DVDVR Message Board

October 2021 Wrestling Discussion

12 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Agreed..i think both Charlotte and Becky are being very protective of their spots to the detriment of the rest of the division but that's not new to wrestling,  WWE needs to figure out how to elevate and sustain Bianca's push while keeping the others in starring roles.  it's absurd that they can't find stories for the women outside of the title scenes. They've been a little bit better recently with that but i can't remember the last time Charlotte or Becky had a story that didn't revolve around the belt. 

Given the company's track record of stupid storylines, being booked in title feuds is at least not like fighting over shampoo commercials or worse, sexist stuff like fighting over who is "dating" who (be they straight or gay). 

Edited by odessasteps

25 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

who knows what Ashley was like before she became Charlotte? (To bring back the Frankenstein’s monster from a couple pages ago)

I would suggest not looking up those stories, some of which were in the news, or at least local news in that area. She has done quite a bit of maturing since then and I'll chalk some of that up to just being young and fucking stupid.

And for what it's worth, I think Charlotte is an incredible talent, and I know people are defending her in here, but to me this seems like a situation where there's smoke there may be fire. At the same time, Charlotte wouldn't be the first and certainly won't be the last person where WWE or Vince drove them fucking crazy. I don't think any of the push she's received or all of the title reigns have made her a "frankenstein's monster" or whatever. That seems a little silly. I probably shouldn't project, but maybe she's finding herself in a shit environment and doesn't like being away from Andrade and she just wants out. Or she's an asshole and if she is, she's only one at the moment. A lot of this stuff seems to have popped up within the last year or so.

Not that my work in corporate America is anything comparable to WWE, but I've known more than a few people who were with the company for years, they then got increasingly shitty or flaky and even unpleasant to be around, they quit or were fired, went to work somewhere else, and they were totally happy and back to their normal selves again. I don't see why people in WWE wouldn't experience that too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Given the company's track record of stupid storylines, being booked in title feuds is at least not like fighting over shampoo commercials or worse, sexist stuff like fighting over who is "dating" who (be they straight or gay). 

True, but they should be able to come up with reasonable feuds that don't involve the title or stupid shit for everyone. Its feels like we get that only every few years. Why no factions? Why no simple who's better rivalries among the women?

Ok, hold up. For the unfamiliar because they stopped watching WWE, what has happened with the women's division? I saw the one thing about there being only 19 minutes of wrestling for that entire women's tournament, which is horseshit. From reading what everyone is saying on here, it sounds like it's back to the bullshit Divas division stuff, like they entirely regressed.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Ok, hold up. For the unfamiliar because they stopped watching WWE, what has happened with the women's division? I saw the one thing about there being only 19 minutes of wrestling for that entire women's tournament, which is horseshit. From reading what everyone is saying on here, it sounds like it's back to the bullshit Divas division stuff, like they entirely regressed.

Its a combo of that and the Charlotte/Becky/Ronda feud where no one not involved in title matches mattered. Its been like that this past month.

Edited by Eivion

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I don't know if "stable wars" is something  about which to look fondly, as least considering who were involved (NOD, DOA, Los Boricuas). 

I wasn't watching during that period. I just think a faction or two among the women would be neat and give them something to work with. Then again they did fail miserably at doing anything with Riott Squad.

4 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I wasn't watching during that period. I just think a faction or two among the women would be neat and give them something to work with. Then again they did fail miserably at doing anything with Riott Squad.

Re: Gang Wars

I can't think of one long feud like Gang Wars that produced like zero good matches. The fact that the careers of The Rock, Mark Henry, and D-Lo weren't immediately destroyed is a testament to them.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

It's admirable how hermetically sealed their drama is. 

The booker/promoter writes shit down in a notebook like he's running an efed in 2003. How much drama can there be? 

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Re: Gang Wars

I can't think of one long feud like Gang Wars that produced like zero good matches. The fact that the careers of The Rock, Mark Henry, and D-Lo weren't immediately destroyed is a testament to them.

So what I'm hearing is that I lucked that started watching regularly after that?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The booker/promoter writes shit down in a notebook like he's running an efed in 2003. How much drama can there be? 

Having been in efeds in 2003, a fucking LOT.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I dunno. Maybe we should open the floor to people who were in efeds in 2003. 

Edit: Photo finish @Raziel

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Entire women's division has a reason to be on edge.

Person at the top makes a fuss about shit booking like we'd all wish they'd make more often.

"Charlotte's selfish." 

It's also possible the rest of the division is content with the booking for them.

Just now, Eivion said:

So what I'm hearing is that I lucked that started watching regularly after that?

That's like my favorite time in wrestling but boy WWF at that point was up and down. You can basically whittle down the best parts of Raw to about 17 minutes and save yourself 73 minutes of utter awfulness. 

Now that I think about it, you can probably do that now and add an hour on the awfulness side.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Not entirely true.  The Queen's Crown tournament was completely bogus because there were 19 minutes total of ring action.  However,  Becky fought Sasha on SD! and that match itself was about 17 minutes.   Then Charlotte fought Bianca on RAW and that match was pretty lengthy. 

it's a situation where they trust the 4 Horsewomen and Bianca (Asuka is hurt) but they don't trust anyone else..  unfortunately the rest of the women have gotten the divas booking. 

4 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Having been in efeds in 2003, a fucking LOT.

Shit, I just participated in them. I wasn't going to run shit. You may have been doing it wrong, lol. That said, if he doesn't like shit, he can real life fire people.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

That's like my favorite time in wrestling but boy WWF at that point was up and down. You can basically whittle down the best parts of Raw to about 17 minutes and save yourself 73 minutes of utter awfulness. 

Now that I think about it, you can probably do that now and add an hour on the awfulness side.

Nah, you can probably double the best to 34. Its just that its leave 146 minutes of mediocre to terrible.

12 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

it's a situation where they trust the 4 Horsewomen and Bianca (Asuka is hurt) but they don't trust anyone else..  unfortunately the rest of the women have gotten the divas booking. 

Well they've got Female Kevin Owens doing spirit fingers.   Alexa, who it appears the rest of the HW don't like for whatever reason, is sidelined.  Once you get past Rhea and Storm...  I don't know how much else you're going to draw out of the current roster.   (Aside from Yim, who can go, but they've done nothing with.)

33 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I don't know if "stable wars" is something  about which to look fondly, as least considering who were involved (NOD, DOA, Los Boricuas). 

The only person who liked that era was Kurt Sutter who I’m fairly sure based Sons of Anarchy on that whole period.

22 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I once won my efeds US title because the other guy didn’t turn in his roleplay in time.  Led to an epic 3 day meltdown on the fed messageboard and numerous AOL chat summits. It eventually led to the promotion splitting in two.  Good times.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2