DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON (Maybe soon???)

RIPPA

So reports are that 4 teams voted against MLB presenting the offer it did to the players (the supposed "best last deal") because they thought it already gave too much to the players

While the union found the offer too slanted in favor of the league, some on the MLB side apparently viewed the proposal as going too far towards the players’ asks. Andy Martino of SNY reports that during a video call between all 30 ownership groups and MLB leadership, four owners voted against the terms of the league’s final offer to the union on Tuesday. MLB needs approval from 23 of the 30 ownership groups to agree to their end of a new CBA, so the league was able to proceed with its offer with the assent of the other 26 owners.

Obviously, the terms of that deal weren’t sufficient to get the union’s approval. Yet some of the owners who were on-board with the league’s proposal Tuesday are evidently hesitant to move any further in the players’ direction. Martino writes that the call “made it clear” that more owners would oppose any offer that pushes the base CBT threshold above the $220MM mark the league put forth. The MLBPA, meanwhile, proposed a $238MM base tax marker in 2022. Martino writes that the union refuses to entertain any offer with a 2022 tax threshold lower than $230MM.

The Athletic now reports that those 4 teams (well more specifically owners) are: Angels owner Arte Moreno, D-backs owner Ken Kendrick, Reds owner Bob Castellini and Tigers owner Chris Ilitch.

While it isn't directly said about these 4 teams - the implication amongst owners is teams like the Dodgers, Mets and Yanks will just keep spending (The Athletic report noted that supposedly the Mets and Yanks are fine with a higher CBT threshold)

Not to mention they tried to sneak bullshit things into to nickle-and-dime the CBT to be even MORE restrictive. They wanted to count the players FOOD STIPENDS against the CBT.

They learned the wrong lesson from their near inhumane treatment of minor leaguers last year.

That level of bullshit is.... amazing.

Get out the guillotines.

Edited by SirFozzie
  • Like 4

Just another reminder how no games will be played this year

MLBPA made another offer which some concessions here and there (like agreeing to some form of MLB changing the rules ASAP and the playoffs, among other things)

MLB immediately ran to the press to be all THIS IS A SHIT OFFER! WORSE THAN THE LAST ONE!!! CLEARLY THE PLAYERS DONT WANT A DEAL!!!

So then the PA went to the media and told MLB to fuck off

• Like 1

Obviously MLB is not the CFL, I mean, barely even the same galaxy, but I do think there's something to the theory that in this age of unlimited entertainment at our fingertips there is a legitimate danger of losing fans if you sit out a year for whatever reason, because some casuals will move on a lot more easily now than ever before. A year off hurt the CFL real bad and no amount of spinning boogeymen about why changes the facts. MLB is obviously in a far, far better position but if they think they are bulletproof to this phenomenon they're in for a huge wake up call.

Also, given the current climate of social media being full of people mostly rightly aggreived that they bust their ass for some bullshit rich corporation, screwing over minor leaguers as hard as humanly possible in full view of the facts is a really bold play.

EDIT

While I'm at it, this is a ludicrously bad look

• Like 2

I am fully expecting opening day to come and go with no baseball and for everyone at MLB to be kind of sadly surprised at how little anyone seems to notice because 13 new series dropped and Jake Paul farted on Keemstar and a bear got into an Aldi's to eat some bread and Aldi bear runs for president before we find out he's a Putin sympathizer and he goes on Rogan and eats Jordan Peterson and then we all love him again.

And then when they do start up again, how few people even notice, and ho the few that want to watch won't be able to because by then their local RSN will be charging membership fees for games or locked out of the cable package or whatever.

If nothing else this will be a good test case for the divide between the pessimists who say "nothing ever changes" and the pessimists who say "things have really changed this time."

But don't worry, your local Onceler will be okay.  He'll just buy your hockey team.

Edited by piranesi
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm just amazed that baseball wants to stay relevant, but it ignores how the CBAs in both Football and Basketball have become more player friendly, yet, baseball owners are like "naw, not for us!"

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Obviously MLB is not the CFL, I mean, barely even the same galaxy, but I do think there's something to the theory that in this age of unlimited entertainment at our fingertips there is a legitimate danger of losing fans if you sit out a year for whatever reason, because some casuals will move on a lot more easily now than ever before. A year off hurt the CFL real bad and no amount of spinning boogeymen about why changes the facts. MLB is obviously in a far, far better position but if they think they are bulletproof to this phenomenon they're in for a huge wake up call.

Also, given the current climate of social media being full of people mostly rightly aggreived that they bust their ass for some bullshit rich corporation, screwing over minor leaguers as hard as humanly possible in full view of the facts is a really bold play.

EDIT

While I'm at it, this is a ludicrously bad look

Keep in mind that the Tom Ricketts famously said that the organization suffered BIBLICAL losses of money. Yeah. Sure. Ok.

Meanwhile, if you've never been to Wrigley Field, it's turned into a neighborhood ballpark into what looks like a giant shopping mall with a huge ass triangle shaped building, the Ricketts own almost all of the surrounding area, and they're in on buying Chelsea, but sure, tell me more about how you can't afford to sign anyone because you suffered biblical losses of money.

Fuck them.

• Like 3

Obviously contingent on an actual agreement but MLB and MLBPA have agreed to ban the shift in 2023, along with implementing a pitch clock.

41 minutes ago, Tabe said:

I agree the pitch clock likely won't be enforced.

I love the shift being banned.  

A good friend of mine that's an official scorekeeper and timekeeper for MLB in the Chicagoland area already said the pitch clock won't be enforced. Their internal chat laughed it off.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I'm fine with a pitch clock as long as we also ban batters stepping out of the box to readjust their gloves every fucking pitch

I agree.  No checking for signs, no playing with your helmet/gloves/bat/cellphone/shoes/belt/underwear/etc between pitches. 

I definitely think they'll be lax on the pitch clock UNLESS they make it obvious with displays everywhere and a 3rd party, maybe a league official, doing the enforcing.  Of course, since this is MLB, they'll probably make the pitch clock 60 seconds.

• Like 2

It drives me nuts, man. There are absolutely some pitchers that are way too slow but there are just as many times I watch a game and a pitcher is literally standing there waiting while some goof adjusts his gloves, taps his bat on the lucky spot, taps his lucky shoulder, touches his lucky necklace, adjusts his helmet, takes 3 practice swings, then steps back in.

Clocks for everyone or not at all is the way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tabe said:

I agree.  No checking for signs, no playing with your helmet/gloves/bat/cellphone/shoes/belt/underwear/etc between pitches. 

I definitely think they'll be lax on the pitch clock UNLESS they make it obvious with displays everywhere and a 3rd party, maybe a league official, doing the enforcing.  Of course, since this is MLB, they'll probably make the pitch clock 60 seconds.

Well, the other thing that no one probably thought about is timeouts.  Because even enforcement of a clock can be destroyed by the unlimited timeouts that umps give the catchers.  Hell, even one time out per AB is probably too much and one per half inning is too few. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

It drives me nuts, man. There are absolutely some pitchers that are way too slow but there are just as many times I watch a game and a pitcher is literally standing there waiting while some goof adjusts his gloves, taps his bat on the lucky spot, taps his lucky shoulder, touches his lucky necklace, adjusts his helmet, takes 3 practice swings, then steps back in.

Clocks for everyone or not at all is the way.

My understanding of the way pitch clocks worked in the minors is that, if a pitch is not thrown, fault is assigned to someone as the reason and then that person gets punished.  Pitchers could, of course, just throw the pitch whether the guy is in the box or not.

For me, it feels like modern baseball often devolves into a battle of wills to NOT let the next pitch happen.  The pitchers seem terrified to throw it and the batter sure seems scared that it'll come.  

• Like 1

So first off, the mainstream articles have sort of confused things with this.  Here's the breakdown of the PROPOSED offer from over the weekend per MLB Trade Rumors.

So the players potentially agreed to -

"give the league the authority to make on-field changes within a 45-day window of initial proposal, in regards to three specific rules — a pitch clock, restrictions on the use of defensive shifts, and the size of the bases. "

and

"Any of the proposed rule changes would be explored via a committee that would have player representation.  The three proposed rule changes would begin in the 2023 season."

So restrictions on the shift is not the same as banning.  And since no one is at the stage for the league and players to discuss the details of either scenario, let's not get the cart before the horse on ANY of this.  Plus, you know, there still is not an agreement yet so...with no games, none of those issues are a priority.

All three of those things are mostly cosmetic (I guess the argument for larger bases is for safety and to up the chances of stolen bases which...shrug).  I dunno.  Had they just let the umps enforce the pace of play rules already in place - and had the league actually backed the umps when they tried - there were be no need for a clock.  I'm all in favor of speeding up the game.  Batters stepping out all the time and doing their song and dance while pitchers take their sweet time throwing the ball is infuriating.  But if they didn't already enforce quicker play (when it was already in the books) all we will end up with are clocks in stadiums no one minds.

And shifts are the end results of hitters being dumb.  I don't have a solitary issue with shifts if the hitters are not smart enough to adjust.  To me it would be the same as if the NFL banned double-team coverage of receivers because QBs are too dumb to throw to a check-down receiver.  I have no issue with people hating on the shift.  Your taste is your taste.  To me it would be a simple enough thing that would die on its own if hitters were smarter and went to the opposite field more.  Alas.

I've not seen any real results from increasing the size of the bases in the minors so I am totally indifferent to that.

• Like 3

Sides are meeting in person today.

Reportedly, MLB says that if a deal can be reached today, then all 162 games can be played (surprise, surprise).

HOWEVER, if no deal is reached today, MLB will reportedly "cancel" a 2nd week of games

On 3/6/2022 at 7:01 PM, Raziel said:

The Talkin' Baseball crew said it best.  For whatever reason, the League it handling this like its 94 and Social Media doesn't exist.   

To go along with this

To plenty, the coverage has been a welcome pendulum swing from what baseball’s economic coverage once looked like and an acknowledgment that baseball players, like any other workforce, ought to exercise their labor rights.

“It’s the most accurate coverage, factually, of any labor negotiation I’ve been involved in,” said Scott Boras, baseball’s most powerful player agent.

Among those who think the coverage has swung too far: MLB officials. MLB declined to comment on the record about the coverage, saying in a statement that its leadership is focused on getting an agreement done. But reporters say they’ve heard the criticism.

“They find it maddening that they don’t think the union is getting the same scrutiny through the process that they are,” said one reporter who was in Jupiter, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to protect his working relationship with MLB. “And we’ve heard that from them.”

--------------------------

In interviews, baseball writers offered several explanations for the shift. They cited the larger industry’s retreat from “both-sides” journalism, in which two sides of an argument are reflexively given equal weight. They also pointed to a younger class of reporters who have brought new and important voices to coverage, though some wondered if some of the more pointed coverage has gone beyond insightful and veered into advocacy for the union.

But the biggest factor, many said, was the information available to reporters. In previous eras, reporters knew Bonilla’s salary; now they know the net worths of the owners, the valuations of their teams and the prices when they are sold. The Mets recently sold for $2.4 billion, the Dodgers for $2 billion before that. The smaller-market Marlins still went for more than $1 billion in 2017.

That kind of reporting has been driven by the proliferation of digital media, including niche publications covering the business of sports with increasing fervor and depth. Baseball Prospectus, for instance, has written about how higher ticket prices aren’t affected by player salaries and how the average player salaries have fallen in recent years even as revenue has risen.

Note - a large chunk of the article then devolves into old fart baseball writers yelling at young writers. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Sides are meeting in person today.

Reportedly, MLB says that if a deal can be reached today, then all 162 games can be played (surprise, surprise).

HOWEVER, if no deal is reached today, MLB will reportedly "cancel" a 2nd week of games

So, another arbitrary deadline that won't be met with more cancelled games.  

I think we have 2 more weeks of cancelled games before the owners start giving back RSN money.

“They find it maddening that they don’t think the union is getting the same scrutiny through the process that they are,” said one reporter who was in Jupiter, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to protect his working relationship with MLB. “And we’ve heard that from them.”

Presumably that's Jupiter the city in Florida, however much the opinion expressed is so out there as to suggest Jupiter the planet is a possibility

Edited by BobbyWhioux
  • Like 4