DVDVR Message Board

AEW - OCT 2021

The Natural

12 hours ago, J.T. said:

Abadon needs to be the inaugural champion and then she needs to get beat by Tay, or Anna.  You could also do worse than have Diamante as the first TBS title holder.  First champ need to be a heel in the fine JCP tradition.

It's kinda obvious that they are going to put the belt on Jade Cargill, though.  That booking just writes itself.  Jade has the charisma of a title holder but she is still green as grass and Britt is still mega over.  Jade won't be getting a AEW women's title shot anytime soon so here Jade, here is some gold to put around your waist until you are ready to be a real contender that won't injure the people you're in the ring with.

Jade is likely going to be Britt’s opponent at Full Gear.

• Like 1

It's probably been mentioned a bunch here and there, but I really love that AEW allows people to have gray hairs if they so choose. Punk and Henry immediately jump to mind. It's refreshing to see compared to like Drew McIntyre's ridiculously dark-dyed hair AND beard. Add in more regular body hair, women who have a variety of different make-up and hair styles, wrestlers not constantly being in gear... It's almost like they're actually human beings and not just products to support a brand!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

It's probably been mentioned a bunch here and there, but I really love that AEW allows people to have gray hairs if they so choose. Punk and Henry immediately jump to mind. It's refreshing to see compared to like Drew McIntyre's ridiculously dark-dyed hair AND beard. Add in more regular body hair, women who have a variety of different make-up and hair styles, wrestlers not constantly being in gear... It's almost like they're actually human beings and not just products to support a brand!

Meanwhile Tony (who I love is back in wrestling and seems to found his smile again in AEW) has gone full dye job and ear rings.  I consider Tony Schiavone's re-emergence into pro wrestling one of the best stories, and AEW has brought him back. 

• Like 12

I think I figured out why Daniel Garcia isn't signed yet; He doesn't want to be under a deal because, once he is, his indie bookings will start to be limited to "Matches I'm going to win". And he really wants to be able to take more bookings than that, including matches where he's going to lose.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, supremebve said:

I don't understand the need for a trios title. Has there ever been a good trios title in mainstream American wrestling? If much prefer something like a young lions type title so guys like Dante Martin can do more than get killed every week.

LU's trios title was pretty good.

WCCW 6-man was good due to VE's/Freebirds

ROH 6-man is a tertiary belt, but at least isn't useless.

6 hours ago, chriskbrown50 said:

Given how well the TNT title has turn out to be, I think the TBS title could really be great. The NT title has helped elevate Darby and now hopefully Sammy. Putting the title on either Tay or Anna is easy, but after someone else heel wins. 

Redeemed (pun intended!) Miro as well.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, chriskbrown50 said:

Meanwhile Tony (who I love is back in wrestling and seems to found his smile again in AEW) has gone full dye job and ear rings.  I consider Tony Schiavone's re-emergence into pro wrestling one of the best stories, and AEW has brought him back. 

Absolutely agreed with Tony, and yeah some of the older people are doing whatever they want with their appearances but that's just it, it's not micromanaged by the company or at least doesn't seem to be.

I don't want to dig too hard into WWE because I generally prefer to talk about stuff I like, but with AEW it just all looks more natural and real. From the appearance of the talents to the lighting and sets and all of that, to me one show looks like wrestling and the other show looks like a cartoon. And hey, cartoons are fine if that's what you want ?

Edited by christopher.annino
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Absolutely agreed with Tony, and yeah some of the older people are doing whatever they want with their appearances but that's just it, it's not micromanaged by the company or at least doesn't seem to be.

I don't want to dig too hard into WWE because I generally prefer to talk about stuff I like, but with AEW it just all looks more natural and real. From the appearance of the talents to the lighting and sets and all of that, to me one show looks like wrestling and the other show looks like a cartoon. And hey, cartoons are fine if that's what you want ?

One company seems to treat talent like adults while company treats them like you are lucky to have a job, and we control your every movement or will attempt to. 

Austin Creed has managed to buck the WWE system the best. But the WWE machine tens to suck souls out of many.

AEW seems to let talent play it multiple ways - some have called it a glorified indy as a dig.  The freedom is what talent is attracted to.

In hindsight, COVID may have been the best the thing for AEW. Daly's place was a great setting for wrestling during the pandemic. It allowed AEW to try some things, and well present some great matches. Any one remember Best Friends? Trent's Mom was a meme generating sensation. 

• Like 5

Just make it so that the existing titles can be won by trios and have freebirds apply to some but not all matches. Don't see why that wouldn't work and would save having another set of titles.

Although I do want ladies tag titles sooner rather than later.

• Like 3

On 10/7/2021 at 11:05 AM, The Natural said:

OIP.bNtU9aqhHKq2JKdbc-Il7wHaEK?pid=ImgDe

R.deea6d6c97358a29ccc519d5fbdbc891?rik=r

One year ago.TNT Championship, Dog Collar match. The late, great Mr. Brodie Lee (c) vs. Cody. Sadly this was to be Mr. Brodie Lee's last match. Gave it the full five.

Amanda Huber:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Re: titles I wouldn't mind a Youtube title that only gets defended on Dark and Elevation to give a little structure to those shows.

A women's tag title sounds good in the abstract but I'm not sure it makes sense if they're going to keep on only doing one women's match per show.

• Like 1

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

I feel they have enough belts and could just freebird the tag titles. WWE and boxing have too many, beating midcarders and taxi drivers for a trinket don't impress me much boyitellya.