DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - The 2 Year Anniversary - 10/6/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Speaking of DVRs, fellow Canadians, TSN has shifted Dynamite to TSN5 this week. Full day of tennis coverage on TSN2. Between multiple channel shifts/preemptings and Rampage being stuck on the app/online, doesn't seem like the TSN/AEW relationship is very fruitful. Big Dave had a tweet about the show's audience in Canada skewing older and with way fewer women watching. I'm a teacher and don't think I've ever heard students talk about AEW. They barely mention WWE. 

• Like 1

Tony Khan’s big announcements always crack me up in their lack of bigness. I guess it’s because we largely envision TK as “one of us” and maybe “above” carny promoter shit in some way, but dude totally pulls out the carny promoter bullshit from time to time. This isn’t even a criticism - it’s great. He’s a promoter after all.

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I don't think they would introduce the TBS title until they're on TBS. Part of me wants the TBS title to just be a red herring if only because a TBS title sounds fucking dumb. At least with a TNT title, you have the wordplay between TNT and Dynamite.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I don't think they would introduce the TBS title until they're on TBS. Part of me wants the TBS title to just be a red herring if only because a TBS title sounds fucking dumb. At least with a TNT title, you have the wordplay between TNT and Dynamite.

My thought process was maybe announce a tournament that runs through November/December and the finals can land on the January 5th debut episode, but you're probably right. I don't like the TBS title name either. I'd rather they finally get a women's tag title up and running before introducing a secondary title. Trios and women's tag and no more titles until the women's division is more established and ready to have two depth charts.

• Like 1

You know what night of the week it is and you know what it means! 
FF786-F4-E-2-E30-4-E1-E-BE1-E-427399-C2-

Already got to see Kip Sabian’s Andy Kaufman bit and Cody running a charity book drive up close. 

Edited by (BP)
  • Like 8

11 minutes ago, (BP) said:

You what know what night of the week it is and you know what it means! 
FF786-F4-E-2-E30-4-E1-E-BE1-E-427399-C2-

Already got to see Kip Sabian’s Andy Kaufman bit and Cody running a charity book drive up close. 

Enjoy, @(BP). Cheers for posting a picture of favourites of mine in #FTR.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

He really needs to stop doing this shit. It's not a surprise or huge announcement if you say it's coming ahead of time.

I get the frustration. It's universally agreed that most of these announcements are not what we as wrestling fans actually consider major or big. But you have to start viewing these as promotion for a TV show. There's a segment booked where we are going to learn something new. No it's probably not going to be a major announcement. But it's how you have to promote the segment. You make a graphic and push a segment with enthusiasm to generate interest. There's not really a way to say it that satisfies TNT if it's properly down played. Tony Kahn will talk? Tony Kahn announces some new information? Like TNT want things to be hyped and promoted and treated as big to generate interest and viewership from their non wrestling minded, TV oriented perspective.

Just giving a different perspective. You're not wrong tho.

• Like 1

Page? Jay White? Steen? Generico? Hero? Cottonbelly?

I feel like Bryan and Kenny are the Jumbo and Tenryu of the 8-man tag, so I expect Kenny will avoid him for a while so the crowd can pop huge when they finally lock up. But it's AEW, not AJPW, so who knows how they'll play it?

October 6th in America = October 7th here, so this Dynamite birthday celebration feels like it's for my birthday as well. Going for lunch with my wife as soon as the show is over. Not a bad way to start my 56th year!

Edited by Gordberg
  • Like 10

Philly, man. This show, that crowd, shows why it's the capital of US pro-wrestling as far as I'll ever be concerned. Punk daring to play the cheesesteak/cheesecake angle was a real cute way of seeing if he can still get booed. I like the answer he got. Excalibur's "corner of Swanson & Rittner" call during the main... I could smell the Bengay <3.

I like the big hot tag match opener better than the "best match we've got tonight" opener. Adam Cole not diving so that he could taunt & be goozled is what he should be adding to these matches, Jesus, that catchphrase is over. I hate heel ref angles but I don't know how else to justify Knox counting anything, much less quadruple-team finishers.

Credit where credit's due - Dan Lambert cut off Judas at the perfect time to force the a capella sing-along. Sometimes he gets real heat, sometimes he gets go-away heat. Sometimes Jericho commands a crowd like no other, sometimes he's a tryhard oldbag. Nice to see both of the upsides hit in the same segment.

They need to find a happy medium between edgelord Max Caster and whatever yo-baby-yo-baby-yo stuff they wrote for him tonight.

TOO MANY TALENTS. Bobby Fish is certainly better than a lot of guys who have proper contracts. When does AEW start cutting day-one midcard "projects" for fully-formed workhorses like Fish? Do they ever? Is it worth the PR hit? These questions are anything but rhetorical.

Deeb/Shida was needed, both in terms of the talent being on TV and as a means to express the depth of the Women's Division. They looked like two Pokemon cartridges fighting out there. I usually understand why control segments end up on PiP but I'm gonna rewatch a rip of this one. I kinda knew Shida was losing when they showed the trophy but I like the story being told there. btw just call the fuckin' Serenity Lock Serenity Now.

I need somebody to make an "MJF PUSHES MONGO" sign. Y'know, that's a very different phrase in the TNT wrestling dialect...

Every time I see a multi-person ladder match, I think... what if NXT booked that sort of a match and Kacy Catanzaro, American Ninja Warrior standout, just wins the whole thing in a minute? PAC/Andrade, feud forever, if they're alive. I mean JESUS, PAC should be in a wheelchair for a month. I love that Jon Moxley has the kind of gimmick that can dip down into a more upper-midcard feel when the booking calls for it. The Page stuff writes itself, if this was WWE I'd say I was glad that they ran this in front of a smart town - I'm still worried that he's going to cool off, but now is better than never and Kenny is in a feud that doesn't need a belt. There's a time for the obvious. Kenny/Page, pull the trigger. 

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 4