DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON (Maybe soon???)

RIPPA

21 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

On some level, I realize it makes no sense, but I really do long for the days when the two leagues were actually different - different umpires, different umpire equipment, different rules, etc.  Anymore, it makes no sense to call them the American and National Leagues - they should be called the American and National Conferences.  

• Like 2

Did some quick back of the envelope math

Play every team at least one series = 3 games x 29 Teams = 87 games

Play every team in your league but not in division another 3 games = 3 x 10 = 30 Games (6 total games against the other league opponents)

That leaves 45 games for the division = 57 games against division (so 13 or 14 games against a division opponent) (45 + 12 from above)

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Punishment if you finish "near the bottom" multiple years in a row

unless the punishment is "you're forced to sell your team to someone who actually wants to try" this sounds like it's going to exacerbate the problem it purports to solve.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

They flat out said a team will play all 29 teams every year 

I interpreted the Jared Diamond tweet on here to say that there'd home and road series vs the interleague opponents but it doesn't actually say that either

Having better balance with 3 different non-division winners in the playoffs makes some sense but I don't think that 45 interleague games makes sense.

Maybe 18 vs each divisional rival instead of 19. That's 72 games, then the remaining 90 games include 60 vs the other 10 league teams (3 home/3 road), and 30 interleague (3 home and 3 road vs 5 opponents works better than 2 game 'series' vs 15 opponents)