Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

AEW - OCT 2021


Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Wait, Santino got to like, wrestle wrestle Danielson? I gotta see that.

I don’t want to get your hopes up. It’s just a couple of spots at the end of the match, but it’s the template for how he could’ve been booked. Bryan can’t believe his good luck that Santino’s his last opponent and gets sambo thrown for his hubris. It’s overall a really fun EC though. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I don’t want to get your hopes up. It’s just a couple of spots at the end of the match, but it’s the template for how he could’ve been booked. Bryan can’t believe his good luck that Santino’s his last opponent and gets sambo thrown for his hubris. It’s overall a really fun EC though. 

It's a really good finishing stretch between Daniel Bryan and Santino Marella, the Smackdown Elimination Chamber match at Elimination Chamber 2012 for Bryan's World Heavyweight Championship.

Santino Marella should have won the 2011 Royal Rumble match, he was the runner up to fucking Alberto Del Rio winning. It would have got over the anyone can win aspect, going from the quickest elimination in the history of the match at Royal Rumble 2009 to winning it, everyone likes a good underdog story and Santino could have lost the title shot before WrestleMania XXVIII. Real missed opportunity.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With their already excellent library, AEW needs to partner up with HBO Max or maybe even start their own streaming platform (though HBO Max makes more sense because of the built in Warner partnership to limit costs). I thankfully still had the awesome Dynamite from Atlanta on the DVR and popped that on today, and man that last hour was amazing with the end of Moxley-Cobb and Darby's return to a huge pop, the great tag title match of Kenny/Hangman against the Lucha Brothers, and Cody looking like the biggest star in wrestling in the cage match against Wardlow (and damn that MJF feud was awesome until the actual match, and Cody really should have won a return match or just won the original match to begin with). On the Cody note, while it's in vogue to shit on him now and he's brought plenty of it on himself, I still think there's plenty of money in him with a heel turn and then a possible face turn down the road (follow the path of Britt). On the whole, AEW is unquestionably a hotter product now with their numerous all-star additions in recent months, but damn AEW was still super hot right before the pandemic and has been the top promotion in the world since the jump (though a bit top heavy in first few months before guys like Darby, Jungle Boy, and Orange Cassidy got hot and stayed hot).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Big Z said:

With their already excellent library, AEW needs to partner up with HBO Max or maybe even start their own streaming platform

And liberate the rest of the Houston library from Corgan.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If they get offers right off the bat to stream their content, then they’d be crazy to foot the bill on their own streaming service. So many chances now than in the past to try that these days.

 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

And liberate the rest of the Houston library from Corgan.

My ultimate dream would be to liberate the JCP/WCW library from Vince and bring them back home.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m sure Vince would be willing to give it up. I think he’s realized that the value of old footage at this point has a very small appeal. Maybe good for highlight packages, but owning anymore tape libraries is a waist. But if he sells it, he’ll want double of what he paid to get them. Might as well wait until the WWE is sold to see what they’ll ask to get rid of the additional fat.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I’m sure Vince would be willing to give it up. I think he’s realized that the value of old footage at this point has a very small appeal. Maybe good for highlight packages, but owning anymore tape libraries is a waist. But if he sells it, he’ll want double of what he paid to get them. Might as well wait until the WWE is sold to see what they’ll ask to get rid of the additional fat.

It's definitely more feasible now with the WWE Network primarily being on Peacock and that being one part of a huge streaming library. Also, I could see TK and especially Cody pushing for it and willing to pay an amount like that (and it ever came to fruition, you'd never hear me utter a bad word about Cody again, though I'm already sympathetic to him to begin with).

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Big Z said:

On the Cody note, while it's in vogue to shit on him now and he's brought plenty of it on himself, I still think there's plenty of money in him with a heel turn and then a possible face turn down the road (follow the path of Britt).

Heels and faces are so passé in 2021. 🤭

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Big Z said:

With their already excellent library, AEW needs to partner up with HBO Max 

They're already partnered with HBO Max, aren't they? Hence that one Dynamite where there were HBO Max banners all over Daily's Place, and Tony and Excalibur kept talking about Deadwood (Excalibur almost did an impression of Mr Wu before he remembered he was on TV).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, AxB said:

They're already partnered with HBO Max, aren't they? Hence that one Dynamite where there were HBO Max banners all over Daily's Place, and Tony and Excalibur kept talking about Deadwood (Excalibur almost did an impression of Mr Wu before he remembered he was on TV).

They just did matches to promote upcoming movies that were streaming same-day on HBO Max (Kong Vs. Godzilla: Bear Country vs Jurassic Express / Space Jam 2: The Super Elite vs The Dark Order & Hangman Page). And when the app first launched, that's when they had the ring skirts and stuff with the HBO Max logo and whatnot, I'm pretty sure.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, (BP) said:

I don’t want to get your hopes up. It’s just a couple of spots at the end of the match, but it’s the template for how he could’ve been booked. Bryan can’t believe his good luck that Santino’s his last opponent and gets sambo thrown for his hubris. It’s overall a really fun EC though. 

Still it’s an awesome EC match, might be my favourite one because of the whole Santino factor and excellent finishing stretch. Way different to your classic 6 main eventers type of match.

Highly recommended.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wonder who the Joker is going to be. Looking at that match graphic, I don't see Matt Hardy, OC, or Jon Moxley winning it. PAC or Andrade I could see being a TV title defense for Omega right now, but I'm really leaning heavy into thinking Lance Archer takes it.

Also, I'm going to put this in spoilers because I don't know if anyone mentioned it or it matters, but...

 

Spoiler

Jake Roberts was with Archer at the show in Rochester Wednesday. Even did a little punch IIRC. But yeah, Jakes back - will be seen on Dark

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...