DVDVR Message Board

AEW - OCT 2021

The Natural

7 hours ago, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

Hos belt? It's a no from me.

I'll never be able to unsee Hos, the more I look at it, the less it looks like tbs. Honestly,  I think it just makes more sense in my mind for the name of your championship to be capitalized. How did no one else see that before putting it on TV? 

• Like 2

Who would be your ideal TBS champion? I'd like it to be either Tay Conti or Anna Jay. They are both in that,  "good enough to be on television every week,  but not world title contender," range and will need some direction once their feud with Baker's lackeys ends.

Baker, Rosa,  Soho, and Statlander all seem a step above this level. They really need to elevate another heel to women's main event level so that they can have another program running concurrently with the world title feud.

Edited by supremebve
Damn phone,  double posing. 
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Who would be your ideal TBS champion?

Abadon needs to be the inaugural champion and then she needs to get beat by Tay, or Anna.  You could also do worse than have Diamante as the first TBS title holder.  First champ need to be a heel in the fine JCP tradition.

It's kinda obvious that they are going to put the belt on Jade Cargill, though.  That booking just writes itself.  Jade has the charisma of a title holder but she is still green as grass and Britt is still mega over.  Jade won't be getting a AEW women's title shot anytime soon so here Jade, here is some gold to put around your waist until you are ready to be a real contender that won't injure the people you're in the ring with.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

If Jamie Hayter wins the tbs title, so both the belts are in the Britt Baker and friends stable... and then Britt loses the World title (to Thunder Rosa?) so Jamie is now theoretically the higher member of the group.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

I'll never be able to unsee Hos, the more I look at it, the less it looks like tbs. Honestly,  I think it just makes more sense in my mind for the name of your championship to be capitalized. How did no one else see that before putting it on TV? 

In fairness, this is the Turner Broadcasting System network logo:

800px-TBS_Network-logo.svg.png

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
35 minutes ago, Gordberg said:

In fairness, this is the Turner Broadcasting System network logo:

800px-TBS_Network-logo.svg.png

BOO THAT LOGO!

I know you guys have had a while to get use to the TNT championship and that it's been fairly successful, but it feels a little wonky to me that these don't have clear definitions of just what they are. I suppose on some level neither does the IC or US title, though.

Open challenge championship TV belts. They can be as important as the world belt depending on the person who holds it. 

I’ll say it… I don’t like the look of the new belt. I think they can do better, and I hope they do. No reason this should not be rectangular like the majority of TBS logos have been. Could’ve went with different side plates as well.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

Who would be your ideal TBS champion? I'd like it to be either Tay Conti or Anna Jay. They are both in that,  "good enough to be on television every week,  but not world title contender," range and will need some direction once their feud with Baker's lackeys ends.

Baker, Rosa,  Soho, and Statlander all seem a step above this level. They really need to elevate another heel to women's main event level so that they can have another program running concurrently with the world title feud.

Anna Jay or Tay Conti as the first TBS Champion. I'd go with Tay Conti. Speaking of both:

Added 20 minutes ago.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Anna Jay or Tay Conti as the first TBS Champion. I'd go with Tay Conti. Speaking of both:

Added 20 minutes ago.

I wouldn't mind if one of them won and it lead to a split and a feud. Tay Conti seems like the more natural heel, but they seem like the two best candidates to me. Whenever the feud ends,  the face should win,  the heel should move up to the main event level, and then Cargill needs to be next in line. 

I'd say put it on Emi Sakura and toss a bunch of young up and coming babyfaces at her leading to an eventual Lulu babyface push, but you might not want heels holding both titles. In that scenario you can have Anna and Tay go after Britt on the idea that they'd counter her seconds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

I know you guys have had a while to get use to the TNT championship and that it's been fairly successful, but it feels a little wonky to me that these don't have clear definitions of just what they are. I suppose on some level neither does the IC or US title, though.

The TNT title has evolved into a random open challenge title where anyone whether they have ever won a match in their life or not can get title shots just by asking.

I would agree absolutely that the IC and US titles have evolved into being of very little worth from their prior histories. The IC title's former identity evolved from "B Show" main event title to "will be a World Champion in a few years" title while the US Title was nominally the Number One contender to the World Title and led to direct title shots before it became more of a belt for belt's sake. Which is really what both of them are now.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I'd say put it on Emi Sakura and toss a bunch of young up and coming babyfaces at her leading to an eventual Lulu babyface push, but you might not want heels holding both titles. In that scenario you can have Anna and Tay go after Britt on the idea that they'd counter her seconds.

I think with Britt they really don't have to worry about that math since she's so very over regardless and people enjoy seeing her win.

You think maybe, just maybe the next title we get down the line is a womens tag title? Trying to even out the division so both sides, men and womens have their world title, undercard title, and tag titles? I'd be more inclined to think the trios title would be next with the plethora of trios/stables they have - but I could also see TK trying to balance both sides out. I just don't know if they have the firepower in the womens division for tag titles yet. Realistically, I thought that would be next (womens tag titles) over a secondary womens title since it seemed like they were trying to put together some more female tag teams, but with this development of a secondary womens title I do wonder what will be next.

I feel like now would've been the time for women's tag titles. The benefits of the TBS belt are it's direction needed for all but the two women involved in the world title picture and it's more attainable for younger wrestlers or those with a flaw or two. Same can be said of the tag division though. It would get more women on screen and in the ring in meaningful matches AND tags help hide weaknesses better too, allowing greener wrestlers to develop at a better pace without being overexposed. So this does feel like the wrong move as its unlikely they introduce another women's title until spring or summer of next year. In an ideal world in two or three years each gender has world, tv, tag, and trios titles. It may seem like a lot but they've done such a great job in putting a lot of value in their tag titles and they've established a large number of three person units. It will also help with TV main events too and when a champion doesn't defend their belt for 3-4 weeks it feels like there's something of consequence going on with another title.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

I don't understand the need for a trios title. Has there ever been a good trios title in mainstream American wrestling? If much prefer something like a young lions type title so guys like Dante Martin can do more than get killed every week.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, supremebve said:

I don't understand the need for a trios title. Has there ever been a good trios title in mainstream American wrestling? If much prefer something like a young lions type title so guys like Dante Martin can do more than get killed every week.

I’d like to see a Trios Championship with Lucha rules i.e. 2 out of 3 falls leaving the ring to the floor counts as a tag etc.

There’s so man Trios already on the roster and AEW is hip on 6 man matches why not create an actual division for it.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Jiji said:

AEW seems to have weekly good-to-great multiperson tag matches. Why not give them more purpose? I don't see how they'd fumble it. This isn't NJPW. 

I think a big reason they wouldn't fumble is they built the groundwork before even thinking about presenting the title. We could all argue a Trios title could've been introduced over a year ago with all the stables they have - but they've really pushed the six man tags (Darby, Eddie, and Mox come to mind - as well as someone like 2.0 and Daniel Garcia) recently. My only concern would be introducing titles too rapidly. I don't want to get into a situation where it feels like the 'E with all these titles that are meaningless. However, I don't think that'll happen since World, Secondary, Tag titles are being split by gender.

No way they'd go for it, but it would be cool if the trios was also an intergender thing as well. I honestly don't know if they'll ever get to the point of being able to have a successful womens trios just because of how hard it is as is to get female tags (although it's becoming more of a thing recently since the industry has adopted it more) - but I also know TK isn't a huge fan of the intergender wrestling so I don't know if we will see that. Would be cool to have some of those couples who are both wrestlers have the chance at winning titles together (Cardona/Green, Kip/Penelope, Bunny/Blade, Swole/Cedric, Baker/Cole, Leva/Avalon, ect.) while also tying everything together. Sounds good in my head, I don't know how they'd implement rules or whatnot (only one female per team, female vs. female and male vs. male only, ect) but it sounded good in my head with some tweaks.

Kenny really tried with intergender but I don't think it'll fly. Janela and Kayla Rossi is another combination. 

Women's trios being "difficult" is purely down to their booking though. That would be the last of the titles to introduce if you're going for equality because they'd have to build up tags first. Not the end of the world if they end up without trios titles though, I just think it would be fun and help with giving direction to depth talent or another goal for top stars not in a singles title picture.

Edited by Jiji

I'm good with no more titles.

I like the addition of an "undercard" women's title to balance things out a bit, but I don't see the need for anything else.  Now, a women's tag title would be fine with me.  Again, to balance things out.

One thing that I always appreciated about 80's-early 90's WWF was that there were few titles, so winning one was very special.  Now, titles are viewed as "everyone gets a turn!"  

I'm a fan of how AEW has handled their titles and their reigns so far.  I don't want to see that change, personally.

If you need something for your wrestlers to do, book them in compelling storylines.  You don't have to have titles for that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1