DVDVR Message Board

SDL is The Draft : Night 1 10/1/21

Niners Fan in CT

Glad for Isaiah but I hope the rest work out, especially with how green Briana looked. Was really surprised by how many picks were just dudes staying put though. Surprised they split up New Day again too.

As for the rest of the episode good lord that Seth at Edge's place segment was awful and just, kept, going. 

McAfee burying Edge for being stupid(and rightfully so) had me laughing out loud. "He's calling Daniel and David? Call the police!"

Was it a coincidence those names were chosen? My mind immediately went to Benoit's sons. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

i was excited to see Bianca vs. Sasha again but between throwing it together last minute, putting Becky on commentary and having Charlotte stand tall it was not WrestleMania that's for sure...    

Of course Charlotte has to be involved where nobody asked for her. 

• Like 1

New Day continuing to be broken up annoys me. Hit Row getting called up pisses me off. Their NXT run is getting cut short before they really got do shit or finish their feud with Legado. Disappointed Lee wasn't moved to Smackdown. Theory being the last pick makes me think they might actually push him on Raw this time. Can't say I'm interested in Theory being anything but the idiot son of the Way.

Guessing Seth, Becky, and Street Profits get moved to Raw.

Opening segment with Reigns and Lesnar was fun.

Sasha/Bianca was good. Dug Becky on commentary.

Edited by Eivion

28 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

Another year...another draft that doesn't make much sense. Why pick people you all ready have? I also don't understand the point of drafting champions.

So you don't lose your top draws (and belts) to the other brand?  Makes sense to me.

I'm more perplexed why someone would use one of their draft picks on Jeff Hardy?

• Like 1

Results:

SmackDown --

1. Universal Champion Roman Reigns
  2. Raw Women's Champion Charlotte Flair
  3. Drew McIntyre
  4. New Day's Kofi Kingston & Xavier Woods
  5. Happy Corbin & Madcap Moss
  6. Hit Row (NXT North American Champion Isaiah "Swerve" Scott, Top Dolla, Ashante "Thee" Adonis & B-Fab)
  7. Naomi
  8. Jeff Hardy

Raw --

1. WWE Champion Big E
  2. Bianca Belair
  3. Raw Tag Team Champions RK-Bro (Randy Orton & Riddle)
  4. Edge
  5. WWE Women's Tag Team Champions Rhea Ripley & Nikki A.S.H.
  6. Keith "Bearcat" Lee
  7. Rey & Dominik Mysterio
  8. Austin Theory

The Four Horsewomen are back on the same show. For how long though?

I don't think they'll switch the two WWE Women's Champions so that means Charlotte will have to lose the WWE RAW Women's Championship. Wouldn't be surprised if they vacate instead. Have to keep Charlotte strong. Smackdown Live is much better than RAW so I'd rather have Becky than Charlotte.

Sucks breaking up the New Day again after briefly getting back together on RAW when Big E cashed in his MITB contract on former champion Bobby Lashley as a Smackdown Live talent.

Edited by The Natural

5 hours ago, Peck said:

McAfee burying Edge for being stupid(and rightfully so) had me laughing out loud. "He's calling Daniel and David? Call the police!"

Was it a coincidence those names were chosen? My mind immediately went to Benoit's sons. 

Daniel and David are the real names of the Revival, Edge's real life neighbours/ friends

• Like 3

Pat McAfee celebrating the number one pick and Cole corpsing was hilarious.

McAfee is infectious with his over the top enthusiasm.

If we don’t get a Halloween themed “suplexorcist” t shirt then I will hate WWE forever.

SD continues to just be great.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, caley said:

Hit Row could be big big stars if they don't mess around with the formula. So they won't. 

I'm pretty sure Swerve will be turning on Top Dolla for the latter's monster push within a year.

Evidence suggests that this will turn out about as well as SaNiTy did. I hope I'm wrong, but...

Typical. No mention of The Demon and the rope break that took away his superpowers. What a chump. I'm not particularly a fan of The Demon, but needlessly throwing the gimmick away like that is a sign of where they're at these days. Constant hotshotting and desperate fly by booking, with no long term thinking behind it. Shitty, reckless booking that just damages everyone involved.

Hit Row actually has me interested though. Their promo on NXT this week was a scary look into the future, as they did the Main roster talk show host promo. Hype men for The Brand, hitting all the cues and buzzwords. Swerve Scott is great and I'm making the mistake of being excited for him. The rest of the group belong on Dark. I'm fascinated to see how it plays out for them.

Typical. Let's redo the Historic WrestleMania Main Event between Sasha Banks and Bianca. And lets frame it as the backdrop for the Charlotte and Becky show.

Edited by scatterheart
  • Like 2

Did I read that only half of each roster is eligible to be drafted?  That's an... interesting... change.  Did they specify who decides which roster members to protect and which to make eligible to be drafted?  Coin flip?  Guess a number?

I'm assuming we're not supposed to believe that an actual person (network exec?) selected half the roster to be protected and somehow decided to leave both Roman Reigns and Big E - the heavyweight champions - unprotected.  I mean, in kayfabe terms, that's sort of idiotic.  Smackdown could have protected Big E or Roman, then used their first pick to draft the other.  Then, they could have used their first pick to draft the other.  

A worked draft is really a sort of ridiculous proposition.  I know the idea is that we're going to tune in to see who is changing shows (lol), but the reality is that not that much changes and the draft picks tend to be nonsensical.  Who chooses not to protect your champions and biggest draws?  Or passes on pretty much everyone to draft 44-year-old Jeff Hardy? 

(To be fair to Hardy, he's still over and probably sells merch.  I'd take him long before a lot of the midcarders who have gotten drafted inexplicably high in past years.)

Didn't watch much of the show.  Tuned in, caught Carmella putting on her mask, and thought "Right, this is enough of tihs for tonight".  Is the mask possessed or something?  It does not at all look like something that's going to protect Carmella's face, but it did seem to give her superpowers since she beat down Liv in like 30 seconds after putting it on.  Or maybe they used up most of their match time struggling to get the mask on and had to go straight to the finish.  Whichever.  I guess they want Karrion Kross to not stand out so much in his gimp mask.  

14 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Did I read that only half of each roster is eligible to be drafted?  That's an... interesting... change.  Did they specify who decides which roster members to protect and which to make eligible to be drafted?  Coin flip?  Guess a number?

I'm assuming we're not supposed to believe that an actual person (network exec?) selected half the roster to be protected and somehow decided to leave both Roman Reigns and Big E - the heavyweight champions - unprotected.  I mean, in kayfabe terms, that's sort of idiotic.  Smackdown could have protected Big E or Roman, then used their first pick to draft the other.  Then, they could have used their first pick to draft the other.

It's not half the roster to be protected tho. It's been some form of this since the move to Fox. They designate half the people you're allowed to pick from on Night 1 and then the other half can be picked from on Night 2. In the past they've listed who can be drafter which night ahead of time, this year they didn't. They do this so USA doesn't get screwed. Because kayfabe wise if you let everyone be eligible off the bat then logically all the big stars are gone on night one.

Now that doesn't hold up as making sense when Austin Theory & Madcat Moss or whatever are getting picked before actual big names. Like sure maybe Becky & Seth are not eligible until Monday. But there's gotta be 30 or more people that someone would draft before Theory & Moss that are supposed to be eligible night one. But WWE gonna WWE. Internal logic went out the window decades ago.

20 minutes ago, Eoae said:

A worked draft is really a sort of ridiculous proposition.  I know the idea is that we're going to tune in to see who is changing shows (lol), but the reality is that not that much changes and the draft picks tend to be nonsensical.

Yes. This. There's no logical reason champions of a brand should be able to be drafted. They do this every year and it insults our intelligence, but we're supposed to believe "The Raw Women's Championship" is now a Smackdown title? Obviously she will drop it to a Raw person, or they'll just trade titles like New Day & Street Profits did last year. So dumb. Hate the lack of internal logic WWE has.