DVDVR Message Board

AEW - OCT 2021

The Natural

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

Britt is not as horribly green as Jade is, and Britt often rises to the caliber of the person she's in the ring against.  Problem is that she can't be in the ring with Thunder Rosa every night.  Even Shida and Tay Conti have their moments of awkwardness in matches that make me think that extended programs with Britt might not be a good idea.

That's why I think another women's singles title is a horrible idea.  Tag belts would be better so that then you could tie a rocket to Jade and Nyla and cover up Jade's weaknesses by giving her a partner. 

Personally, I'd put the belt on either Ruby, Rosa, or Serena Deeb next.

I agree that they should have done tag titles for the women instead but if they use the TBS title similar to the TNT title where there are lots of open challenges—maybe that could be a way for them to bring in some veterans with tv experience to help carry the multitude of green girls on the roster.

My hope is that he's just still pushing the gimmick he was doing before with Impact, but now with WWE. If that's the case, then it may be more fun that way just to see what Vince does in response.

Best and most hilarious case scenario, he fires Nick Khan thinking that Nick is Tony or related to Tony.

• Haha 3

Tony is a pretty online guy, he probably sees all the endless argy bargy between the rival fanbases, figures it's good publicity and plays into it. It's almost as if the fans were all marks, and the rivalry between the companies was a money angle he was disengenuously working.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, Tony's well aware that grievance toward that other company energizes a (far too large) chunk of his fanbase. It's silly shit, but it serves his interests to stir people up. 

"It doesn't seem very civil. In the name of civility, I won't spend frivolously thank you. But I could if I wanted to" is very funny. 

11 minutes ago, AxB said:

Tony is a pretty online guy, he probably sees all the endless argy bargy between the rival fanbases, figures it's good publicity and plays into it. It's almost as if the fans were all marks, and the rivalry between the companies was a money angle he was disengenuously working.

He reminds me a lot of Paul E with ECW.  They've both positioned themselves as an alternative to what many perceive to be a "stale" wrestling landscape.  Except with Paul, he portrayed himself and ECW as underdogs.  Coach Tony doesn't really have to do that.  His way of being the alternative is just giving fans exactly what they want.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Log said:

Except with Paul, he portrayed himself and ECW as underdogs.  Coach Tony doesn't really have to do that.

And thank god for that, because that shit is tiresome.  I read a recap of this weekend's GCW show and Lauderdale came out and cut at least one, maybe two promos about how NOBODY BELIEVED IN US~! and then they also ran a promo package for the Hammerstein show essentially saying that everyone thinks all their wrestlers are shit for one reason or another BUT WE MADE IT TO THE HAMMERSTEIN~!  Like at some point you need to tell me why your company is worthwhile instead of telling me that you're all a bunch of losers like me and that if I give you my money we can fight the man together.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

They should bring in Lufisto to challenge Britt again, saying she chickened out the first time.

If Lufisto came back, I would just want her to go to Impact for the Team PAWG reunion with Jordynn Grace.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Chess, not checkers.

“I'm of the outlook that if you pay your money to attend the show if you give us your attention to watch the show, you do whatever you want. I think our competition in the wrestling space, one of the things that has hurt them is their inability to hear. If you're a wrestler in the ring, you can hear and if you don't hear [reactions], you're doing yourself a disservice. You're doing the whole company a disservice, you're doing the match you're in a disservice. I can hear but I also play chess, not checkers.

“So I think it's fun to speculate and there's so much that we've seen in the past, “That's how this went and that's how this could go.” The challenge I'm facing in the direction I'm going is something that has never been done in wrestling before. There's tons of just old plays that we could run here, ‘Oh, kick this guy in the balls and abuse my EVP power.’ Very soap opera bullshit. I don't mean to say that harsh, but the challenge for me now is to go in a direction that perhaps no wrestler has gone before. I don't come out of either tunnel, if that's probably the best way to put it, and I'm looking forward to it as the most fun I've ever had in my career has been navigating some of these new spaces. For example, in New York, we had 25,000 people and that reaction’s a little different. Last week, I'm in the concourse doing a book drive for community outreach and it's the opposite of that reaction in Philly. That beautiful feeling of, ‘Alright, these are my people,’ depends [on the setting]. Some places I go, they'll be my people. Other places I go, they won't, but that's your right as the fan to do what you want.”

“Woody was having a hell of a time. He was having a great time. He was getting played with every day. He was the number one toy. Buzz Lightyear shows up, Woody gets thrown in the toy box. If you're wondering how I feel, take a peek at how Woody felt in the very first Toy Story because that, to a degree, has been my role lately. However, with that said in my pettiness aside, I have been doing this since I was 15 years old and that education is invaluable in terms of me not panicking, and in terms of also me enjoying this moment. I've never had a run like this in my career where everything is happening at once personally and professionally. I want to ride the wave. I want to look back at it and enjoy it. But yes, if anyone wants to know perhaps how I feel identify with Woody from Toy Story if that makes any sense. That's where I'm at with it.”

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/cody-rhodes-being-booed-i-feel-woody-toy-story?amp&__twitter_impression=true

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

My feelings on Cody are weird.  On the one hand, I haven't actually enjoyed anything he's done in quite a while.  On the other, I actually really appreciate that he seems to really want to do something different.  It's cool that he thinks like that, but he just hasn't pulled it off yet.

• Like 4

It is very weird and maybe even fascinating to look at Cody from years ago where he posted that list of wrestlers on Twitter that he wanted to face, getting to wrestle many of them including maybe even Kurt Angle in a cage, to then think about him now. I don't know the dude, but at times it feels like success went to his head a little too much where now he's very, um, pretentious? No, maybe that's not the right word, but I guess it's a little like reading interviews of someone like Gus Van Sant or Danny Boyle or, well, there's a ton of examples, from before they had their big success to after. These people get up their own ass about their art or whatever the fuck and it's like, man, we just want to see good wrestling and good storylines in wrestling. This shit doesn't need to be high art.

So on the one hand I appreciate him trying to do something different. On the other hand, whatever it is he's doing is getting long in the tooth and he was at his absolute fucking best when he was the big company babyface and nearly the company ace. It was just simple shit he was doing that others weren't doing. Lots of times when the heel or heel stable taunts you, the face just kind of stands there and looks like a dope, but Cody did what he should do and charged into the stands, went up to the private suite, busted in, and a big ol' brawl broke out. That is both right within the realm of shit that has always been in wrestling and different enough in that Cody just didn't stand in the ring and say that the Inner Circle's time would come soon. I think that's why he got a big reaction for fighting back against Black. People want to see these dudes fight and show passion. You can only have so many nuanced or long term storylines and Hangman's is the biggest example of that. One of those is probably enough. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I don't know, man. He's being very, very ambitious if the idea is this is supposed to be some sort of angle where instead of Bret and Canada vs the US, it's Cody and like Jacksonville vs the rest of the US. I really don't even know if that's a proper description.

He's got a 20 foot fucking cape and his own Axl Rose ego ramp, but he's out there cutting rah rah USA promos about his baby. I mean, he's definitely correct, I've been watching since '94 and I really have not seen anything like it...

• Like 1

Cody’s big angle is so nuanced that, to the untrained eye, it looks like it hasn’t gone anywhere in a year and a half.  

I’m joking around but seriously, if they’re doing the Rocky 3 gimmick where Arn is fed up with Cody’s extracurricular bullshit and he’s lost the Eye of the Tiger, that’s literally where they were starting to go during Cody’s first TNT title run and then they abandoned it.

My big takeaway from the angle so far is that the Cody character hangs around the house after dark dressed to the nines like a real douchebag.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I remember when his biggest proponent on here was all about keeping characters simple like Jon Moxley. ?

Cody is very persuasive. I extend him trust that I generally wouldn't give to others. I know he won't let me down.

29 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

My big takeaway from the angle so far is that the Cody character hangs around the house after dark dressed to the nines like a real douchebag.

Cody goals:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Cody is the friend that occasionally embarrasses you with his theatrics, but he’s a good dude. Some of his over the top storytelling is perfect (post-Dustin match promo, feud with Jericho, being whipped by MJF, being squashed by Brodee in their first match, dapper outfit, Rosario Dawson) and some is awkward (hammering the thrown, out of nowhere politics promo, neck tattoo, weird fake retire with taking his boot off, neck tattoo). He swings very big and times it works and other times it doesn’t. For me, there is more good then bad. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, mystman said:

The problem with Cody is a mirror to the problem with MJF. One is a good guy trying too hard to be a Babyface. The other is an asshole trying too hard to be a heel.

If you’ve ever watched an out of character interview with MJF, he definitely doesn’t give off the asshole vibe. He’s actually really quiet and reserved. In the interview I watched, Ethan Page and Ricky Starks seemed like more of assholes than MJF did.

6 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I don't come out of either tunnel, if that's probably the best way to put it, and I'm looking forward to it as the most fun I've ever had in my career has been navigating some of these new spaces.

That's brilliant if that's their ploy that he's a tweener. 

Begs the question - if the entrance tunnels dictate face/heel, what is Malakai Black?

• Like 1