DVDVR Message Board

October 2021 Wrestling Discussion

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

watching one of the 1984 MSG shows added to the Network today.

Mad Dog Vachon being billed from Algeria is not something I was expecting for this card. At least it's a French-speaking exotic location.

Also, considering that Chucky is a doll possessed by a serial killer, why doesn't Chucky use voodoo to possess a pro wrestler.

Well, aside from the dude(s) in Mexico using Chucky gimmicks.

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

Today I learned that MVP had a stable with Kenny King, Lashley, Samoa Joe, Low Ki, Eric Young, Homicide and Hernandez. This was not knowledge I had before.

Ah, the Beat Down Clan, a forerunner of The (more popular? more successful?) Hurt Business.

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia

1 hour ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Ah, the Beat Down Clan, a forerunner of The (more popular? more successful?) Hurt Business.

I remember Samoa Joe and Low Ki in the BDC near the end, but I don't remember Eric Young, Homicide, or Hernandez in the group.

27 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I remember Samoa Joe and Low Ki in the BDC near the end, but I don't remember Eric Young, Homicide, or Hernandez in the group.

From what I can remember, Young never actually joined, though he did do a run-in once or twice to help MVP after he turned heel and feuded with Roode.

Homicide showed up near the end and helped BDC win a match.  The assumption was that he was joining/had joined BDC.  But, 'Cide got injured almost immediately and angle didn't go anywhere.  'Cide sat out with an injury and got released after BDC broke up.

Hernanadez joined a week before Low-ki quit TNA.  He was gone from the company three weeks later because he was still under contract with Lucha Underground (he apparently told TNA he'd been let out of the contract, or something to that effect).  TNA had already shot several weeks of storylines and segments with Hernandez and BDC but had to scrap it all because of LU.  MVP quit a couple of days after this, leaving Kenny King as the only member of BDC still with the company.  King was taken off TV and eventually went back to Ring of Honor.

Edited by Eoae
  • Thanks 1

On 10/18/2021 at 6:26 AM, Elsalvajeloco said:

I would say Razor was an amalgamation of both Manny and Tony (by virtue to Hall being a whole foot taller than Pacino and playing it more debonair and suave). Steven Bauer actually is Cuban.

Im still giddy that Manny went on to become Don Eladio.

• Like 3

On 10/18/2021 at 5:21 PM, Infinit said:

I posted this in the AEW Oct thread...but I think that this warrants some discussion here as well:

Really, WWE going from FOX to FS1 and keeping half of their audience is more impressive than AEW retaining their 49-year old male demo.  FS1, TBS, and FOX aren't really even comparable networks unlike TNT and USA.  That's why Vince ripped Triple H's heart out cause he got decimated in an even fight.  If AEW really wanted to do something then they should try to get some kind of special on TNT or TBS, head to head against Raw during football season.

A really well done video made up of WWE Champions and their reigns by WWE on BT Sport. I liked how NJPW used to play the video listing the IWGP Heavyweight Champions just before the IWGP Heavyweight Championship match. The history, the names for good and bad.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

A really well done video made up of WWE Champions and their reigns by WWE on BT Sport. I liked how NJPW used to play the video listing the IWGP Heavyweight Champions just before the IWGP Heavyweight Championship match. The history, the names for good and bad.

NOAH do one of those before their title matches too (including for the tag belts & the Jrs) & it's a great touch that just really emphasises the history of the lineage. I love that sort of thing.

Things I don't love? 

The lowest wrestling crowd at the Budokan in the COVID era which almost certainly means the lowest wrestling crowd there ever. NOAH drew twice that when they ran there in February. Stardom also did over 3,300 there in March. NJPW have run their 3 times in the COVID era & crowds have gone from 3,564 for the 2020 Best of Super Juniors/World Tag League Finals to 3,026 for the 49th Anniversary show in March to 2,088 for the 2nd last night of the G1, headlined by an Okada singles match. It's kind of amazing how bad the company has reacted to COVID.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kropotkin's Beard said:

NOAH do one of those before their title matches too (including for the tag belts & the Jrs) & it's a great touch that just really emphasises the history of the lineage. I love that sort of thing.

Things I don't love? 

The lowest wrestling crowd at the Budokan in the COVID era which almost certainly means the lowest wrestling crowd there ever. NOAH drew twice that when they ran there in February. Stardom also did over 3,300 there in March. NJPW have run their 3 times in the COVID era & crowds have gone from 3,564 for the 2020 Best of Super Juniors/World Tag League Finals to 3,026 for the 49th Anniversary show in March to 2,088 for the 2nd last night of the G1, headlined by an Okada singles match. It's kind of amazing how bad the company has reacted to COVID.

I forgot NOAH. Cheers for the reminder. I love that as well.

Yeah, NJPW's not what it was especially 2020-2021 where my interest is at an all time low with the booking, matches going on too long and replacing the IWGP Heavyweight Championship/Intercontinental Championship with the new IWGP World Heavyweight Championship. To me, peak NJPW was 2012-2018. It's telling that Minoru Suzuki, Jay White, Will Ospreay who I'm no fan of and Juice Robinson would rather do matches for NJPW and different companies in the USA than the G1.

Edited by The Natural