DVDVR Message Board

AEW - OCT 2021

The Natural

2 minutes ago, Octopus said:

70-CF9271-4-C9-B-487-C-8-A17-4607-D58601 

At this point, I hope you're right so Black can move on without the cloud of Cody looming over his head. I just want this to end. I also want to hear the reaction to when it happens. ? Although, Florida seems pretty pro Cody. Because of course.

8 minutes ago, Jiji said:

At this point, I hope you're right so Black can move on without the cloud of Cody looming over his head. I just want this to end. I also want to hear the reaction to when it happens. ? Although, Florida seems pretty pro Cody. Because of course.

B827-C152-79-D0-4351-8-BAE-3879842832-D0

As you wish ?

(edit: I’m sorry @John from Cincinnati, I don’t mean it!)

Edited by Octopus
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

Posted previously that Black needs to get away from Cody ASAP in the booking before Cody takes his win back. The fact that they are running this back so quickly should hopefully mean a swerve on the play they pulled on Brodie Lee, where Cody completely took his legs out from underneath him in one of the worst booking decisions they've had, and that instead Malakai takes a 3rd victory here. That's what should happen, let's see what does happen.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, A_K said:

Posted previously that Black needs to get away from Cody ASAP in the booking before Cody takes his win back. The fact that they are running this back so quickly should hopefully mean a swerve on the play they pulled on Brodie Lee, where Cody completely took his legs out from underneath him in one of the worst booking decisions they've had, and that instead Malakai takes a 3rd victory here. That's what should happen, let's see what does happen.

Agreed.  Black needs to either be chasing titles or recruiting for the House of Black.  

I can't believe that they would give away a Cody win over Malakai for free on normal television.  I am expecting a swerve, run-in, screw job or yet another win by Black.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I don't think Black loses. I just want him to win and finally escape the Cody Rhodes Booking Vortex. And not because I don't like Cody, I just think two wins over Cody is enough and I'm not sure people really give a shit anymore about whatever feud Cody and Black still have because they deemphasized the hell out of the feud the moment Cody lost a second time. I just don't know what Cody does next and feuding with Arn would be pretty damn weird.

• Like 3

Beating Black here would be Cody giving in to his worst Dusty/HHH impulses ? 

I'd do a quick vignette with Arn telling Cody he's not ready yet, Cody blows him off, loses handily again, then Cody can do a long program against various members of the Nightmare Family, directed by Arn, as he tries to get his groove back.

Maybe Cody loses again and he gets to finish whatever his plan was when he started taking off his boots.  Maybe he wasn't really retiring and was only getting rid of those boots to unveil his new Armani ones.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3

I feel pretty strongly that someone has to mercilessily bloody up Happy Uncle Punk at some point. I'm increasingly thinking that instead of putting over some young guy, you use it as the capstone for whatever the hell the Cody thing is supposed to be. How dare Punk go out there and be happy and get Cody's pops while Cody is doing everything humanly possible to be a GOOD, GOOD Guy and the fans are turning on him. How dare Punk not go for the title when Cody CAN'T go for the title. How dare Punk face all these random up and comers when that was Cody's deal with the open TNT challenge.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

It came up earlier, but I think Cody loses again. Maybe Black wins via shenanigans from Cody's next opponent, or maybe Arn turns on him. I just think it's a real mistake to beat Black at this time. 

So, are you suggesting that we should 

Always

Bet 

on 

Spoiler

Malakai?

• Haha 5

Cody's biggest problem is that he so clearly isn't a big enough star to compete with the biggest stars in the show any more. Punk need a program,  but I don't think Cody will be able to compete with him on any level. Cody is the king of being pretty good at everything,  but great at nothing.  He doesn't feel like he should be sharing the ring with Malakai Black, who is charismatic, but not someone who has perfected his character. Punk is a legitimately all time great promo, with a beloved character.  Cody will be blown off the screen in every segment. Cody needs to either step up in ways I'm not 100% sure he's capable of,  or he needs to be the top midcard guy who is putting helping build up young guys. He's so far behind guys like Punk, Danielson, Omega, Moxley, Miro, etc., that I can't see him as a main event act.  Honestly if you put him in a program against Adam Cole, who is going to be doing the heavy lifting getting the program over? Who is the highest person on the card that Cody can be in a program with and feel like he's pulling half the weight?

• Like 2

We already saw Cody as a main event babyface and he was damn good at it. Problem is, he hasn't been that Cody for a long while. I think he can get back there, but he'll need to drop the jingoistic, America rah rah shit, and stop trying to look better than all of the fans. Get back to what works - Set your sights on a goal, encounter obstacles to that goal, kick ass, show fire, and accomplish that goal. Right now, he doesn't have any goals and beating a dude that has already beaten you twice in a row doesn't exactly count.

• Like 1

AEW ELEVATION DARK 

Still on the D show train from last week. Not a whole lot of anything to really recommend watching. 

Gustavo vs. Dustin Rhodes

Dustin comes out with new finisher dubbed the Backlund Driver. I'm not sure why he would bother at this point in his career other than he's bored with his other 15 finishes. He ran the ropes pretty well in this.  Dustin sort of suffers in this era of smaller workers as he's really good at working sympathetic but it's really hard when he's a head taller than the people he's working with.  

Will Austin vs. Wardlow

More of the same from Wardlow with the typical spots. The knee finish was better this week because, as noted, it is driven by the guy taking the move. I don't care for how they do the knock out check as the referee goes to the check super quickly and calls for the bell just as fast. I'm fine with KOs being a thing but it is so clearly only used for this one move in the promotion. In other words, if they were so quick to call for the bell here, why didn't the referee even look at Bryan Danielson when Suzuki caved in his face with a forearm. 

Jaka & Sean Maluta vs. Santana & Ortiz

No reason for @Matt Dto lay off his fast forward button here. Jaka and Maluta looked like they had a little bit of chemistry but Santana and Ortiz continued to do the things that make them less interesting with lots of superfluous movement and lots of double teaming for the full five seconds. 

Ryo Mizunami & KiLynn King & Red Velvet vs. Nyla Rose & Emi Sakura & Diamanté

I think we may have been going somewhere more interesting if Red Velvet didn't try to paralyze herself (again). This really feels like a grab names out of a hat match with no through lines and nothing to really sink your teeth into. Finish came out of nowhere and wasn't great.

• Like 2