DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON (Maybe soon???)

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

Didn't players in the 70s take "greenies" as PEDs? Same thing. 

They've been injecting stuff since the 1800s. The only reason this is an issue with 90s players and not Ruth, Williams, Cobb or Mantle is that they hadn't figured things out yet. It's certainly not because of moral superiority. Once it got figured out, players started using. Including multiple guys in the Hall. 

Let em all in. 

• Like 1

Carlos Correa has hired Scott Boras as his agent.

He declined to give a reason why he switched agents now in the middle of the lockout (He was previously represented by William Morris Endeavor who, at least, MLBPA isn't the biggest fan of at the moment)

MLB has officially decided (well their executive council) that the Rays are not allowed to split time between Tampa and Montreal.

Rays Owner Stuart Sternberg is speaking at a press conference right now but it is difficult to image the Rays have a future in Tampa anymore.

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

MLB has officially decided (well their executive council) that the Rays are not allowed to split time between Tampa and Montreal.

Rays Owner Stuart Sternberg is speaking at a press conference right now but it is difficult to image the Rays have a future in Tampa anymore.

was reading online comments about this (always a mistake, i know) that were all like "good, now they will stay in the Tampa area" and i'm just over here like "yeah, i think that's even LESS likely now......"

I am sure there are other ones too but Trade Rumors does a great job summing up each days negotiation results

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/01/mlb-lockout-rumors-bonus-pool-pre-arbitration-minimum-salary.html

Here is Baseball Reference basically saying "Don't Put That Evil On Us!"

More interestingly, Major League Baseball agreed to the MLBPA’s proposal for a bonus pool, funded by central revenues, to reward pre-arbitration players (Twitter link via Jared Diamond of the Wall Street Journal). Pre-arb players would be in line for bonuses based both on Awards voting and on reaching certain Wins Above Replacement markers, Janes notes.

That figures to present its own levels of complication, as there are multiple versions of Wins Above Replacement. Beyond needing to agree on which form of WAR to set as the standard, the concept isn’t likely to sit well with the proprietors of those metrics. Baseball-Reference’s Sean Forman has already taken to Twitter to explain how uncomfortable he is with the notion of players being assigned millions of dollars based on a metric that is constantly undergoing slight tweaks to keep up with changes in the game (his Twitter thread on the matter is well worth a full read). Additionally, as Sports Illustrated’s Emma Baccellieri points out (Twitter link), there are some obvious potential conflicts of interest in tying pre-arb bonuses to awards voting that is conducted by the media members who cover those players.

Here is Forman's Twitter thread if folks wanted to check it out

https://twitter.com/sean_forman/status/1486077218187104265

Just an FYI - the Veteran Committee vote this winter is "Today's Baseball" - so the expectation is that Bonds, Clemens (and possibly even Schilling) will immediately be up for election again

8 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

I think Tony Kornheiser put it best on PTI today the Hall of Fame is missing the All-Time Hits Leader, All-Time Home Runs Leader & Pitcher with the most CY Youngs ever: What Hall of Fame is it really without them?! 

While I agree with the sentiment, it’s not like there are no exhibits that feature them. They just aren’t inducted. Mildly pedantic on my part, admittedly.

5 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I can't think of a single point someone could make in favor of putting Ortiz in over Bonds and Clemens that I wouldn't find laughable.  

He gives more popular speeches after tragedies? 

I'd start a "You deserve it" chant for Big Papi, but it's obvious I'd be shouted down.

As for the "CONFIRMED STEROID USER!!ONE!", try a different tactic. He tested positive for "something", but even MLB said "It's quite possible that it was for a substance that wasn't banned".

[b]According to reports, Ortiz failed a PED survey test in 2003. As Jay Jaffe of FanGraphs explored in much greater detail last month, however, MLB later suggested some players named in the survey test — which had been intended to remain anonymous — likely appeared on the list for substances that weren’t banned at the time. Ortiz was not named in the Mitchell Report, nor he was ever suspended for PED use during his career.[/b]

As opposed to say, Bonds or Clemens.