DVDVR Message Board

UFC 167: St-Pierre vs. Hendricks (11/16/2013) - Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Gonna be hard to do instant rematch when one guy basically is pulling a Floyd and taking a year or 2 off. 

ahhh. you beat me too it.

P.S. Lawler whooping McDonald was still awesome. And Rashad clowning Chael.

GSP may be done DONE.

I've heard he has been looking for a way out of the sport well before the knee injury.  He really hasn't been all that passionate about MMA for a long time now.

Glf, interesting about how you saw rounds 1 and 2. I still gave round 1 to Johny, but it was much closer than round 2 was.

Look, this was just a shit decision. It's nowhere close to being the worst ever. This is also why you don't take a round off. Johny's biggest mistake was coasting in round 5 when he could have taken that one as well.

Hopefully now though, people see what I'm talking about regarding Hendricks' abilities.

I thought Hendricks won the fight, but I'm in no way outraged by the decision.  I really wish I watched the fight at home so I could rewatch the first round, but those guys are about as evenly matched as humanly possible.  Hendricks has a clear power advantage and GSP has a pretty clear advantage with technique, but everything else is essentially a toss up on whoever can take advantage of the other's mistakes.  I've been watching MMA a long time and this year seems to be the year where basically every champion has had their toughest fights.  After 20 years of UFC I think we are finally getting to the point where no champion is safe.  Other than Jose Aldo, I don't think there is a single champion who hasn't been in the fight of their life this year. 

Sounds like a cop out but I actually had the fight as a draw.  I thought the first round was 10-10.  I'd give Hendricks more grief for Round 3 than 5 but fuck, whether he "won" or not, he showed everyone where he stands as a fighter.  It's not like the loss means he has to start over from the bottom.

Glf, interesting about how you saw rounds 1 and 2. I still gave round 1 to Johny, but it was much closer than round 2 was.

Look, this was just a shit decision. It's nowhere close to being the worst ever. This is also why you don't take a round off. Johny's biggest mistake was coasting in round 5 when he could have taken that one as well.

Hopefully now though, people see what I'm talking about regarding Hendricks' abilities.

Yeah I could see giving the first to Johny, but it was close. I don't think its a bad decision though it's just one of those fights where one guy clearly won the rounds that he won with dominance and the other guy just edged out the rounds that he won so in the end it looks odd. But when it's broken down round by round, what can you do?

I think Johny's downfall was like you said but not only taking off round five but coming out flat in the third round. After he had Gsp hurt in the second round he let him recover towards the end and when they came out in the third round Johny was just flat and slow. I think he spent a lot of energy and it cost him that third round because Georges just controlled the standup that round. And then he had the big fourth round and came out flat again in the fifth.

I won't say that I am content that Hendricks lost the fight because I wanted him to win and thought he deserved the fight many many months ago but to say he was screwed out of the win is just wrong.   I have a boxing mentality that in order to win a belt you have to decisively prove you were better than the champ.  I don't think Johnny did anything in the last round to justify the win while GSP fought like hell to win it. 

I know the what if game sucks but what if Johnny Hendricks doesn't lose his mouthpiece in the 2nd round.  He was crushing GSP to the point where it looked like he was ready to go.  they had the break and while Johnny won the round clearly GSP made a small respectful comeback.

GSP retiring stuff just screams "Threatening retirement to see if Dana gets spooked enough that he gives me an even bigger cut from the rematch".

He already has that power so that's not really an issue.

Okay, first things first, we all need to give props to Craig H.  He stood by his man Hendricks and he won.  I had Hendricks winning 4 rounds to 1.  At best for GSP, he won 2 rounds.  Giving him 3 to 2?  That shit is just embarrassing.  I mean, flat out "making me want to say goodbye to the sport" embarrassing.

• Like 2

Okay, first things first, we all need to give props to Craig H.  He stood by his man Hendricks and he won.  I had Hendricks winning 4 rounds to 1.  At best for GSP, he won 2 rounds.  Giving him 3 to 2?  That shit is just embarrassing.  I mean, flat out "making me want to say goodbye to the sport" embarrassing.

So maybe something good comes out of the decision after all?

• Like 2

i had Hendricks clearly winning rds 1 and 4, GSP getting the nod in 2 and 5, with 3 being the swing round, which i felt Hendricks won.

also, fuck yeah, Robbie Lawler!

The second round was Hendricks' most dominant round of the entire fight in my opinion.

• Like 1

It's been real epwar

• Like 4

First full PPV I've watched since Rousey/Carmouche, enjoyed all the fights. Woodley's KO ruled and Robbie Lawler getting the win was surprising but great to see. Main event had a big time feel and good hype going in to get this one. It was a hell of a fight, definitely thought Hendricks had it for sure and was shocked when the result was announced. I like both guys so I don't mind the result, GSP rules hope he's not done for good.

Damien Sandow gets screwed again.

Ha, was killing me being unable to figure out who he was reminding me of so much..

On first viewing this did not seem Machida vs. Shogun 1 bad. More like Jones/Gus or Condit/Diaz.

I think it was worst then Jones/Gus cause Jones actually hurt Gus. George had some good jabs, and landed lots, but never came close to doing any damage to Hendricks. 

On first viewing this did not seem Machida vs. Shogun 1 bad. More like Jones/Gus or Condit/Diaz.

I think it was worst then Jones/Gus cause Jones actually hurt Gus. George had some good jabs, and landed lots, but never came close to doing any damage to Hendricks.

But the rules don't say anything about 'damage'

• Like 1