DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON (Maybe soon???)

RIPPA

On 11/30/2021 at 1:30 PM, SirFozzie said:

Today's meeting between MLB and the MLBPA barely started...

and it was over.

30 minutes. We're heading to Lockout Land.

For the record - today's meeting, the last before a work stoppage, lasted 7 minutes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Reading between the lines on many a tweet - it seems MLB negotiators basically walked in and said "are you going to take our deal?", were told "No" and got up and left.

But clearly this is the fault of greedy, greedy players

• Thanks 1

• RIPPA changed the title to MLB OFFSEASON (P&C Report.... Never...)
17 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Reading between the lines on many a tweet - it seems MLB negotiators basically walked in and said "are you going to take our deal?", were told "No" and got up and left.

To back this up - in Passan's original story (it has since been updated so the original anecdote was removved) he said MLB reps sat down and said "Are you stop asking to change the (service time, compensation, whatever you want to describe it as)?" The PA said "no" so MLB got up and left.

And also backed up by Manfred's canned statement about what big meanies the Players are for refusing to come off that stance

"We hope that the lockout will jumpstart the negotiations and get us to an agreement that will allow the season to start on time," Manfred said in his statement. "This defensive lockout was necessary because the Players Association's vision for Major League Baseball would threaten the ability of most teams to be competitive. It's simply not a viable option. From the beginning, the MLBPA has been unwilling to move from their starting position, compromise, or collaborate on solutions."

Of course Manfred also saying "Despite the league's best efforts to make a deal" was the real knee slapper.

The quick and dirty is the owners think they can bend the players over like they did in the last CBA

The Players realized how badly they got fucked last time and are determined to not let that happen again.

We all saw how childish both sides were during the Pandemic last year so if you are going by the "Oh they won't miss games - they are too smart for that" logic - I have a bridge to sell you.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I like how mlb.com only has the most biased version of what is going on with the lockout. I mean, I get it since its their own website but they aren't exactly playing fair.

I saw a couple of folks talking about this yesterday as MLB had apparently already told all the clubs that they are not supposed to talk to the media during the lockout and that the media owned by the league was going to have their hands tided

I am assuming MLB Network is just gonna show Trouble with the Curve and Ken Burns' Baseball on a loop

In probably the last notable transaction prior to the lockout

The Red Sox and Brewers announced agreement on a trade sending corner outfielder Hunter Renfroe to Milwaukee. In return, the Red Sox are reacquiring longtime center fielder Jackie Bradley Jr. and two prospects, infielders David Hamilton and Alex Binelas.

The other notable thing transaction wise is, per Jon Heyman, Justin Verlander did not finalize his deal with Houston before the lockout.

It doesn't necessarily mean the deal has fallen apart but at a minimum it now can't be finished until after the lockout ends

"This defensive lockout was necessary because the Players Association's vision for Major League Baseball would threaten the ability of most teams to be competitive."

Mind you, in this exact same letter, they touted how much money teams had spent on free agency in November.

So, it doesn't look like any of the rumored rule changes (other than the Universal DH) will be part of the CBA negotiations.

So for those of you who wanted robot umps, banning the extreme shifts, pitch clocks or whatever, will have to wait.

https://theathletic.com/2994843/2021/12/03/now-ya-see-them-now-ya-dont-mlb-takes-rule-changes-off-the-table-for-this-round-of-baseball-labor-fight/

22 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I wasn't aware most clubs were supposed to be competitive, this is news to me.

Neither were the owners, going by the last several seasons.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I plead ignorance on a lot of historic candidates, but reading up on Minoso, what took so goddamn long? This should have been open and shut.

I believe Bill Veeck signing him as an active player in 1976 and then 1980, good-intentioned as it was, kept restarting the clock on his HOF voting eligibility, to the point where very few voters had actually seen him play. If Minnie had stayed retired, he'd have become eligible much sooner.

Apropos of nothing, Minnie was a regular at my uncle's liquor store in Chicago across from Cabrini Green back in the day. You couldn't miss the Cadillac Eldorado with "MINNIE" vanity plates if you tried. ?

• Like 3

Yeah Minoso is a weird case of a guy who actually was added back to the HOF ballot.

He was first on in 1969 and immediately fell off (he got 1.8% of the vote)

He then went back on in 1986 and lasted the full 15 years then. He always had enough support to stay on the ballot but his highest total 21.1%

Minoso is the perfect guy for these veteran committee type votes - his issue (besides the backroom politics that get people in/keep people out ie: Tony LaRussa getting Harold Baines in) was the HOF constantly changing the historical committees and the large gap between voting for his block (Golden Days is every 5 years while Modern and Today's are every other year).

Honestly - it was the perfect storm this year for Minoso too. Between the push (conscious or unconscious) to right the wrong of Negro League exclusion AND it would be another 5 years before he would be considered again. Heck I think if Dick Allen was still alive, he would have gotten in this cycle too. (While I think Jim Kaat and Tony Olivia both probably deserved to be in anyway - them both being alive definitely tipped the scales in their favor as the BBWAA definitely has some WWE in them).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1