were big.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, AxB said:

Ethan Page wasn't there because his wife was in the hospital.

One Page went on Paternity Leave the same day as the other returned from it.

That makes a lot of sense. Excellent timing. As an added bonus, the fanbase is slightly less confused by all the Pages. And they can keep saying Page is currently on paternity leave and it will still be accurate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Some stuff from last night.

I don’t know if it was a sell out, but it was damn close. 

Christian really sold the injury. On his way to the back he collapsed just before going behind the curtain and we were sure it was legit. 

Sammy/Fish and Shida/Deeb both lost the crowd but got them back in the closing stretches. 

PAC’s back looked gnarly when he was heading to the back. Huge welt. I’m not sure if it was from the table bump though because it looked like Page took most of the actual table. 

Tony came out between Dynamite and Rampage to try to rally the crowd into bringing the energy into the next show and mostly succeeded. 

As far as Rampage:

Spoiler

Garcia/Punk was another decent Punk tv match. He worked his ass off and Garcia brought it, but you can tell Punk isn’t going to kick it into next gear unless it’s a major show or opponent.

Acclaimed/Lucha Bros was good,  but Caster stole the show by instigating a “Fuck Ben Simmons” chant that lasted for like half the match.

Cage and Starks was fine, but having a street fight mostly involving garbage cans and chains after the car wreck we saw during the ladder match wasn’t the move to make. 

TK had Jericho, Taz, Jerry Lynn, and Dean Malenko out to say goodnight because Philly. Punk wandered out for a minute and got a pop for calling himself a former ECW champion. Very fun.

Ooh and Elevation

Spoiler

Janela vs Crowbar(!) with Meanie in Storm’s corner. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Lawful Metal said:

What's the current fighting status of the ATT guys?  Masvidal is clearly still fighting in the UFC.  PVZ is doing the bare knuckle thing (and losing).  I don't know about Arlovski and JDS.  Kayla Harrison is still ragdolling people overseas? 

Arlovski is in the co-main on next Saturdays UFC show. JDS was released earlier this year. Harrison is still fighting at lightweight,  which limits her opportunities,  because there are very few credible women at that weight. The UFC does not have a weekend lightweight division. 

• Like 1

I have gotten to the point where if it's a 6-man tag or more then I don't really give a shit about "rules" enforcement. I have also gotten to the point where despite thinking Rick Knox is maybe the worst ref I've ever seen, when I do see him in the ring, I know, well, this match is going to be a shit show. 

It's like watching baseball. I mean really watching baseball to the point where you're looking at who the umping crew is going to be before the game starts. If I see Joe West's name, I get pretty annoyed and figure he's going to make the game more about him than the game itself. If I see Angel Hernandez's name, well, I know that balls and strikes are going to be completely random. So if you see Rick Knox, don't expect much.

But you're either going to like or dislike the AEW house style for it's multi-person matches. At first, it annoyed me that there was literally no rules enforcement, but I'd rather take that sort of chaos over the typical milquetoast bullshit you'd see anywhere else. For real, how are you going to enforce rules where there are 6 or more people in and around the ring? You can't. And if I'm the ref, I'm sure as hell not going to put myself in the crosshairs of 6 motherfuckers. Fuck that. Hey, oh, ok, you're all just going to just get in the ring or start diving out of the ring, well, uh, I'm going to try to become invisible and get the fuck out of the way.

That's a long way of saying that I really liked the opener. Everyone got a chance to shine, the Superkliq got a chance to be uber dicks by either doing the thing the Bucks do where they hit the ropes and don't do moves and kiss Adam Cole on the cheek or Cole not diving. Each time got to hit some good double, triple, and quadruple team moves. Kenny Omega continues to be the king of recovering from botches. And honestly, that's the right way to deflect from that moment. Accept you fucked up and heel it up. Now, he and the rest of the Elite have the advantage of being heels so they're allowed to do that and a face couldn't, but still, work with the advantages you have. 

Laughed my ass off at Cody asking if Arn was going to shoot him and Arn slapping Cody. The rest of that vignette was...not great? Cody is in the midst of having a very down year. It happens. Not everyone can put up 3, 4, or 5 WAR every year. If it were me booking this though, I'd be leading to Arn trying to break Cody to join up with Tully, MJF, and Pinnacle. Pinnacle would already be feuding with Darby. Then at some point you put Cody with Darby to get some shine back on Cody again and even have Darby slap the shit out of Cody and tell him to stop being a bitch and start fighting. 

Man, Malakai Black is over as fuck. I hate to say, "he can be their Undertaker!" But shit, he can be their Undertaker. Dude has such an aura to him and you can eventually put him up against Sammy or Hangman. 

More and more this feels like a CM Punk retirement tour where he's going to every city to tell them how much he loves them and blah blah blah. Like, that's fine, but the problem is that when you do that promo every week it gets old. You also have to find ways of working in feuds and matches and shit like that. Or like last night, you have Punk getting lost in his promo not once (when talking about his Jordans), but twice (when he flubbed cheesecake for cheesesteak* and tried to save himself). Ultimately, he did save himself, but it's not interesting to come out each week and be smooth jazz FM station CM Punk. I want this fucking guy to be raw and hungry and disgruntled. So while this feels like a retirement tour and if it is, cool, ok, but if it's not, then I hope it's leading to some kind of heel turn for him where he's like, "hey, remember when I told you all week after week how much I loved you all? Yeah, you're all pieces of shit and trying to hang on me. You used my name to express your displeasure with wrestling. You all just use me and use me and use me until there's nothing left so maybe I'll just go home again." And then someone can come out and challenge him.

Motherfuckin' Hangman Adam Page is back and is not just a confused, anxious, millennial, but now he's an exhausted dad. I still wonder if he's going to challenge for the title at Full Gear, but no matter when he challenges for the title, I hope he wins.

• Like 4

I dunno.  I kinda like the vignette because it is so Rocky III.  I like Arn insinuating that success is Cody's problem and that posh has made him soft. 

I just think the right call for the booking would be to have some Texas Chainsaw Massacre final girl thing go one where Cody eventually beats Malakai Black and then goes bugshit insane and turns heel as a result of paying for victory with his soul.  Staring into the abyss as the abyss stares back and all that good shit.

Probably won't happen though.

I would love to see Dustin and QT Marshall have a "I know we hate each other, but we need to talk about Cody" Come to Jesus meeting that resulted in the Factory turning face and rumbling with Cody, Malakai, and heel Big Shotty, but The Factory is tied up in this do nothing feud with what is left of Best Friends.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Obviously I purged that turd of a match from my memory so I would thank you not to bring it back up.

Sorry.

Though honestly, I thought the match was pretty good. It was just the aftermath that was... somewhat lacking.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

What really, that old guy?

Spoiler

Yeah, he was introduced as Crowbar but he wrestled in I guess whatever his most recent gear was before he retired. He looked and moved pretty well, but it only went a little over five minutes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

17 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Sorry.

Though honestly, I thought the match was pretty good. It was just the aftermath that was... somewhat lacking.

Would AEW try a no rope exploding barbed wire match again? Get it right on the second go and it drew on PPV. Tape it in advance. Felt for Omega, Moxley and Kingston for how badly it fucked up with the piss poor exploding boards and ring explosion.

Edited by The Natural

I’m sure things will pick up with Punk at some point, but the deck is so stacked at the top of the card right now I don’t mind him being used as a mascot of sorts who wrestles. Squeezing all this new A List talent into current plans was always going to be a struggle, and he’s probably patient and realizes he has enough cache to coast until the right program comes to him. 

25 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I just think the right call for the booking would be to have some Texas Chainsaw Massacre final girl thing go one where Cody eventually beats Malakai Black and then goes bugshit insane and turns heel as a result of paying for victory with his soul.  Staring into the abyss as the abyss stares back and all that good shit.

Probably won't happen though.

Wayne: Garth, let’s do the Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 ending!

Cody sitting cross legged, smearing Black’s paint on his face, and anointing himself with the antler crown with a thousand-yard stare would be killer.

• Like 5

This Cody thing is another death of superman isn't it? This feels like, as previously mentioned, Rocky III or something like Batman vs Bane from the third Nolan movie. I laughed at the slap and Arn having a trash can fire outside Cody's place. 

Hos Mad title. That's unfortunate. I'd start off with somebody like Deeb as champ and then have Tay dethrone her. 

Not a big fan of Fish when he isn't paired with O'Reilly. One of the first signings I'm not so sure about. Falcon arrow off the top was cool but the match was forgettable. 

Still need to watch the rest of the show. Opener was a bit more generic than I'd like but the Christian spot was well done and helped differentiate it a bit. 

Just now, Jiji said:

Not a big fan of Fish when he isn't paired with O'Reilly. One of the first signings I'm not so sure about. Falcon arrow off the top was cool but the match was forgettable. 

I'm right there with you. To start, I thought Fish's weird ass Q bullshit would make him too radioactive to AEW, but apparently not. Either that or he explained that he had no idea that's what he was going to.

Regardless, I just don't like Fish outside of tagging with Kyle or with anyone for that matter. He's an incredible tag worker and pretty OK as a singles guy. They already have a dude who is kinda on the roster that does the same shit Fish does, but possibly better and is nearly 20 years younger in Garcia. However, like I always say, the world needs ditch diggers too and Fish is a perfectly fine guy to have around to lose to dudes and make them look good in the process.

13 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I don't think Cody should ever beat Black, but that's just me.

I want Cody to beat Black in a match, but I want Cody to destroy himself in the process.  Even in loss, Malakai still wins.

Edited by J.T.

Just now, J.T. said:

I want Cody to beat Black in a match, but I want Cody to destroy himself in the process.  Even in loss, Malakai still wins.

Well, it is AEW, Cody, and Black so I could see what you're proposing happening and I would be fine with that.

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Well, it is AEW, Cody, and Black so I could see what you're proposing happening and I would be fine with that.

Remember the batshit crazy final girl at the end of Tourist Trap?

G1CsYYXGO77CQ=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

That will be Cody Rhodes at the wheel.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Remember the batshit crazy final girl at the end of Tourist Trap?

G1CsYYXGO77CQ=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

That will be Cody Rhodes at the wheel.

Jesus, at first I thought that was a still from Today's Special. Equally just as creepy.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Laughed my ass off at Cody asking if Arn was going to shoot him and Arn slapping Cody. The rest of that vignette was...not great? Cody is in the midst of having a very down year. It happens. Not everyone can put up 3, 4, or 5 WAR every year. If it were me booking this though, I'd be leading to Arn trying to break Cody to join up with Tully, MJF, and Pinnacle. Pinnacle would already be feuding with Darby. Then at some point you put Cody with Darby to get some shine back on Cody again and even have Darby slap the shit out of Cody and tell him to stop being a bitch and start fighting. 

Cody Bellinger Rhodes

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

I want Cody to cut a bezerk promo about "you people don't know hard times like I do" then the whole Nightmare Family runs in to beat the teetotal shit out of him.