DVDVR Message Board

Rampage 10/1/21

NikoBaltimore

1 hour ago, Teflon Turtle said:

Thanks everybody who picked up on the OC question. I enjoy his work, but was a bit taken aback when he actually spoke in that "debate" against Jericho and and wondered what the story was ever since.

Now that I've thought about it, so far I've kinda explained it to myself similarly to what @Shartnado posted. In boxing (or I suppose any other combat sport that involves striking) you often hear of fighters who need to get hit once or twice to loosen up and really start going to work. The opposite side of that coin is "everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." I don't really think that's what OC is going for, but it's how things have come across to me on occasion. 

Then again, @LoneWolf&Subs has a good point too. OC could well be setting up traps for his opponents and lulling them in to a false sense of security.

What @(BP) posted seems more like what the OC character is truly about and is actually going for, if we remove the "combat sports" context that I can't help but filter almost everything through.

It seems like you have this figured out very well even without our help, but this is a very interesting topic!

Really fun. Hard to believe the level that Danielson is still wrestling at. It's like he hasn't lost a step in what, the past decade? If anything, he may have gotten better by 40. Not sure who else can claim that (maybe Cena?).

Been trying to find the video of the Orange Cassidy and Jack Evans pre-match face-off. One of the few times in recent memory wrestling has literally made me laugh out loud.  

I liked the triple threat and thought it was a smart way to add a little bit of uncertainty to if Jade would win or not. I agree with whoever else said that she really only needs to be OKAY in the ring and she'll be a huge star, and she's almost there. Her chairshots could use a little work, though, and I feel bad seeing Rosa take the fall in this one.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

If Black is done with the Nightmare Family, I wonder if that’ll get everyone to stop being angsty about Cody getting his win back.

loljk 

In all seriousness, cause I think this is a great talking point: I'm ok with Cody getting his win back - it just has to be down the line as part of an "I want my country back!"-style Babyface turn after a fun, successful heel run. 

I totally get the awkwardness of stuffing another hour onto a Wednesday night tv taping.  It just sounds exhausting.  

The solution to that is of course just buckling down and doing a second live show on Friday nights.  Ok, more full on production costs for a single hour of tv time.  A single hour preceded by 8pm to 10pm of what?  YouTube content?  I can see TNT noping out on that one.  

And you KNOW what that means!

The Greatest night in the history of our sport Presents: A second hour of RAMPAGE!!! Cuz at that point why the fuck not?  Isn’t that what wrestling companies do?  But doesn’t that also make this marathon viewing now?  Do you sacrifice the live crowd for the television audience?  

Strike while the iron is hot, yes.  But they haven’t beaten RAW or SD in weeks ratings totals.  (Yet?). Great strides obviously have been made.  NXT was slain like Nirvana slayed the hair bands.  But do you flood the market to pad your capital only to throw money at any side effects?  

The show quality has certainly benefited from a steady rotation of the roster.  That’ll get thinned out, not immediately, but eventually as more activity and increases in potential injuries.  As potheads often say: “Don’t fuck up the rotation.”  

Hey… that reminds me…

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of the Bucks at all, but Bryan is GOAT so I had to see him kick the shit outta the Flying Grayson. Good match.

Jade/Rosa/Nyla was ok considering no one in the match was particularly good or seasoned in the ring. Kudos to Nyla though as she is a trooper and always gives it everything. I have no idea why they were so interested in protecting Rosa that they couldn't use the Jaded after the chair shot for a solid finish.

Rosa needs to ditch the side step drop kicks. They look terrible and weak. I dont particularly like her. I think the way she innovates and improvises during matches arent well thought out and even unsafe. I cant doubt she is a hard worker though. There arent many that are staying as booked as she is while running their own promotion at the same time.

Jade is a star and while it's hard to see visible improvement at this point at least she isn't looking worse. I hope she and Nyla have more chances to work against each other. Nyla has the size to move Jade and direct her.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 2:36 PM, BobbyWhioux said:

I think it's there in Jericho's motivation for the Jericho/OC feud, and especially in Jim Cornette's genuine contempt for the act in his podcasts:

in the combat sport context, OC is gaining the psychological edge on his opponents by provoking them with the ultimate disrespect of not taking them seriously.

Turning your back to an opponent, or putting your hands in your pockets, you're telling someone that you are not a threat to me.  To any opponent in a combat sport, this is beyond insulting.  There's an extra wrinkle to this with the worked combat sport of wrestling, especially people with the (relatively) old school mindset of Jericho (and Cornette) who still have some connection to the era when wrestling did purport to be real.  OC dropping his guard reminds the audience that wrestling is a fake show in which a character who "doesn't care" can still plausibly survive and compete against a character who is ostensibly legitimately trying his utmost to win.  To the old school mindset, OC is not just showing his opponent up, he's exposing the business.  A multi-pronged assault on the opponent's aura and reputation. "Harley Race would have killed a motherfucker for pulling this shit. I have to destroy him."

Every second in which they have not yet put away the guy who isn't trying makes them look more and more impotent as fighters.  The longer it takes to put OC away, the more money he's taking out of their pocket.  They have to respond to OC with overwhelming rage and all out assault.  The pressure is on them to destroy him ASAP, and all he has to do is just not let that happen.

allowing OC to rely on defensive wrestling and counter-wrestling.  And defending is easier than attacking.  See every soccer team who has ever parked the metaphorical bus to steal the 1-0 win from a much more talented/skilled team.

The longer it goes, the more desperately angry they get to save face, thus the more mistake prone they become, and the more easily they are defeated by counterattacks.

Good point that completely loses me on the ‘business exposing’ argument.  I don’t see anything OC does as business exposing as much as say an ‘Irish whip’ or punch to the face not resulting in a bruise or... the list goes on and on.  The first part of your argument mostly works tho.  Cassidy is a chess master or perhaps a ‘cerebral assassin’.

• Like 1

That Arthur Ashe taping was one of the most tremendous things I've ever seen in my life, but I agree: five hours is a bit of a haul.

Not sure how viable it would be, but if I were AEW, I'd consider doing:

* Dark (Universal tapings)

* First hour of Dark: Elevation before Dynamite (3 hrs)

* Second hour of Dark: Elevation before taping two weeks of Rampage at a time (3 hrs)

I mean, really your only issue is travel and building costs, but I feel like that could be mitigated by taping the Elevation/double Rampage in the same city on Thursday.

Edit: I also realize it may be tough to sell out two nights in a row - smaller buildings may be an option here. For example, two crowds of 6-8K as opposed to one crowd of 10-12k. Then you can still build to your Ashes and your United Centers and such for special episodes

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 2

I feel like a solid one hour of pro wrestling is wonderful, 2 is pushing it and three is jazz.

took me quite a while to "get" OC, to me his hands in the pockets and shitty legs kicks are like a prime Anderson Silva dropping his hands and sticking his chin out. Its a way to frustrate his opponent and get them to make a mistake by luring them in.

• Like 4