DVDVR Message Board

October 2021 Wrestling Discussion

5 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Can they hire shorter people to make their TV ratings look bigger?

C'mon, give them some credit - this was obviously their plan with Adam Cole moving to the main roster, but then he decided to up and go play Ghostbusters & Cowboys with his friends in AEW.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Bron Breaker is the second best raw rookie second generation Wrestler on WWE TV. Charlie Dempsey is better.

MLW released a bunch of people from contracts. Including Mance Warner (who had been trying to get out of his deal for months) and Jordan Oliver.

On 10/28/2021 at 5:40 PM, D.Z said:

So only Tony (the most likely)or Vince could buy the footage. Doubt Impact will.

I thought I heard that Tony originally wanted to buy ROH before he decided to start his own.

ROH seemed like it was the number 2 promotion especially around 2014 to like 2018 with working with New  Japan and all that but  just like WCW being owned by the Network is a gift and a curse. The got Syndication across the country but once they decide they don't need Wrestling  it's over..

My battle for Wrestler of the Year is between Bryan Danielson, Kenny Omega, Roman Reigns, Shingo Takagi and Hiroshi Tanahashi. I'd give it to Bryan Danielson, amazing run he's on in such a short space of time in AEW vs. Omega/Minoru Suzuki/Eddie Kingston to go with his WWE matches versus Reigns. I think Danielson September-December in AEW might seal it for Wrestler of the Year to those whose had a full calendar year.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, The Natural said:

My battle for Wrestler of the Year is between Bryan Danielson, Kenny Omega, Roman Reigns, Shingo Takagi and Hiroshi Tanahashi. I'd give it to Bryan Danielson, amazing run he's on in such a short space of time in AEW vs. Omega/Minoru Suzuki/Eddie Kingston to go with his WWE matches versus Reigns. I think Danielson September-December in AEW might seal it for Wrestler of the Year to those whose had a full calendar year.

Danielson has had a fantastic couple of months since his return to actual wrestling, but because it has only been a couple of months I find it hard to put him in my top 3. I think the last WWE match I saw him in was against Brock Lesnar at a Survivor Series or something? Pretty sure it was the same year that they did Great Balls of Fire.

On another forum about a month I go went through my spreadsheet o'matches & calculated who I'd given the most ratings of ****1/4 or above. So as of September 23rd there were 4 wrestlers with 8 of them: Arisa Nakajima, Nanae Takahashi & Rina Yamashita from (mostly) SEAdLINNNG & Shingo Takagi. And then Kento Miyahara had 7. And the last time I updated my Top 25 matches of the year list (only do it once a month so last time was at the beginning of October) Shingo Takagi had the 1, 2, 3, 13 & 17 matches on that list. That'll have changed when I updated it on Monday or Tuesday but the point remains that for me Shingo has been in the only 2 matches I have given ***** on in 2021, & he is about 50% of why I haven't just completely given up on New Japan until the pandemic in Japan is over. Number 2 is probably Arisa Nakajima who has just had a fantastically consistent year, both tagging with Citrus Wind partner Nanae & then afterwards when they split & she had a phenomenal match with Nanae. I might have Katsuhiko Nakajima at #3, his year has been quietly excellent whether it was some fantastic multiman tags (Kongo vs Shiozaki, Marufuji, Sugiura & Kiyomiya 10/1, 6/9 N1 preview match with Saito, Inaba, Kiyomiya & Nakajima vs Kenoh, Kitamiya, Sugiura & Kotaro Suzuki which was far better than it should've been), his tag team with Masa Kitamiya & then their cage match when they split, the semi-finals & finals of the N1 (especially the Kenoh match in the final) & the match where he wins the GHC HW belt. Assuming the Masato Tanaka match today was as good as it should be he's definitely earned top 3. Although Miyahara deserves it too, his Champion Carnival was fantastic, probably as good a tournament as anyone had in 2021.

It's been a real good year despite everything going on in the world.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kropotkin's Beard said:

Danielson has had a fantastic couple of months since his return to actual wrestling, but because it has only been a couple of months I find it hard to put him in my top 3. I think the last WWE match I saw him in was against Brock Lesnar at a Survivor Series or something? Pretty sure it was the same year that they did Great Balls of Fire.

On another forum about a month I go went through my spreadsheet o'matches & calculated who I'd given the most ratings of ****1/4 or above. So as of September 23rd there were 4 wrestlers with 8 of them: Arisa Nakajima, Nanae Takahashi & Rina Yamashita from (mostly) SEAdLINNNG & Shingo Takagi. And then Kento Miyahara had 7. And the last time I updated my Top 25 matches of the year list (only do it once a month so last time was at the beginning of October) Shingo Takagi had the 1, 2, 3, 13 & 17 matches on that list. That'll have changed when I updated it on Monday or Tuesday but the point remains that for me Shingo has been in the only 2 matches I have given ***** on in 2021, & he is about 50% of why I haven't just completely given up on New Japan until the pandemic in Japan is over. Number 2 is probably Arisa Nakajima who has just had a fantastically consistent year, both tagging with Citrus Wind partner Nanae & then afterwards when they split & she had a phenomenal match with Nanae. I might have Katsuhiko Nakajima at #3, his year has been quietly excellent whether it was some fantastic multiman tags (Kongo vs Shiozaki, Marufuji, Sugiura & Kiyomiya 10/1, 6/9 N1 preview match with Saito, Inaba, Kiyomiya & Nakajima vs Kenoh, Kitamiya, Sugiura & Kotaro Suzuki which was far better than it should've been), his tag team with Masa Kitamiya & then their cage match when they split, the semi-finals & finals of the N1 (especially the Kenoh match in the final) & the match where he wins the GHC HW belt. Assuming the Masato Tanaka match today was as good as it should be he's definitely earned top 3. Although Miyahara deserves it too, his Champion Carnival was fantastic, probably as good a tournament as anyone had in 2021.

It's been a real good year despite everything going on in the world.

I gave ***** to:

Shingo Takagi vs. Jeff Cobb. NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 15: Night 2.

Kota Ibushi vs. Jay White. NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 15: Night 2.

Shingo Takagi vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi. NJPW The New Beginning.

Thunder Rosa vs. Dr. Britt Baker. AEW Dynamite, 17th March.

WALTER vs. Ilja Dragunov. WWE TakeOver XXXVI, 22nd August.

Matt Jackson/Nick Jackson vs. Pentagon/Fenix. AEW All Out. I might knock that down to ****3/4 or ****1/2.

Bryan Danielson vs. Kenny Omega. AEW Dynamite: Grand Slam, 22nd September.

Bryan Danielson vs. Minoru Suzuki. AEW Rampage: The Buy In. 16th October.

Danielson vs. Omega is my current Match of the Year. Runner up: Rosa vs. Baker.

Still to come:

Kenny Omega vs. Adam Hangman Page. AEW Full Gear.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

I gave ***** to:

Shingo Takagi vs. Jeff Cobb. NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 15: Night 2.

Kota Ibushi vs. Jay White. NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 15: Night 2.

Shingo Takagi vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi. NJPW The New Beginning.

Thunder Rosa vs. Dr. Britt Baker. AEW Dynamite, 17th March.

WALTER vs. Ilja Dragunov. WWE TakeOver XXXVI, 22nd August.

Matt Jackson/Nick Jackson vs. Pentagon/Fenix. AEW All Out. I might knock that down to ****3/4 or ****1/2.

Bryan Danielson vs. Kenny Omega. AEW Dynamite: Grand Slam, 22nd September.

Bryan Danielson vs. Minoru Suzuki. AEW Rampage: The Buy In. 16th October.

Danielson vs. Omega is my current Match of the Year. Runner up: Rosa vs. Baker.

Still to come:

Kenny Omega vs. Adam Hangman Page. AEW Full Gear.

Mine were Takagi vs Okada, NJPW Dominion, 7/6
Takagi vs Ishii, NJPW G1 Night 1, 18/9

My top 3 for MOTY so far is Takagi Ishii, Takagi Okada & #3 is Takagi vs Ospreay. Hence why I kind have to go Takagi Wrestler of the Year. Just love watching that dude in big matches.

I did go 5 on Danielson vs Suzuki when I watched it live but I knocked it back to 4.75 on rewatch because I thought I'd gotten a little carried away with how much damn fun that was & I try to keep ***** limited (I don't know why. I guess because I'm a dope, none of this matters to anyone but me). Where as even 4.75 is used way more casually (I've got 19 & they cover the gamut from joshi to death matches to a lucha 5 way to stiff & violent struggles & New Japan style epics & I stand by trying to highlight them all. Nomura vs Sekimoto, Omega vs Danielson, Skywalker vs Ishida, Yamashita vs Suzuki, all ruled).

• Like 2

So many wrestlers have had great stretches of 3-4 months this year but no one has been great ALL year in my opinion.  

Roman, Britt and Kenny have generally been very good all year, in and out of the ring, but it feels like they only really wrestled once a month maximum.  Does a great 3-4 month spell of having 12 great matches equate to a year of 12 good matches?

Then there’s the likes of Moxley, Kingston, Edge, Sasha who have all been very consistent when I’ve seen them. 

I’d argue Bryan’s body of work since joining AEW should be enough to see him top wrestler of the year polls, particularly, given the range of matches, opponents and consistency of match quality. It’s been a real highlight.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ultimo Necro said:

So many wrestlers have had great stretches of 3-4 months this year but no one has been great ALL year in my opinion.  

Roman, Britt and Kenny have generally been very good all year, in and out of the ring, but it feels like they only really wrestled once a month maximum.  Does a great 3-4 month spell of having 12 great matches equate to a year of 12 good matches?

Then there’s the likes of Moxley, Kingston, Edge, Sasha who have all been very consistent when I’ve seen them. 

I’d argue Bryan’s body of work since joining AEW should be enough to see him top wrestler of the year polls, particularly, given the range of matches, opponents and consistency of match quality. It’s been a real highlight.  

That's part of why I have Arisa Nakajima #2, she hasn't really worked all that often, (Cagematch says 25 dates this year) but the only months where she's not had a 4.25* or above for me has been March & September. And it's not like she dropped duds those months either, in March she had a 3.75 & in September she had a 4 & a 3.75. It's honestly a remarkable year.

If you told me before the pandemic that I would become a passionate supporter of Japanese women's wrestling I'd have not believed you, but here we are. Amazing the things you get into when you suddenly find yourself with a lot of free time.

• Like 2

On 10/25/2021 at 1:19 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

And I'm just assuming here, but her longest WWE match was Rumble '19 where she lasted 13 minutes. 

vs. Charlotte at Fastlane 2018 was also 13 minutes. My favorite WWE match of hers, with others being TLC 2019 vs. Natalya (which was close at 12 minutes), and a fun Ronda RAW match that went 11

On 10/26/2021 at 10:15 AM, Eoae said:

And then there are the fans, a fair percentage of whom dislike her and think anything about her is fair game.  Scroll back in this thread a couple pages and you'll see a couple people refer to her as a "Frankenstein monster" and an "emerging drag queen".  Presumably this is in reference to her alleged plastic surgery.  The irony is that, if she actually were a drag queen, people would a lot less comfortable commenting on her appearance.  Anyway, go somewhere and be happy.  I would guess she's made quite a bit from wrestling.

Just to clarify I believe the referred comment said emerging *drama* queen, so no one took it quite that far at least.

On 10/26/2021 at 6:22 PM, alstein said:

Just found out I can see my favorite man and woman wrestler, plus get a friend's Christmas present in a few weeks at Wrestlecade.  Didn't expect one of them to show at all.

which ones?

7 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

vs. Charlotte at Fastlane 2018 was also 13 minutes. My favorite WWE match of hers, with others being TLC 2019 vs. Natalya (which was close at 12 minutes), and a fun Ronda RAW match that went 11

Just to clarify I believe the referred comment said emerging *drama* queen, so no one took it quite that far at least.

which ones?

Jay White/Thunder Rosa, Gail Kim for friend.

• Like 1

We all wish Brodie Lee was still around obviously I but I would've never thought Bray Wyatt would be one of the top free agents in Wrestling, especially this early. Same for Braun but interesting in seeing how Braun does outside of the WWE system. He didn't even spend much time in NXT but I'm sure he did alot of the Coconut loop. He's had some of the best matches of any one that have come out of that system I'd like to see how he does outside the system. 

On 10/29/2021 at 6:30 PM, AxB said:

Bron Breaker is the second best raw rookie second generation Wrestler on WWE TV. Charlie Dempsey is better.

MLW released a bunch of people from contracts. Including Mance Warner (who had been trying to get out of his deal for months) and Jordan Oliver.

Bad time for Mance as he just got hurt.

Oliver is a guy I'd really want to see in BOSJ or in AEW.  I think he's ready for that stage.