DVDVR Message Board

UFC 167: St-Pierre vs. Hendricks (11/16/2013) - Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_167_St._Pierre_vs._Hendricks_Poster.

UFC 167: St-Pierre vs. Hendricks

November 16, 2013

Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

UFC Welterweight Championship: Georges St-Pierre © (170) vs. Johny Hendricks (170) (ninth defense) - St-Pierre, DEC (split)

Rashad Evans (205) vs. Chael Sonnen (206) - Evans, TKO (punches), R1 (4:05)

Rory MacDonald (171) vs. Robbie Lawler (170) - Lawler, DEC (split)

Josh Koscheck (170) vs. Tyron Woodley (171) - Woodley, KO (punches), R1 (4:38)

Tim Elliott (125) vs. Ali Bagautinov (126) - Bagautinov, DEC (unanimous)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:

Donald Cerrone (155) vs. Evan Dunham (156) - Cerrone, SUB (triangle choke), R2 (3:49)

Ed Herman (186) vs. Thales Leites (186) - Leites, DEC (unanimous)

Brian Ebersole (171) vs. Rick Story (170) - Story, DEC (unanimous)

Érik Pérez (135) vs. Edwin Figueroa (135) - Perez, DEC (unanimous)

Facebook Preliminary Card:

Jason High (170) vs. Anthony Lapsley (170) - High, DEC (unanimous)

Will Campuzano (135) vs. Sergio Pettis (135) - Pettis, DEC (unanimous)

Gian Villante (205) vs. Cody Donovan (205) - Villante, TKO (punches), R2 (1:22)

Event Bonuses ($50,000):

Knockout of the Night: Tyron Woodley

Submission of the Night: Donald Cerrone

Fight of the Night: Georges St-Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks

Attendance: 14,856

Gate: $5.7 million

Buyrate: 650,000

Cancelled Bouts:

Robert Drysdale vs. Cody Donovan - Drysdale Failed Pre-Fight Drug Test (elevated testosterone)

Sergio Pettis vs. Vaughan Lee - Injury to Lee

Ed Herman vs. Rafael Natal - Natal Moved to Another Event

Alistair Overeem vs. Frank Mir - Bout Moved to Another Event

As much as I'd like to see Robbie Lawler uppercut the bejeesus out of MacDonald, Rory will come into the fight in tip top shape, work his game plan, and DEC Lawler.

Rory needs to be put in a rematch with Condit.

• Like 1

What are the chances of Koscheck getting cut should he lose decisively here?

As much as I'd like to see Robbie Lawler uppercut the bejeesus out of MacDonald, Rory will come into the fight in tip top shape, work his game plan, and DEC Lawler.

Rory needs to be put in a rematch with Condit.

I always want to get behind Lawler (esp. this "no fucks given" version), but I just know he is going to disappoint.

I predicted a Lawler by KO in two but that's heart over head decision. Looking forward to the show.

• Like 1

Johny is going to blow up GSP in round 1.

Now are you saying he is going to blow up GSP in R1 or are you saying that he is going to blow up / gas out in Round 1 during the fight?

I could believe either one.

Now are you saying he is going to blow up GSP in R1 or are you saying that he is going to blow up / gas out in Round 1 during the fight?

Judging from the pattern of Johny's victories, I think he is going to KTFO GSP in the first round. 

If Rory wins, would that make him #1 contender?  If so, what happens if GSP wins and the two of them still won't fight?

I'd like to see Rory beat a top 5 fighter before making that distinction.  But, seeing as how carefully the UFC has handled him, I doubt we'll see that happen.

Judging from the pattern of Johny's victories, I think he is going to KTFO GSP in the first round. 

If a Matt Serra backfist can put GSP down, then certainly one of Johnny's meat hooks can.  Your chin does not get better as time goes by.  Either you can take a punch or you can't.

If Rory wins, would that make him #1 contender?  If so, what happens if GSP wins and the two of them still won't fight?

I'd like to see Rory beat a top 5 fighter before making that distinction.  But, seeing as how carefully the UFC has handled him, I doubt we'll see that happen.

They are not carefully handling him really. You can't look at someone like Jake Ellenberger (the same guy who made Carlos Condit do a forward roll on one punch and turned Shields' brain into mush) and say that's an easy night. If you got two guys training together with one as champ who said explicitly they won't fight each other, what would be the incentive to have the other guy fight the elite guys? Cormier got Mir and Nelson, who both came off horrendous losses. That's careful matchmaking to make sure you are not throwing contenders off course. Fighting Jake Ellenberger and Robbie Lawler coming off knockout wins after you've had time on and off the shelf isn't exactly careful. Careful matchmaking is making sure you KNOW a particular person doesn't have a great chance at upsetting the apple cart. UFC matchmaking is done by guys who have a tremendous amount of trial-and-error under their belts.

Wasn't Jake Ellenberger in the top five when Rory beat him?  

In terms of rankings, MacDonald is basically next in line after Hendricks.  Condit is ranked ahead of him and beat him before, but he just fought for the title last November and has gone 1-1 since that fight.

Hendricks is unlike anyone else GSP has faced and what makes him particularly dangerous is how understated he's been. Kid is legit. My only hope is that he doesn't go headhunting and instead focuses on his wrestling and BJJ game for this match. I think Johny gets in trouble when he seemingly forgets he has this amazing pedigree and instead chooses to rely on the big looping haymaker.

Hendricks is unlike anyone else GSP has faced and what makes him particularly dangerous is how understated he's been. Kid is legit. My only hope is that he doesn't go headhunting and instead focuses on his wrestling and BJJ game for this match. I think Johny gets in trouble when he seemingly forgets he has this amazing pedigree and instead chooses to rely on the big looping haymaker.

He's a wrestler with knockout power and the wrestling part is something that gsp doesn't even have to worry about. Johnny is going to be on his back the entire fight and he offers zero danger from that position. Gsp only has to avoid the big shot on his way to taking him down. That big looping haymaker that you want Hendricks to avoid is literally his only chance at a victory.
  • Like 2