DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON (Maybe soon???)

RIPPA

Owners (Pre-lockout): "Take This shit offer."

Players: "Um, No."

Owners: Ok you're locked out. we hope this puts some urgency on your decision to take our shit offer.

Players: We want what we say we want, and we'll negotiate to try to get it.

Owners: We'll get back to you

(2 Months Pass)

Owners: Now that you have been locked out, take the shit offer.

Players: No, but we're willing to bend somewhat.

Owners: Well, in the spirit of negotiating, we'll modify our offer a bit

Players: Well that's.. wait, that's the same shit offer.

Owners: No it's not. Not... completely

Players: You drew a bowtie on the shit offer!

Owners: Look, are you going to take the shit offer or not?

Players: No.. but..

Owners: Well, this isn't going to get us (meaning our side) anywhere, bring in the mediators.

• Like 1

As a follow up

MLB won't counter MLBPA's latest offer and MLBPA is declining the request for the mediator

Hope none of you planned on baseball before July 1st

28 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

As a follow up

MLB won't counter MLBPA's latest offer and MLBPA is declining the request for the mediator

Hope none of you planned on baseball before July 1st

Here's what I wrote with regard to the lockout on another forum (prior to MLBPA declining the mediators):

There's at least a hint of urgency as MLB has asked federal mediators to assist with negotiations. That'll likely have little impact, however.

Of the big four sports in the US, I do think baseball is the one that cares the least about on-field product quality as it relates to the fan experience. The NFL has changes a bunch of rules to increase offense, protect quarterbacks, and reduce kill shot hits. That all (generally) increases the fan experience. The NHL implemented a bunch of changes to increase offense and introduced 3-on-3 OT and shootouts. All have been well-received. The NBA got rid of extreme defenses and opened up the game.

MLB? They implemented automatic intentional walks. And then...nothing. We get ridiculous shifts that significantly limit what hitters can do. We get pitchers who are afraid to throw the next pitch and hitters who are afraid to see it, resulting in 10-minute ABs. The pace of play is brutal. A gigantic portion of the game is taken up by 3 outcome (strikeout, walk, homer) ABs. Every team plays exactly the same with an overreliance on home runs. It all ends up in a product that is less visually interesting than it used to be.

It took a major shutdown by the NHL for it to recognize that significant change was needed. Maybe that's what MLB needs.

All of that is to say I don't care if the season shuts down. I love baseball but I won't miss it if it's not there this summer.

I stand by that.  I *love* baseball.  It's the sport I played as a kid prior to high school.  I had season tickets to Spokane's minor league team for two decades.  I coached high school baseball and helped send a kid to the major leagues.  I've read hundreds of books on baseball and spent countless hours studying the history of the game.  I collected baseball cards for years.  I memorized countless stats for countless players.  I *LOVE* baseball.

And I don't care if there is a lockout.  I think, in general, the players are right in this situation (as they usually are) but I don't care.  The product sucks and MLB doesn't care.  And, if they don't, why should I?  They destroyed the minor league product I enjoyed, leading me to drop my season tickets (while darn near crying as I did it) and I can't stand the MLB product.  So screw 'em.

• Like 3

As if he didn't show it enough, Tom Ricketts and the Cubs org are big enough assholes to create a Cubs streaming service to get around MLB's blackout rules.

Oh, you think that's a good thing?

They want to charge $18 a month. I'm about one of the biggest diehard Cubs fans around, but I would have to be insane to pay $18 a month for a team that is only aiming to be middling in the NL Central at best. If the Yankees or Dodgers did this and charged something more reasonable then I would understand. At least those teams are competing and worth watching nearly every year. But $18 a month for this freaking Cubs team? They're out of their minds.

• Like 1

The expectation is that Rob Manfred will announce at a press conference Thursday (which will be the end of the quarterly owners meetings) that the start of Spring Training will be delayed

Meanwhile - Andrew Miller, who is one of the 8 players on the Exec Board answered some questions for ESPN

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33215992/shouting-cursing-mlbpa-rep-andrew-miller-where-mlb-labor-negotiations-stand

The answer that actually was the most interesting to me was this

Q: But without a salary floor, teams may not spend because they're able to win without doing so. As you just said, different teams have been successful, both with high and lower payrolls, like the Rays.

A: The Rays have won but we're not necessarily happy with the way that they have always operated. They are large recipients of revenue sharing and the way they use that money, is that best for baseball? This is what we debate. Both sides have their experts and we all debate.

This could technically go in the Stupid thread also since the response was immediately stupid

So MLB drug testing has ended due to the agreement expiring and obviously with the lockout, a new one not being agreed upon yet

Immediately you had cranky former players yelling including Robin Ventura who said basically that he thinks anyone who bulks up this offseason clearly is on roids

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SirFozzie said:

Looks like Manfred announced that Universal DH is a go, starting this season as well as getting rid of the Qualifying Offer free agent draft pick compensation. He still thinks they can get things in without delaying spring training.

I wouldn't go that far...

However, as MLBTR’s Tim Dierkes reports (Twitter links), the use of “agreed” is a bit misleading. The two parties have not reached a formal agreement on either issue. Rather, Manfred’s use of “agreed” merely indicates that both the universal DH and elimination of draft-pick compensation were included as components of a broader proposal put forth by MLB some time ago.

I mean in the same press conference Manfred rolled out his poverty line again including flat out claiming that owning a baseball team was a bad investment

In one of the more eyebrow-raising moments of the press conference, Manfred was asked whether purchasing an MLB franchise was a “good investment.” He bizarrely implied the contrary, stating that between the purchase price of the team and the money invested into the club on a year-over-year basis, the “return on those investments is below what you’d expect to get in the stock market,” adding that there was greater risk in owning a team. Comments of that nature are sure to further galvanize a union that has repeatedly suggested the league isn’t being genuine or negotiating in good faith.

As Passan put in his story

Over the past 20 years, according to Statista, MLB franchise values have grown at nearly twice the rate of the S&P 500.

LOL.  It is incredible to me how owners STILL try to claim that they're always going broke and losing money running their franchises - all while there's a long line of other billionaires waiting to buy their team at a gigantic profit.  It's hilarious and stupid and insulting to the intelligence of everyone.

• Like 1

BTW - yesterday Manfred was waving his dick around about how great he is at negotiations

"In the history of baseball, the only person who has made a labor agreement without a dispute -- and I did four of them -- was me," Manfred said. "Somehow during those four negotiations, players and union representatives figured out a way to trust me enough to make a deal. I'm the same person today as I was in 1998."

They're doomed

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ok, if the regular season doesn't get started on time, i'm going to be upset.

I've never been to a MLB game. I've been a Devil Rays fan since '98 and want to see them at Wrigley Field (i grew up in Cubs Country). They were scheduled to play there in 2020. guess what happened. Now they're scheduled to play at Wrigley 4/18-4/20. i'm gonna have to wait another two years (or more, depending on how they redo the schedule), aren't i?

yeah, it was just the same shit with another smiley face

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/02/mlbpa-unimpressed-by-mlbs-latest-offer-in-cba-negotiations.html

The league had previously agreed to the MLBPA proposal for a bonus pool, funded by central revenues, to reward pre-arbitration players.  Despite agreeing on the proposal, the league and the union have remained far apart on the size. The players initially proposed a total of $105MM, with the league countering by offering $10MM. The players later dropped their ask to $100MM, with the owners today increasing their offer to $15MM.

There was also slight modification to MLB’s proposal regarding the Competitive Balance Tax thresholds. Previously, the plan was to have a limit of $214MM for 2022 through 2024, increasing to $216MM in 2025 and $220MM in 2026. Today’s proposal retained that $214MM number for 2022 and 2023, bumped to $216MM in 2024, and then $218MM and $222MM in the final two years of the deal. The players, on the other hand, have been looking for the threshold to be in the $245MM-260MM range for the five years covered by the deal.

The proposed tax rates for surpassing these thresholds hasn’t changed since MLB’s last proposal, although the draft pick compensation was slightly modified. Under the previous proposal, teams surpassing the first threshold (spending less than $234MM on a proposed $214MM tax threshold) would have to surrender a third round draft pick, though that was dropped to no draft penalty for today’s offer. However, teams would still be paying the same 50 percent tax on every dollar spent within that $214-$234MM area.

Edited by SirFozzie