DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON (Maybe soon???)

RIPPA

after seeing that the players are on the verge of ending negotiations, I present the updated MLB/MLBPA discussions:

An updated status of the MLB/MLBPA negotiations

Owners (Pre-lockout): "Take This shit offer."
Players: "Um, No."
Owners: Ok you're locked out. we hope this puts some urgency on your decision to take our shit offer.
Players: We want what we say we want, and we'll negotiate to try to get it.
Owners: We'll get back to you
(2 Months Pass)
Owners: Now that you have been locked out, take the shit offer.
Players: No, but we're willing to bend somewhat.
Owners: Well, in the spirit of negotiating, we'll modify our offer a bit
Players: Well that's.. wait, that's the same shit offer.
Owners: No it's not. Not... completely
Players: You drew a bowtie on the shit offer!
Owners: Look, are you going to take the shit offer or not?
Players: No.. but..
Owners: Well, this isn't going to get us (meaning our side) anywhere, bring in the mediators.
Players: No, we said we want to negotiate with you directly, besides, that would just allow you to run out the clock further to try to pressure us,
Owners: Ok (shrugs)
Players: So for our next offer...
Owners: Take the shit offer.
Players: Wait, what about our...?
Owners: Take the Shit offer.
Players: Argh..
Owners: Ok, we will modify our offer.
Players: Finally, some movement. Wait, this is still the shit offer!
Owners: It is not! it's 98.5% similar to our past offer, but..
Players: That just means it's 98.5% shit!
Owners: Take it.
Players: No.
Owners: Then we're going to start cancelling games until you take the shit offer.
Players: Look, we're here to negotiate, but it takes two to negotiate, and you ain't doing that.
Owners: See fans? This is all the players fault!

• Haha 2

Just as a reminder - after they don't come to an agreement on Monday, you will have to add the season schedule to the list of things they will need to agree too.

I have been half joking that they are going to miss the entire season but honestly, it will be amazing if they play 100 games this year

OH! I should also note that MLB is now demanding that the players give them the ability to implement rules changes unilaterally during the current season (instead of needing approval from the MLBPA and not waiting to the next season)

Players strongly oppose that too.

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

OH! I should also note that MLB is now demanding that the players give them the ability to implement rules changes unilaterally during the current season (instead of needing approval from the MLBPA and not waiting to the next season)

LOL. That is such a non-starter. No chance the players ever sign off on that. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

"hell naw we aren't doing that NHL shit here"

11:15 AM: At least one player has decided to chime on the conversation. Zack Britton responded (via Twitter) to Heyman’s earlier tweet with a very simple and straightforward, “This is not accurate.”

10:28 AM: The prospects of owners and players being close to an agreement has been characterized as “beyond absurd” by someone close to the players, per Ben Nicholson-Smith of Sportsnet.ca (via Twitter). Nicholson-Smith adds that the players will need to see more than just the incremental changes to the Collective Bargaining Tax that owners were offering yesterday.

So I am looking at the unions playoff ideas with "ghost wins" and shit and I feel like WCW title tournaments when Russo took over made more sense.  For of all I am guessing this is already setting up for a partial season and hopefully a one and done.  Only reason I can figure that more teams are needed 

21 minutes ago, hammerva said:

So I am looking at the unions playoff ideas with "ghost wins" and shit and I feel like WCW title tournaments when Russo took over made more sense.  For of all I am guessing this is already setting up for a partial season and hopefully a one and done.  Only reason I can figure that more teams are needed 

I literally was just coming to post about the "ghost win" proposal. I mean I understand the idea but... yeah it is needlessly complex

For context

(Rosenthal needs to learn how to thread his tweets)

Derek Jeter is stepping down as Marlins CEO and leaving the organization effective immediately

@Dolfan in NYC

In his statement Jeter said "That said, the vision for the future of the franchise is different than the one I signed up to lead."

So that really comes across as they want to tank until the stadium situation is figured out

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

In case you had any thoughts that a deal was gonna be reached today - MLB showed up today and basically told the MLBPA that if they don't accept a deal that "MLB is willing to miss a month of games"

Spoiler

MLB’s self-imposed deadline to reach an agreement with the Players Association is today, and Evan Drellich, Ken Rosenthal and Fabian Ardaya of The Athletic report that the league took a “more threatening” tone to the MLBPA today and voiced a willingness to miss a month’s worth of regular-season games (Twitter link). The first meeting between the two parties today lasted only 40 to 45 minutes, tweets Michael Silverman of the Boston Globe, though the expectation is that negotiations will continue throughout the day.

The players have, unsurprisingly, taken that as a clear threat, tweets ESPN’s Jeff Passan, although there’s been no indication to this point that the union’s solidarity has begun to wane. The players have generally taken an exceptionally united front, even in the wake of what was seen as a discouraging counterproposal from the league late last week. There’s been little expectation that the league and union would be able to avoid the “disastrous outcome” of canceled regular season games (as described by commissioner Rob Manfred himself), so the only notable component of that threat is the number of games the league is willing to miss.

The Associated Press estimates that each day of canceled games would result in a collective $20.5MM of missed salary for the players, although it’s worth emphasizing that the union has envisioned just such a hardline tactic from the league for years and has been stockpiling funds to weather this type of storm. MLBTR’s Tim Dierkes reported over the weekend that the league’s strike find is “exponentially” larger than it has ever been (Twitter thread). The MLBPA has been holding back full licensing revenues for years to safeguard against this type of scenario, and the players also spun their licensing department into a separate company, MLB Players Inc.

In doing so, the players afforded themselves the ability to take equity in other companies. Jared Diamond of the Wall Street Journal profiled MLB Players Inc.’s deal with Fanatics over the summer, and they’ve also taken an equity stake in OneTeam Partners. The result is a considerable increase in the union’s funds, and while an exact dollar amount isn’t known, there are a couple pieces of information that can provide relevant benchmarks. An Associated Press report earlier this month indicates the union had as much as $178.5MM at year-end in 2020. An LM-2 Form filed to the U.S. Department of Labor suggests the number was $171.4MM for the 2020 calendar year. Either figure is dated by now, and the size of the fund only figures to have grown.

Notably, players can apply for monthly stipends in the absence of collecting their salaries. The union had provided a pair of $5,000 stipends for February and March, and Drellich and Rosenthal report that the figure will jump to $15,000 beginning on April 1 (when the regular season would be underway). Not all players will apply for that stipend, of course, but in theory even if they did, the 1200 stipends would cost the union a total of $18MM. Add in a pair of (again, theoretical) $6MM payouts for February and March, and it still only taps into $30MM of the union’s funds. Realistically, even based on the 2020 numbers and not accounting for 2021 licensing revenues, the union likely has more than enough capital to make it through the whole season paying out those stipends.

While it’s true that the sport’s biggest stars won’t bat an eye at a $15,000 monthly stipend and may not even file to collect it, that figure is crucial for the union members on the lower rung of the pay scale. Consider players who were just added to 40-man rosters over the winter and those who’ve not yet solidified themselves as big league regulars. Those players could well be looking at spending much of the season in Triple-A, and the $15,000 stipend would largely account for that minor league salary — in some cases, with Double-A and Class-A players who’ve been added to the 40-man roster over the winter, the stipends may even exceed their would-be minor league salaries.

The prospect of lost salaries doesn’t sit well with the union, but the game’s star players who are on lengthy multi-year contracts can surely weather the loss, and those who are most vulnerable are generally taken care of via the monthly stipends. There’s an undeniable middle class who’d be getting squeezed — pre-arbitration players who are solidified on the MLB roster — but those players are among the ones the union is fighting for most ardently, insisting upon increases in minimum salary and pushing for earlier paths into arbitration. Broadly speaking, there’s good reason to believe that even amid the loss of salaries, MLBPA solidarity is likely to remain strong.

Spoilers just because of length

• Like 2

Players clearly don't anticipate a deal as they are starting to bits on social media

Bryce Harper asking if the Yomiuri Giants want to sign him and Joey Gallo creating a linkedin page

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Derek Jeter is stepping down as Marlins CEO and leaving the organization effective immediately

@Dolfan in NYC

In his statement Jeter said "That said, the vision for the future of the franchise is different than the one I signed up to lead."

So that really comes across as they want to tank until the stadium situation is figured out

Wait, Jeter wasn't already tanking? They're already 10 games worse than when he took over.