DVDVR Message Board

Tyson Gay / PED's

Guest The Magnificent 7

Guest The Magnificent 7

http://espn.go.com/olympics/trackandfield/story/_/id/9476832/us-sprinter-tyson-gay-tests-positive-race

Fairly refreshing response by Tyson Gay in this story as his A sample tested positive for some undisclosed substance. 

This kind of response should be the norm instead of an aberration, and I know you shouldn't get extra credit for doing the right thing.  When you screw up, you hold your hand up and admit it. 

But kudos to the man for taking responsibility and owning up to his mistake and not offering some ridiculous tainted tortilla chips-like excuse.

It doesn't sound to me from those quotes that he is taking full responsibility.  "I basically put my trust in someone and I was let down."  It sounds like the Barry Bonds defense: that he "unknowingly" took a banned substance.

Guest The Magnificent 7

It doesn't sound to me from those quotes that he is taking full responsibility.  "I basically put my trust in someone and I was let down."  It sounds like the Barry Bonds defense: that he "unknowingly" took a banned substance.

While he does say that, he also says that them's the breaks as it is his responsibility what goes in his body and he should have been more careful.  That coupled with the fact he voluntarily removed himself from competition says a lot about the man from my perspective. 

Guest The Magnificent 7

I trusted these mofos that I paid a lot of money to make sure I didn't fail a test.  They let me down. :(

Man, I thought I was cynical.  ;P

I can definitely see your P.O.V and what he's said is worlds better than the "tainted beef" defense.  On a related note, I am not watching the Tour de France this year.  I used to watch it every year, but after so many recent champions having eventually testing positive-- it was too much for me.  If I can't trust a sporting event, it is pointless.

"They already know it is some type of accident, or some type of … I don't want to use certain words, to make it seem like an accident, because I know exactly what went on, but I can't discuss it right now,"

Is he implying some sort of sabotage?

I can definitely see your P.O.V and what he's said is worlds better than the "tainted beef" defense.  On a related note, I am not watching the Tour de France this year.  I used to watch it every year, but after so many recent champions having eventually testing positive-- it was too much for me.  If I can't trust a sporting event, it is pointless.

Yeah, it's the same this year because the current leader Chris Froome came out of nowhere and claims he's totally clean, yet is putting up ridiculous power numbers comparable to Armstrong in his doping prime and blowing away former grand tour winners and ex-dopers.  Like, today's stage where Froome basically powered up Mont Ventoux sitting on his bike like it was just a casual ride in the park.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Is he implying some sort of sabotage?

Could be, to me he was implying that a source of supplements attested to their cleanliness, but clearly there was something in them they didn't divulge. 

But either way, as Randy said, it's not perfect, but compared to the likes of Ryan Braun and others, this was about as best a mea culpa I've seen from an athlete testing positive.  He at least sounds apologetic for letting himself and people down before the B sample is even done.

Yeah, it's the same this year because the current leader Chris Froome came out of nowhere and claims he's totally clean, yet is putting up ridiculous power numbers comparable to Armstrong in his doping prime and blowing away former grand tour winners and ex-dopers.  Like, today's stage where Froome basically powered up Mont Ventoux sitting on his bike like it was just a casual ride in the park.

Froomes came out of nowwhere? last year he could have won but stayed with the team plan for Wiggins

and yes he probably is on drugs and i think the same when Cadel Evans won to :(

Froomes came out of nowwhere? last year he could have won but stayed with the team plan for Wiggins

and yes he probably is on drugs and i think the same when Cadel Evans won to :(

Froome was a virtual unknown before the 2011 Vuelta where all of a sudden he gets second.  Sort of like Armstrong suddenly getting 4th in the Vuelta before his Tour run or Leipheimer getting third in the 2001 Vuelta.

(And for you to even think Evans was on something when he won...)

Froome was a virtual unknown before the 2011 Vuelta where all of a sudden he gets second.  Sort of like Armstrong suddenly getting 4th in the Vuelta before his Tour run or Leipheimer getting third in the 2001 Vuelta.

(And for you to even think Evans was on something when he won...)

the thing is i think Evans and Froome are or did drugs to win but for some reason i don't think the same as Wiggins maybe cause im sucked in to all his strong talk of anti doping

i will say that Athletics and Cycling are better at catching stars doping than any other sport

the thing is i think Evans and Froome are or did drugs to win but for some reason i don't think the same as Wiggins maybe cause im sucked in to all his strong talk of anti doping

i will say that Athletics and Cycling are better at catching stars doping than any other sport

I don't think Evans did if you look at his past racing profile.  Evans luckily won because of Andy Schleck's bad time trailing and Andy's strange behavior to always wanting to look out for Frank and vice versa, even if it's a detriment to their current race situation.  Well, and also Contador was brazenly attacking in the final week or so even if the results would have been thrown out anyway.

In retrospect, I don't think Wiggins was doping, even if some of the other members of his team were doping.  He just got lucky to be racing a TdF with an abundance of relatively flat time trialing and no strong competition (Nibali coming in second?  Oof...).  The stars may also have been aligned just right too since in 2011 there were two probably one time only Grand Tour winners (since Hesjedal will probably never sniff another podium again) and almost a third if Purito and Katusha were paying attention when Contador attacked in the Vuelta.

And I'm not sure if cycling's doing better to catch dopers when you have the UCI trying to cover up Armstrong's doping until the last possible moment...

I choose to believe everyone in every major sport is on something, so I'm not surprised when something happens to them, even the folks I root for or like. A sad, pessimistic world-view of sports it is, but it works wonders!

Truth is, I can't bring myself to give even the slightest hint of a damn about guys being on PEDs.  It just doesn't matter to me at all.

Barry Bonds is still the greatest baseball player I ever saw.

• Like 1

I can definitely see your P.O.V and what he's said is worlds better than the "tainted beef" defense. On a related note, I am not watching the Tour de France this year. I used to watch it every year, but after so many recent champions having eventually testing positive-- it was too much for me. If I can't trust a sporting event, it is pointless.

I understand the sentiment, but I find this post hysterical considering we are on a pro wrestling forum.

PED's have made it so that I can't get the same interest in sports where it occurs.  I mean hypothetically I could root for Usain Bolt but then one day it'll come out that he's been doing it and I'd feel like it was all a lie.  I still can't enjoy baseball the same way I previously did but i guess PED's usage in sports lead to a different for everyone.

The problem with admitting it is you can end up like Dwain Chambers who admitted everything he did, went around schools giving talks on it etc....and got blacklisted from every diamond league and high level event available. Whereas you can get caught multiple times, like Justin Gatlin, deny everything and then every body gives you more and more chances.

I see Bradley Wiggins around a bit (he lives like 2 miles from me) and I don't have much trouble believing he's clean.