DVDVR Message Board

October 2021 Wrestling GIFs and Pics

I love the wooden belt but I didn't like WWE taking something Danielson cared about and making it a heel trait.  But he did go along with it, so I just don't even know who to blame here.  In the awesome/annoying TV commercial thread, we were discussing the concept of "selling out" and as much as I like Danielson, the idea of a hardcore environmentalist going along with a far-right septuagenarian portraying him and his sincerely-held beliefs as something evil is definitely up there.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I love the wooden belt but I didn't like WWE taking something Danielson cared about and making it a heel trait.  But he did go along with it, so I just don't even know who to blame here.  In the awesome/annoying TV commercial thread, we were discussing the concept of "selling out" and as much as I like Danielson, the idea of a hardcore environmentalist going along with a far-right septuagenarian portraying him and his sincerely-held beliefs as something evil is definitely up there.

I don't see it as him selling out so much as him using that as an opportunity to get his message across.  In the style of "You're not wrong, but you're just an asshole" he held up a mirror to the crowd pointing out how much the people are killing the planet.  And while it worked at arenas it did get people to pay attention to what he's actually saying.  Heck, he was even offered to speak at a class but he offered to sit in it instead.  Plus you had his shirt which was not only eco-friendly but had proceeds going to a foundation.  If he was just talking generic facts about the planet while being an asshole then there'd be more credence to the selling out deal.  But even in WWE there was a lot of good that came out of that heel run.  I just wish there was a way for him to keep doing that when he became a face but sadly that was dropped.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I don't see it as him selling out so much as him using that as an opportunity to get his message across.  In the style of "You're not wrong, but you're just an asshole" he held up a mirror to the crowd pointing out how much the people are killing the planet.  And while it worked at arenas it did get people to pay attention to what he's actually saying.  Heck, he was even offered to speak at a class but he offered to sit in it instead.  Plus you had his shirt which was not only eco-friendly but had proceeds going to a foundation.  If he was just talking generic facts about the planet while being an asshole then there'd be more credence to the selling out deal.  But even in WWE there was a lot of good that came out of that heel run.  I just wish there was a way for him to keep doing that when he became a face but sadly that was dropped.

Sure, and you're not wrong at all.  But wrestling doesn't do nuance.  Remember how Hassan and Daivari went from being two American-born Muslims angry about their treatment post 9/11 to straight up terrorists.  I think the number of fans who saw Danielson and thought "his message is correct, but he's a prick" were far outnumbered by the one who were just like BOOOOOOO DIRTY HIPPIE!  HOW DARE HE TELL ME TO RECYCLE!

I like the thought exercise of imagining any other "progressive" or "liberal" cause being portrayed as heelish and see how it would look.  Thinking about Keith Lee showing up in his BLM ring gear, giving a speech about how cops should maybe be a little more careful about shooting unarmed black people or choking them out, and then being booked as a heel.  Or Jake Atlas promoting LGBTQ rights and the company booking him a way to be booed.  That shit would be fucked up. 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Sure, and you're not wrong at all.  But wrestling doesn't do nuance.  Remember how Hassan and Daivari went from being two American-born Muslims angry about their treatment post 9/11 to straight up terrorists.  I think the number of fans who saw Danielson and thought "his message is correct, but he's a prick" were far outnumbered by the one who were just like BOOOOOOO DIRTY HIPPIE!  HOW DARE HE TELL ME TO RECYCLE!

I like the thought exercise of imagining any other "progressive" or "liberal" cause being portrayed as heelish and see how it would look.  Thinking about Keith Lee showing up in his BLM ring gear, giving a speech about how cops should maybe be a little more careful about shooting unarmed black people or choking them out, and then being booked as a heel.  Or Jake Atlas promoting LGBTQ rights and the company booking him a way to be booed.  That shit would be fucked up. 

You're probably not going to be happy about Joe Gacy's new NXT character...

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, AxB said:

I love the cameraman asking "Are you guys ok?" and "Ok dude, what's wrong?" as his friends are writhing in pain on the ground. Now, I'm no medical expert, but I can tell they're not ok and one of them is holding his tailbone, so that would tip me off as to what's wrong.

• Like 2

On 10/1/2021 at 4:24 PM, caley said:

I wish there was somebody honest enough and senior enough to write a history of how WCW conceived a big debut named the Yeti and ended up with a guy in a mummy costume doing THAT. Like how many committees or writers or focus groups or whatever did it go through where the Yeti (Presumably at SOME point, a big furry monster-type character) ended up being a bandage-wrapped mummy?! And presumably SOMEONE told him to do the double-bearhug and presumably SOMEONE told him to shake as he applied it because I can't believe these were the actual wrestler's decisions. I would watch an entire documentary about what happened that night.

And just when I think we've seen the most bizarre wrestling clip ever...a new contender emerges. Why did Piper go THERE?! He could have bitten him on the upper outside thigh, or even more on the cheek but he's...right in there.

I think it was Arn Anderson, DDP or maybe even Reis himself told a story about how Reis was nervous about what to do when he did the run-in. No one told him how to act. Should he move fast or slow? So they all ribbed him and told him to go ask Randy Savage what he should do because Savage was one of the senior guys in the locker room. Savage was being his usual high strung neurotic self, pacing back and forth and going over his match when Reis comes up to him and says something like, "ummm, Mr. Savage, I don't really know what I should do. Should I sort of walk slow like a mummy or run down?" Macho stopped, looked at him for a second and with veins popping out of his neck goes, "I don't give a FUUUUCK what you do brother. Get the fuck out of my face, YEAH!!!" and went back to pacing around like a madman.

• Haha 6