DVDVR Message Board

AEW - OCT 2021

The Natural

4 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Someone zoomed in on a still photo of TK holding a notebook and presto, we might have the whole Full Gear card leaked.

Spoilers in the spoiler tag.

Edit to add: if you click through to the replies on Twitter, people have pretty much been able to read the whole thing.

Hide contents

The fact he walks around with his wrestling booking notebook makes me like TK even more ?

• Like 7

7 hours ago, AxB said:

Utterly bizarre to me, that weird fans on twitter pull out the "i DoN't KnOw WhO tHaT iS!" ignorance flex, on someone who already wrestled on Dynamite TWICE (and one was a main event, no less). Notwithstanding that he trended Worldwide a couple of weeks ago thanks to the Suzuki Incident thing. Notwithstanding that he's been a known name in the business for like 3 decades already.

This whole "I don't know who that is" as a dismissive gesture is hard for me to get my head around. Like, AJ Styles debuted in the Royal Rumble to a big response, didn't he? Nakamura went to WWE and people were hyped about it, weren't they? Why were they? They didn't know who he was?

NXT 2.0 being the "You don't know who these people are" show is getting a lot of love from some WWE fans. Even as they pull out an Ostrich-mode dismissal of legit legends. It's beyond logic, I tell you.

Well, I have been accused of being elitist and arrogant for my open disdain of casuals who only follow US pro wrestling.  I have argued that it is probably easier these days with YouTube and Dailymotion to keep yourself up on who's who, but that falls on deaf ears.

It's not like it was back in the day when I was jumping on bulletin boards to tape trade or heading over to Dean's crib and exchanging pizza for an afternoon's sitdown and review of the latest and greatest.  You don't just go over to a man's house and not bring food.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 10/12/2021 at 11:21 AM, J.T. said:

You don't put Jade into title matches against Britt because there is no traction for Britt if / when she wins.   Yes, Jade is finally starting to put shit together but Britt has experience and the numbers game on her side.  Jade is the underdog in that match and IMO she should not leave with the title  Britt wins that contest all day every day.

See also:  Ruby Soho, Thunder Rosa, Nyla Rose, Emi Sakura (there I said it).

That being said, Jade is a star on the rise and her first L has the potential to elevate (no pun intended) anyone who beats her.  I hate to say it, but I'd probably book a DQ loss for Britt or a time limit draw for her match with Jade and then use an L on Jade's record as a vehicle to put someone like the ever improving Skye Blue or a much less green Julia Hart on blast.

I like how AEW treats its organic talent well and I'd like to see this continue.

The problem is you can't book Brit or Jade into a time limit draw. They both are green and need someone to carry them.  Brit's promo ability and mic work has improved by leaps and bounds. I was her biggest critic and I'l admit she is a top heel. The problem is her ring work still doesn't reasonate to me as a champion. In my mind a champion should be able to carry anyone to a good/great match.  A champion should not need to be carried.  

Having said that, I do think a DQ/Double countout could be the way to go. AEW rarely does non finishes so I'd be ok with this as I would think most fans.

So who does beat Brit?  Shita?  Thunder? Ruby?  Not a ton of viable options right now.  As long as it's not Brandi I'l be ok with their decision. 

I really should follow her on Twitter.

Also, I know that ol' Coach Tony K is infamous for starting the sleaze thread.  But I wonder how he was on the old board aside from that.  Was he decent enough, a bratty teen or somewhere in between.  I was there when the topic was still up but it was so chaotic that it was hard to keep track of all who were there.

12 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

The problem is you can't book Brit or Jade into a time limit draw. They both are green and need someone to carry them.  Brit's promo ability and mic work has improved by leaps and bounds. I was her biggest critic and I'l admit she is a top heel. The problem is her ring work still doesn't reasonate to me as a champion. In my mind a champion should be able to carry anyone to a good/great match.  A champion should not need to be carried.  

Having said that, I do think a DQ/Double countout could be the way to go. AEW rarely does non finishes so I'd be ok with this as I would think most fans.

So who does beat Brit?  Shita?  Thunder? Ruby?  Not a ton of viable options right now.  As long as it's not Brandi I'l be ok with their decision. 

Britt is not as horribly green as Jade is, and Britt often rises to the caliber of the person she's in the ring against.  Problem is that she can't be in the ring with Thunder Rosa every night.  Even Shida and Tay Conti have their moments of awkwardness in matches that make me think that extended programs with Britt might not be a good idea.

That's why I think another women's singles title is a horrible idea.  Tag belts would be better so that then you could tie a rocket to Jade and Nyla and cover up Jade's weaknesses by giving her a partner. 

Personally, I'd put the belt on either Ruby, Rosa, or Serena Deeb next.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Britt is not as horribly green as Jade is, and Britt often rises to the caliber of the person she's in the ring against.  Problem is that she can't be in the ring with Thunder Rosa every night.  Even Shida and Tay Conti have their moments of awkwardness in matches that make me think that extended programs with Britt might not be a good idea.

That's why I think another women's singles title is a horrible idea.  Tag belts would be better so that then you could tie a rocket to Jade and Nyla and cover up Jade's weaknesses by giving her a partner.

Personally, I'd put the belt on either Ruby, Rosa, or Serena Deeb next.

I really couldn't agree with you more.  Part of me is even thinking back and wondering "was Brit's in ring bad in IWC because of the caliber of opponents she had"  but then I thought back and she was in there with Ray Lynn who is really good and deserves to be signed,  Katie Arquette who yes she was also very green at the time too, and Marti Belle who is also should be in AEW.  

Something that isn't well known (and one of the reason's I soured on Brit) is that she was originally going to face Lufisto in a cage match. This could have been a chance to face a star and try a whole different style of wrestling.  She refused to do it and Katie Arquette took the match (and one of an ass kicking)  Katie earned my respect huge that night while I lost a lot for Britt.

If any of you are familiar with Ziggy Haim  she also was supposed to be facing Britt, Britt refused to work with her and made up a bullshit story and the match never happened. Ziggy left the promotion soon after. 

I will say this though. Britt's attitude has changed for the better. She did the match with Thunder that was easily the best women's match this year. That hardcore style match is something she never would have done 3-4 yrs ago and it makes me wonder just how great that match with Lufisto would have been.   I think Britt will have a great 2022 and hope that Deeb or Rosa get the TBS belt as well. Rosa and Deeb can have a great match and can also carry anyone. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Britt’s one of those young wrestlers that’s naturally good at skills that take a lot of talent years to develop but also has plenty of things to work on before they’re a capable ring general. With her other career she’s probably working on polishing that stuff the least out of anyone in AEW, certainly the least of those in her elevated position on the roster. That’s not a knock on her work ethic or commitment; there’s just no way for her to develop when she’s doing tv once a week and often working with talent that’s at her level of experience or less. 

Jade and Britt will get better the more they work if they become students of the game.  Britt relies a little too much on chemistry, I think.   She has wonderful synergy with Rosa, Kris Statlander, and a lot of the job girls that she's beaten down, but not so much with Shida or Ruby so far and I don't think she's worked Tay or Anna extensively yet.  Problem is that you can't always pick the person across the ring from you.

Jade may be green, but she can at least impose her will in the ring and get her spots over no matter who she is in there with..  I admire that about her.  Now if we could get Jade not to slingshot girls face first into the steel ring ropes, we'll be getting somewhere.

We all had our concerns about Penelope Ford and she has become a superworker in record time, so I have faith that Jade and Britt will be okay.

And yeah.  The tbs championship should've been tag belts.   Ford & The Bunny would've made great inaugural ladies tag champs and then they could've jobbed to the Sea Stars who would then job to Nyla and Jade.

Edited by J.T.

I really just wanted to spring board off some of the prior Danielson-Suzuki discussion regarding character goals and the meta narrative. The two goals I wanted to talk about were "I want a match with you because you're only here a short time" and "I want to have a good match". I feel as though the first goal makes sense but the second does not unless you put a whole lot of qualifiers on top of it. Granted the details are what make a story actually worth watching and no story is on its face good or bad just from a conceptual level.

1. The first motivation makes sense especially if your character making the challenge is portrayed as hyper competitive and wanting to challenge themselves. I think it also helps if they develop a sense of exclusivity to the challenge and demonstrate that not everyone is getting a chance to have the match in question. Ideally our outsider would overcome some of the challengers in order to show exactly why people are lining up to knock them off. I feel as though this would both harken back to the old touring model which really only AEW can do right now with their working relationships and would be used best for someone with either a high physical presence (like WALTER who obviously wouldn't be available) or a unique set of physical skills like a Zack Sabre Jr. But I think it would require some promotion to make work correctly with the hype before the arrival being something that includes the fact that this person is going to be on a set amount of shows. I think this works into the meta as beating the outsider becomes an achievement someone can reach for and you could eventually turn it on its face if one of the homegrown people knocks off the invaders multiple times and people come in just to get at the homesteader.
  2. The I want to have a good match motivation is harder to work with as it normally runs into an issue with the competitive meta of the matchup. For example, if your build is to having a good match and one of the wrestlers knocks the other one out in the opening moments, has the competitor who won actually failed in their mission? I'm perfectly okay with someone like RVD or Omega trying to put on the best show possible because they are so arrogant and it becomes a fault of theirs for storytelling, but that's really got limited utility. I don't think you can have more than one of them in a promotion and I think you need to agent them very particularly manner and control the number of victory attempts they make. They can't do covers after a shoulder block for example.
  • Like 2

I start from the kayfabe perspective that this is a sport, but that a promotion is run by a promoter looking for attractions that will draw money. Showboating, signature moves, and catchphrases are a way for a wrestler to get the attention of the crowd to elicit a response, thus encouraging the promoter to move the wrestler up the card. The wrestler can then make more money in higher profile matches and potentially capture titles. They’re just like real prize fighters who have to work their audience to ascend faster in MMA and Boxing. The trick is that “great wrestlers” can balance the performative aspects that are required of them while still focusing on winning. It’s one of the reasons commentators regularly call attention to young wrestlers showing off excessively instead of staying on top of their opponent or going for a pin. 

Bryan in both kayfabe and reality is one of the greatest ever bell to bell, but he knew that wasn’t enough to prove he’s the best in WWE. And because he’s one of the best at his craft, he figured out how to get the audience in the palm of his hand and force the promoters to give him the opportunities he wanted. 

In this case, he’s a competitor. He wants Omega to prove he’s the best, and even though he hasn’t really said it he knows that taking the world title would mean he is the best. But his competitive nature means he doesn’t have the patience to tear through a bunch of younger talent haphazardly like Punk. If he’s going to need to rack up wins to get what he wants he's going to kill two birds with one stone by getting TK to throw dream opponents at him.

Enter The King, who’s on a tour of the US and has matches we can see online on a weekly basis where young indy guys throw themselves into the wood chipper to prove themselves to him and the larger wrestling community. Suzuki loves caving in the chests of guys half his age and stretching them without breaking a sweat, but he’s a fierce competitor at heart too. He’s going to take shots at the gaijin who dare put themselves in his league like Mox and Bryan. 

Edited by (BP)
  • Like 2