DVDVR Message Board

October 2021 Wrestling Discussion

3 hours ago, Swift said:

What are some of the strangest venues/locations wrestling shows have taken place in?

I'll start with this one - https://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=288421

When I was with UIWA, we did a show in the parking lot of a Jewish community center with John Cena in a midcard match. It only drew 8 paid, but it got us actually in the community centers for a few years with MPW and early PWG.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

Just reading an article about the Newcastle United fan who collapsed at the ground the other day, wasn't expecting it to bring closure to the 'what kind of doctor was Tom Prichard' discussion from a while back.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59070356

That’s a fantastic find. Glad the fan in question seems to be ok.

I wonder what the most obscure wrestling namesake there is.  I’m sure there are thousands of Steve Austin’s, but I’d love for there to be a random dude named Zack Ryder or something that hates calling places. 

Closest I ever got was a kid in school whose surname was Skinner.  

I dunno, if Ivelisse gets a free pass for this Dynamite match then yeah, let's go ahead and bring her back. Is that whats being said, she got let go or not brought back strictly because she's a woman? 

Spoiler

Then I suppose Sexy Star also gets a free pass and all for that Rosemary incident? Because she's a woman and the fans are just focused on her gender and not that she tried to break another wrestlers arm?

Last year or whatever year it was when several women came out with stories of Tessa's attitude and racism, i mean these women were in the locker room with her, at various shows with Tessa. 

Do I have it incorrect? The fan outrage with Ivelisse, Sexy Star, and Tessa didn't have a thing to do with being unprofessional?

I'm glad to have missed out on so much wrestling recently then, probably the best time to close that door if we're excusing shitty behavior captured on camera and reported by many eyewitnesses that were backstage. 

Goldberg had plenty of negative feedback after that Saudi show where he fumbled around with Undertaker. I don't remember him getting a pass. Cody and the Bucks definitely don't get a pass for their weekly comings and goings, by the threads I read at least. 

Tldr unprofessional conduct is unprofessional to me, no matter the promotion. No matter the spot on the card. Paint brushing an entire fandom for the online reaction to reported backstage behavior and documented actions on prime time is... definitely one take.

Edited by Hayabusa
Bucks and Cody as examples of politics backstage not getting free pass
  • Like 3

As long as we're all making ourselves pariahs: Yeah, I don't want to see Terry Funk's punches, or anyone's. We talk about flippy stuff being overused to the point that it has not emotional impact, well, punches are the same way. They've been kayfabe illegal forever, when all other strikes got through -- by that logic, they should murder someone when they connect. Yet, the guy taking one barely flinches, and refs don't even seem to admonish the puncher anymore.

Make Punches Dangerous Again: Treat them like ROH Pure title matches do.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ultimo Necro said:

That’s a fantastic find. Glad the fan in question seems to be ok.

I wonder what the most obscure wrestling namesake there is.  I’m sure there are thousands of Steve Austin’s, but I’d love for there to be a random dude named Zack Ryder or something that hates calling places. 

Closest I ever got was a kid in school whose surname was Skinner.  

So I was at college with a guy named Robert Gibson. He was best mates with Rich Moreton. Not even lying.

• Haha 5

Shit, wrong thread.

Remember that Tenryu vs Fujinami match, where Fujinami went to do a Tope out of the ring, but Tenryu just punched him in the face really hard, and Fujinami spent the rest of the match spewing blood from his nose?

That was good.

Edited by AxB
  • Like 3

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

I used to work with someone whose first name was Kane, that's all I got. 

Edited by Jimbo_Tsuruta

1 hour ago, Swift said:

I think the only namesake I've seen was a lawyer named Scott Hall. Not very interesting.

Rutgers University has a building called Scott Hall. 

I also used to work with a guy who named his first-born son Shawn Michael. His name is Shawn Michael Moore.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Haha 4

Oh just remembered the time I met a guy at work named Jim Molyneux and I was for sure certain that I was familiar with him already until hours later I realized the name in my head belonged to the ECW ref and not him.

About 15 years ago my local promotion ran a show in a small club where the local Italian community would get together to eat, drink and play bocce.

The issue was, the bocce night had to be rebooked which meant is was being run the same night as the wrestling.

So the venue owner made the wrestlers set the ring up in the reception area and they did the show with half the crowd standing up.

The other issue was that it was a standard ceiling height so everybody had to use snap versions of all their moves and nothing could be done from the top rope.

Half the roster had to come up with alternative finishers because all they didn't have the room to hit all their dives or springboards.

Edited by L_W_P
  • Haha 1