DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON (Maybe soon???)

RIPPA

More on Jeter's split with the Marlins (spoilers due to length - taken from Trade Rumors)

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/02/marlins-rumors-derek-jeter-nick-castellanos-payroll-miguel-rojas.html

Spoiler

Derek Jeter’s abrupt departure from the Marlins organization earlier this morning stunned the baseball world. Jeter’s citing of a “vision for the future of the franchise is different than the one I signed up to lead” prompted plenty of speculation about the team’s spending moving forward, and Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that a change in spending plans indeed served as a tipping point for Jeter (Twitter link). Sherman suggests that Jeter believed there to be as much as $15MM to spend on the 2022 roster after the lockout, but that outlook “evaporated” over the course of the lockout.

MLB Network’s Jon Heyman reports that the Marlins were in serious talks with Miami native Nick Castellanos about a homecoming prior to the lockout. The Athletic’s C. Trent Rosecrans tweets that he’d consistently heard the Marlins were the favorites to sign Castellanos. Those two reports, paired with Sherman’s report, seem to suggest that such a signing is no longer feasible for the Fish. (As an aside, many expect Castellanos to command more than $15MM annually, although the Marlins could have theoretically backloaded a deal to accommodate ownership’s 2022 budget.)

SportsGrid’s Craig Mish tweets that the Marlins are still expected to add to the roster after the lockout, but it seems that perhaps principal owner Bruce Sherman’s vision for the scope of those (and other) forthcoming additions has changed. Discord between Jeter and Sherman has been brewing for a good while longer than just these past couple of months, however, per ESPN’s Buster Olney (Twitter link), who tweets that there was a “growing divide” dating back to last spring. The mounting differences between Jeter and Sherman, Olney adds, were a key reason that Jeter’s ownership stake in the team did not grow as it had been expected to.

Whether there’d been friction between Jeter and Sherman prior to early 2021 isn’t clear, but if that’s where the pair’s visions began to diverge, there’d be a pretty logical explanation for it. Shortly after Sherman and Jeter’s group purchased the Marlins, the Miami Herald obtained a copy of the team’s pitch to prospective investors, including future spending plans. Some payroll reductions were always in the offing, as evidenced by the quick dismantling of an All-Star outfield (Christian Yelich, Giancarlo Stanton, Marcell Ozuna), but those moves were made with the intention of ramping payroll back up down the line.

The Marlins’ Opening Day payroll in 2018 sat just under $100MM, but that number dipped to $72MM in 2019 and was again at that $73MM level in 2020 (prior to prorating salaries) before dropping to $56MM in 2021. The revenue losses from that pandemic-impacted 2020 season changed the direction of many organizations (e.g. Reds, Guardians, D-backs), and it’s certainly feasible that Sherman’s own willingness to spend was impacted as well.

To be clear, the Marlins have spent this offseason. Avisail Garcia’s four-year, $53.5MM deal is one of the largest free-agent contracts they’ve ever handed out, and the team doled out extensions to both Sandy Alcantara and Miguel Rojas while also acquiring Joey Wendle and Jacob Stallings. That said, Miami’s projected payroll for the forthcoming season is still under $70MM, and if ownership sought to curtail available resources for the 2022, as Sherman reports, it’s possible future seasons would also be impacted.

As ESPN’s Marly Rivera reminds (Twitter link), Jeter spoke favorably about his former organization’s front office, noting that the Yankees are always on the hunt to improve. “I’ve said it before, the Steinbrenner family, from the Boss to Hal, they’re always trying to get better, get better, get better, and they don’t hesitate to make big moves,” Jeter said at the time. Yankee fans may disagree in light of the team’s quiet pre-lockout period, but Jeter’s general tenor this past July does not sound like one that would align with a sudden tightening of the purse strings.

Across social media, players have taken Jeter’s departure as what they perceive as another example of the issues they’re fighting for in labor talks with the league. Astros catcher Jason Castro, one of the eight members on the MLBPA’s executive subcommittee, tweeted a “Re2pect” message to Jeter and used the hashtag “#CompetitiveIntegrity” as well. As ESPN’s Alden Goznalez writes, players perceive a disconnect between ownership pushing for the status quo in revenue sharing, the luxury tax, etc. in the name of competitive balance and Jeter departing largely because of questions regarding the rest of ownership’s “financial commitment to the roster.”

Marlins shortstop Miguel Rojas, the team’s clubhouse leader and unofficial captain, spoke to Jomboy’s Chris Rose today in the wake of Jeter’s sudden departure (Instagram video). “Derek Jeter was looking to win — looking to win this year,” said Rojas. “We all know that in order to be able to win, you need to put a better product on the field, which is what they were doing before the lockout started.”

Rojas praised the team for extending Alcantara but noted that last season, there were virtually no players other than himself on multi-year deals. (Reliever Anthony Bass was also on a small two-year contract.) Extending Rojas and signing Garcia were undoubtedly well-received among the players on the roster, but Rojas expressed questions, doubt and general sadness in speaking with Rose.

“I don’t know about the money situation,” Rojas said after being asked about the Post report that changes in payroll expectation led to Jeter’s departure. “I don’t know about promises of a better payroll or anything like that. I just heard something that they said — that this is the time to take the next step. It’s our time to take the next step in this ’build’ that they promised. … It was time to make the move to get not just a better team, but better quality up and down the organization. I don’t know what happened.

“…At the end of the day, I have a lot of questions. There’s some things that have to be communicated after this thing’s over, because we as the players, we want to be respected and informed what’s going on. I know not everything is going to be shared with the players, but at the end of the day, you at least want to know where you’re going.”

One big advantage that the PA has is that they can talk about a fair deal and they don't necessarily have to tell people what that fair deal is

But one disadvantage is that the numbers are considered big by outside observers, so when you get rumored figures in deals that weren't good enough, some people think that fair deals were being turned down

Last night probably moved the dial enough that it'll be a bit harder for the MLBPA to get out unscathed if things fall apart today. Seemingly spending time last night on "12 vs 14 in the playoffs" sorta feels like a sidebar for things that shouldn't have stopped a deal in the first place.

The players have backed off of some things and this sorta feels like it's turning into a status quo deal with some numbers being moved around because the ownership ghosted them for 2 months and really cranked up negotiations late.

So it's sort of a matter of either making a deal or figuring out which hill you wanna bleed all over.

37 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

so what's opening day if the plan is to only cancel enough games to not lose TV money, April 22nd?

well the Rays play at Wrigley April 18-20, so yeah. 4/22 tracks. 

During Rob Manfred's horseshit press conference that is currently going on - Manfred said they will cancel the first two series of the season

• Like 1

As a reminder - Samson was Team President of the Marlins (I can sense the anger from @Dolfan in NYCfrom here) and has been carrying the water for the owners since day 1

Besides the claim about the Lerners this morning - he also insists, with no proof beyond "You have to trust me" that their are 8 teams who always lose money and will never vote for any new CBA

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

As a reminder - Samson was Team President of the Marlins (I can sense the anger from @Dolfan in NYCfrom here) and has been carrying the water for the owners since day 1

Besides the claim about the Lerners this morning - he also insists, with no proof beyond "You have to trust me" that their are 8 teams who always lose money and will never vote for any new CBA

Only 8?

I would've guessed close to 15 myself.

52 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Only 8?

I would've guessed close to 15 myself.

I thought it was more like 29 or 30.  In fact, I believe every team has lost money every single season since the start of major league baseball.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tabe said:

I thought it was more like 29 or 30.  In fact, I believe every team has lost money every single season since the start of major league baseball.

and yet so very few of them are ever looking to sell these sports franchises that they're constantly losing money on.

it's remarkable!

• Like 2

I will never understand how someone who has enough money to buy/own a major sports franchise and has the choice to either

1) make a tiny little bit more money to add to the literal grand canyon full that is currently sitting in your mansion but in the process be hated by everyone

2) make a tiny little bit less money, still have a googillion dollars, AND be loved and admired by everyone in your city including all the coolest sports stars and have people chant your name

and they always cling to choice number 1 like it's their childhood blankee.

psychologically faulty people.

Edited by piranesi
  • Like 8

12 hours ago, piranesi said:

I will never understand how someone who has enough money to buy/own a major sports franchise and has the choice to either

1) make a tiny little bit more money to add to the literal grand canyon full that is currently sitting in your mansion but in the process be hated by everyone

2) make a tiny little bit less money, still have a googillion dollars, AND be loved and admired by everyone in your city including all the coolest sports stars and have people chant your name

and they always cling to choice number 1 like it's their childhood blankee.

psychologically faulty people.

Yeah, but if the owners give in to one tiny demand, it's a slippery slope to a disaster of biblical proportions!

Spoiler

Mayor : What do you mean, "biblical"?

Dr. Raymond Stantz : What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor, real wrath of God type stuff.

Dr. Peter Venkman : Exactly.

Dr. Raymond Stantz : Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!

Dr. Egon Spengler : Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...

Winston Zeddemore : The dead rising from the grave!

Dr. Peter Venkman : Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... MASS HYSTERIA!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2