DVDVR Message Board

AEW - OCT 2021

The Natural

Adam Cole really is an incredibly nice person.  He's a fine heel but every out-of-wrestling thing I've seen him do just makes me really love the guy.  I still remember meeting him at an ROH after party when he was a heel.  He was passing by and I mentioned I really loved what he was doing.  He had the biggest smile and was super appreciative in his response so I could tell then that he's one of the good ones.  Whatever one says about him in the ring he's living his best life and I can't be happier for the guy.

• Like 9

On 10/30/2021 at 2:13 PM, Ultimo Necro said:

I always considered Tony Nese as the modern day Paul Roma.

Hopefully they team him with Nick Comoroto as Power and Glory 2.

He can then join the Pinnacle when it’s just him, MJF and Brock Anderson.

I really like that idea of Comoroto & Nese. 

• Like 2

Unfortunately “Speedball” Mike Bailey appears to have signed with Impact Wrestling instead of AEW.  This puts a damper on my hopes of creating the combined rosters of 2013-2016 era PWG, AAW, EVOLVE and a segment of the slept on Impact roster that birthed several AEW regulars.  

Chris Hero is fortunately still on the board which is odd for a trusted, experienced and versatile legit hoss-like heavyweight in 2021.   Other names from my favourite period in 21st century American wrestling such as Ricochet, Matt Riddle, Keith Lee, Kyle O’Reilly, Roderick Strong, Drew McIntyre and Zack Sabre Jr are all in committed relationships with their current employers.  

Hey, you never know these days. TK has lured other eyes to wander already. Half those names might not make it past any roster cuts in the future…although that says more about a lack of creativity more so than it would be a reflection of those names not being worthy of a payday from the most profitable promotion in the history of pro wrestling.

I think Chris Hero might have quietly been working backstage for ROH. Just based on how many people who were with ROH (in their Thank You posts) seemed to thank either "Hero" or Chris nolastname. Although if he was, that would presumably make him a free agent now, assuming he was even under contract to begin with.

Like, Chris Dickinson (for example) was regularly on ROH shows but wasn't signed.

There's such a weird dichotomy in AEW right now between these 4 men: Kingston, Mox, Punk, Danielson.

Danielson is wrestling like a heel but getting 90% face reactions. Mox is beginning to wrestle like a heel but is getting cheered, (and I think will continue to be cheered wrestling this way). Kingston I can see getting the majority of the crowd onside against Punk, even though I'm not even sure if that's their design or not. And Punk's Uncle Punk routine is already beginning to wear thin, but again maybe that's on purpose?

I'm loving being uncertain about these characters and and drooling at the prospect of Mox/Danielson final and Punk/Kingston soon too, but have absolutely no idea what's going to happen in any of the matches or going forwards. All 4 men are talented enough that I could see a Punk/Danielson power trip heel pairing or a Mox/Kingston angry against the new outsiders pairing happening or something else entirely and I'd be happy with any of it.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Adam Cole really is an incredibly nice person.  He's a fine heel but every out-of-wrestling thing I've seen him do just makes me really love the guy.  I still remember meeting him at an ROH after party when he was a heel.  He was passing by and I mentioned I really loved what he was doing.  He had the biggest smile and was super appreciative in his response so I could tell then that he's one of the good ones.  Whatever one says about him in the ring he's living his best life and I can't be happier for the guy.

Thank you for sharing. Cool Adam Cole was good to you as you're a good un, @NikoBaltimore.

• Thanks 1

On 10/30/2021 at 2:14 AM, Elsalvajeloco said:

About that...Kelly Kobold (who fought Shayna AND apparently ODB which is hilarious) fought at 160 back in the mid 2000s. Guess what she fought at in her last fight in 2018? 125.

Yeah,  but this didn't help my argument at all. In all reality though,  Carano probably should have been fighting at lightweight. She's a large woman (not meant as an insult. There are plenty reasons to insult Carano, her looks aren't one of them) who struggled mightily to make 145, but finding fights at 155+ really limits potential opponents. Carano is someone I'm pretty surprised never got into pro wrestling. It is probably because she got some pretty good film roles straight out of the gate,  but she's the exact woman I would have tried to sign after she gave up fighting. 

9 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Yeah,  but this didn't help my argument at all. In all reality though,  Carano probably should have been fighting at lightweight. She's a large woman (not meant as an insult. There are plenty reasons to insult Carano, her looks aren't one of them) who struggled mightily to make 145, but finding fights at 155+ really limits potential opponents. Carano is someone I'm pretty surprised never got into pro wrestling. It is probably because she got some pretty good film roles straight out of the gate,  but she's the exact woman I would have tried to sign after she gave up fighting. 

She did that one season of American Gladiators about 10+ years ago when they had Hulk and Laila Ali hosting. That was suppose to be her first big break (IIRC this was before Haywire had came out) outside of MMA. Thing is they were showing it in summer (on a Saturday no less) so the ratings went down dramatically after the first episode. This was pre performance center and I doubt Gina really had any interest in doing pro wrestling. It's clear that fighting (pre-determined or not) was just a springboard for TV and films. 

I forgot Nese was even released, I had been a fan of him since his early Evolve run. The way AEW books from Week to week between the 3 Shows they've done a pretty good job featuring these recently released WWE talent and there's more to come I'm sure and I'm sure some ROH talent are going to be coming in soon