DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON (Maybe soon???)

RIPPA

Greatest player at his position of his era.

Face of a legacy franchise, and the cornerstone of returning said legacy franchise to not only relevance but prominence.

the one person who doesn't vote for Posey on his first hall of fame ballot should lose their right to vote on anything, forever.

Sorrow that his career was so relatively short is offset by the solace of never having to see him in another team's uniform, and that he went out while he was still on top.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Greatest player at his position of his era.

Face of a legacy franchise, and the cornerstone of returning said legacy franchise to not only relevance but prominence.

the one person who doesn't vote for Posey on his first hall of fame ballot should lose their right to vote on anything, forever.

Sorrow that his career was so relatively short is offset by the solace of never having to see him in another team's uniform, and that he went out while he was still on top.

The knock will be that he missed a TON of time. Great player but not an overwhelming one. 

Guess I woke up and chose violence (Somewhere John is absolutely cackling that I am making this post)

Some of you are not afraid to take hyperbole to its absolute extreme.

Before I go any further - I am placing these caveats so they are seen.

1) Do I like Buster Posey? Yes. Do I think he will eventually make the HOF? Yes

2) Everyone is a HOFer now that Harold Baines is in

"Greatest player at his position of his era" is an amazing declaration to make when Yadier Molina (who I loathe) is still playing and Joe Mauer existed. Did Molina ever have a single season as good as Posey? No. But Molina is also going to play almost 20 years at a position that absolutely destroys guys physically (and Posey and Mauer might be examples 1 and 1a of this) and is also almost assuredly a Hall of Famer (a lot of this is due to the block of voters and PITCH FRAMING~!). And some people might now argue that Salvador Perez is now part of this conversation (Lord catcher is a bleak fucking place for the last decade). In many ways, Posey will benefit and also be punished for his short career. Maybe he is the greatest catcher of his era but without defining exactly what you are looking at - I can't make that definite statement yet.

As for "lock first ballot HOF" (or the implication he should be a unanimous Hall of Famer which almost has me believing Bobby's NFL Conspiracy bit has moved into full time bits everywhere) - my immediate counter to that is: Thurman Munson.

It is eerie how similar Thurman and Posey are - in fact, Baseball Reference has Thurman as Posey's 3rd most similar batter (Posey's most similar batter is Terry Steinbach who, like Thurman isn't in the Hall of Fame. Thurman also has Steinbach as his most similar batter). Thurman, like Buster, also has those superfluous things that writers love to point out (Rookie of the Year, MVP, RINGS~!). Insert the usual different era discussion here - Buster's counting numbers are slightly higher (except in the speed categories) where Thurman's offense and defensive WARs are both higher (in the range of 2 to 3 games better with each)

Again - I am more looking at this from the weird whims of the HOF voting block. Most likely they are gonna put Molina in first (who will be eligible a year after Posey). Usual shit you are hearing now as the reason way "HE IS A CARDINAL! PLAYS THE RIGHT WAY~!"

The most recent catcher to get in on the first ballot was Pudge and his numbers BLOW away Posey's. Piazza had to wait 4 and his numbers also blow away Posey's

Mauer in 2024 (Victor Martinez is also and Brian McCann is on in 2025) and will probably give an early indication towards how Posey would do. If Mauer does poorly and especially if he is gone after one ballot, Posey isn't getting in on the first try. Now - what will help Posey at the moment is that after 2025, the classes get really weak (like right now his 2027 1st time ballot mates are - Jay Bruce and Jordan Zimmermann)

• Like 2

Okay - baseball things are still gonna happen despite all the weirdness that this offseason is gonna bring

Nick Castellanos has exercised his opt-out with the Reds. He had two years and $34MM remaining on his deal. If you are wondering why - his agent is Scott Boras

Rockies decline Ian Desmond's option ($15 million option he will get $2 million buyout)

Arizona picked up Merrill Kelly's $5.25 million option while declining Kole Calhoun's $9 million option (buy out was $2 million)

And finally to the surprise of no one - the Phillies have declined the options on Andrew McCutchen ($15 million) and Odubel Herrera ($11.5). Their buyouts are $3 million and $2.5 million respectively

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The most recent catcher to get in on the first ballot was Pudge and his numbers BLOW away Posey's. Piazza had to wait 4 and his numbers also blow away Posey's

Mauer in 2024 (Victor Martinez is also and Brian McCann is on in 2025) and will probably give an early indication towards how Posey would do. If Mauer does poorly and especially if he is gone after one ballot, Posey isn't getting in on the first try. Now - what will help Posey at the moment is that after 2025, the classes get really weak (like right now his 2027 1st time ballot mates are - Jay Bruce and Jordan Zimmermann)

Yeah, like with 3B, the voters really have no clue with Catchers.  But too, the Sabr community hasn't helped with the pitch framing nonsense. 

When McCann and Russell Martin retired, you saw even the Sabr set talk about both as HOFers because they framed pitches better than anyone has every framed pitches before and that is worth eleventy bazillion runs...and that feels...sketchy.  If the bar with Catchers of the Posey era now is that Posada and Varitek (not naming them as actually being HOF worthy but not dismissing them as inferior to McCann and Martin either) are one and done, then the Posey issue is not quite cut and dry.

My gut is Posey and Yadi are sure HOFers.  And I feel they will get in first ballot.  That's more because of the talking points - and as Phil mentioned, the weaker ballots.  (Mauer is a completely different animal because he was basically Posey's equal as a hitter and catcher...but spent a lot of time being a mediocre 1B.  God knows what the score will be on him.)  Posey has issues with a short playing time and a lot of injuries.  His offense, despite the batting titles, is not THAT eye-popping where you can put him in the upper echelon of catchers either.

And for god's sakes, Johnny Bench was not a unanimous HOFer.  Why would anyone think Posey would be one?

• Like 1

Molina is the best example I can think of for a player who has batting stats which on the surface appear merely okay (.733 OPS doesn't exactly make you weep with joy) but when you look at the totality of the player he's straight to the top of the list at his position for me. I will be fine with that guy being a 1st ballot.

The Guardians have picked up Jose Ramirez's $12 million option while decline Roberto Perez's $7 million option

Unsurprisingly, Kyle Schwarber has declined his part of his $11.5 mutual option

White Sox declined Cesar Hernandez's $6 million option

The Yanks are letting both Brett Gardner and Darren O'Day hit free agency (both had weird complex mutual options)

Joc Pederson has declined his part of the $10 million mutual option he had with the Braves

the first Dominican Winter league i'll stream through MLB is technically Leones/Estrellas (with 41 year old Albert Pujols as the DH for the Leones) but i'm very inclined to switch to Licey/Aguilas which starts 15 minutes after Leones/Estrellas.

Robinson Cano is gonna show up for Estrellas soonish (but not tonight) so there's some real old man baseball energy in the DR this winter.

As noted earlier, you have to scroll down a little to find the games, and they're playing all Dominican-centered Spanish commercials as opposed to the repetitive MLB TV commercials when you'd watch games through their service.

Edited by Cobra Commander

14 players received QOs (which reminder is $18.4 this year)

• Brandon Belt, Giants
  • Nick Castellanos, Reds
  • Michael Conforto, Mets
  • Carlos Correa, Astros
  • Freddie Freeman, Braves
  • Raisel Iglesias, Angels
  • Robbie Ray, Blue Jays
  • Eduardo Rodriguez, Red Sox
  • Corey Seager, Dodgers
  • Marcus Semien, Blue Jays
  • Trevor Story, Rockies
  • Noah Syndergaard, Mets
  • Chris Taylor, Dodgers
  • Justin Verlander, Astros

The most notable player who didn't get one was Clayton Kershaw. Also not receiving one: Jon Gray, Carlos Rodon, Avisail Garcia, Anthony DeSclafani and Alex Wood

Now I will start this with the reminder that much like the trade deadline - everyone coming out right now is a lie

THAT being said - Jeff Passan said that the general sense at the GM meetings is that teams are telling players "Sign now or wait until February" (February being the expectation of when the new CBA will be agreed to after a couple of month lockout)

Now we are coming to the "take with bags of salt" phase - per Passan (which is clearly coming from agents, especially Scott Boras) that a lot of players looking to sign pre-Dec 1. Again this is all agent bluster. You can flat out see it in this blurb from Passan's story (hidden behind a paywall)

IF YOU WAIT! IT IS GOING TO BE SCARY AND COLD AND THERE WILL BE WOLVES AFTER YOU!!!

Former major league infielder Julio Lugo has passed away after suffering what is believed to be a heart attack, his family tells Enrique Rojas of ESPN. He was 45 years old.

Lugo played in twelve major league seasons, suiting up for the Astros, Devil Rays, Dodgers, Red Sox, Cardinals, Orioles and Braves between 2000-11. He was the primary shortstop on the Red Sox’s 2007 World Series-winning team, part of a seven-year run as a regular at the position.

Lugo appeared in 120+ games in six of seven seasons between 2001-07 before transitioning into a utility role later in his career. Altogether, the slick-fielding infielder appeared in 1352 MLB games, hitting .269/.333/.384 with 80 home runs over 5338 plate appearances.