DVDVR Message Board

AEW - OCT 2021

The Natural

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

Yep. That's Malakai Black.

Wait. Are you suggesting that that is NOT the man who Excalibur wrestled in Essen, Germany?

That's crazy, man.

• Like 1

Just now, AxB said:

Wait. Are you suggesting that that is NOT the man who Excalibur wrestled in Essen, Germany?

That's crazy, man.

No, that guy was Tommy End. Tommy End, the guy who wrestled Excalibur, had different tattoos on account there being less of them, and didn't have a bone crowd. It's a common misconception. Don't worry about it.

• Thanks 1

Spoiler

4no8owfh7gu71.jpg

I'm spoilering that for size, because the picture is absurdly large for some reason, but a since deleted tweet by ShopAEW seems to imply AEW is partnering with Susan G Komen foundation.

Edit: If I'm reading into it, this is probably in reference to above tweet

Edited by Krone Meltzer
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

It was a shallow victory and celebrating over this like you just knocked out Mike Tyson or something is dumb. 

I think he was pretty pissed off at how petty they've been and then the no commercial stuff too, because he knows that's a pissing contest where both companies lose financially. He went so over the top in his dunking that he won me over. It's hilarious. You gotta read his tweets in his Giannis Antetokounmpo intro voice. 

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

When you're fighting a company that's so insecure and petty that they just took great pains to knock a D level wrestling company off a C level streaming service, you take all the hollow victories you can get and laugh all the way.

You're talking out of your ass.

Spoiler

Tubi is well below a C-level streaming service. 

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

It was a shallow victory and celebrating over this like you just knocked out Mike Tyson or something is dumb. 

Also, did you not notice just how frequently the WWE has felt the need to let everyone know they won the Monday Night War? For the last 20 years?

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, AxB said:

Also, did you not notice just how frequently the WWE has felt the need to let everyone know they won the Monday Night War? For the last 20 years?

That's some major league conflation. 

Also, none of what I'm seeing is wrong or illegal here. It's COMPETITION. Isn't this what fans say they want? That means, WWE can use every resource and broadcast advantage at its disposal because it's WWE. That's business. Business is business.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

That's some major league conflation. 

Also, none of what I'm seeing is wrong or illegal here. It's COMPETITION. Isn't this what fans say they want? That means, WWE can use every resource and broadcast advantage at its disposal because it's WWE. That's business. Business is business.

And all that's fine. But WWE swears up and down, to anyone who will listen, every day and seven times on Sunday that AEW is NOT competition. As you apparently agree, actions speak louder than words.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Dog said:

And all that's fine. But WWE swears up and down, to anyone who will listen, every day and seven times on Sunday that AEW is NOT competition. As you apparently agree, actions speak louder than words.

I don't even know why I'm defending WWE because I think their product is garbage. My point is, it's dumb BS and when I see AEW and Tony Khan engaging in it, it makes me cringe. Just because WWE engages in low-brow posturing doesn't mean I want to see AEW do it. And when AEW does it and it annoys me, I will speak as such.

• Like 3

THAT'S ALSO FINE, but it has nothing to do with the tweet you quoted, that was entirely about whether WWE sees AEW as competition or not.

It's like if you said, "Oh man, it's raining," and I replied, "Yeah, well maybe Kanye should shut his mouth!"

Edited by Dog
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

Competition is things like putting on a better product, selling it at a better price, or maximizing your cost efficiency. Making business decisions that hurt your own bottom line (like scheduling your shows at the same time as the other guy's when they'd get better ratings unopposed, or forgoing advertising revenue during those times for no sensible reason) in the hopes that it'll drive the new guy out of the market is not competition. It's anti-competitive conduct. And it is in fact illegal.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Competition is things like putting on a better product, selling it at a better price, or maximizing your cost efficiency. Making business decisions that hurt your own bottom line (like scheduling your shows at the same time as the other guy's when they'd get better ratings unopposed, or forgoing advertising revenue during those times for no sensible reason) in the hopes that it'll drive the new guy out of the market is not competition. It's anti-competitive conduct. And it is in fact illegal.

Sorry, counter-programming is not illegal. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Sorry, counter-programming is not illegal. 

Oh, I'll concede it's rather unlikely they'd be found guilty in a US court of law. (From my view as an outsider, US culture in general doesn't seem to be big on competitive free markets.) And my original post may have been worded too strongly; I'm not sufficiently versed in antitrust law to say for certain whether WWE's actions crossed the line. My point was that your blanket assertion that those actions aren't illegal may be on shakier ground than you realize. To quote from the US FTC's website:

It is unlawful for a company to monopolize or attempt to monopolize trade, meaning a firm with market power cannot act to maintain or acquire a dominant position by excluding competitors or preventing new entry.

Are you really 100% certain that WWE's actions couldn't be construed as "acting to maintain ... a dominant position by excluding competitors or preventing new entry"? If so, would you care to argue your point? Because it looks to me like that's exactly what they're doing.