DVDVR Message Board

October 2021 Wrestling Discussion

I can't say whether AEW learns or not but they did go home early on Kingston vs Archer last week (and Archer was frustrated by it). They definitely didn't go home early on QT vs 10 after QT's eye exploded though.

Edited by Matt D

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
7 minutes ago, alstein said:

Also AEW did something just as bad if not worse with Matt Hardy last year.  It is a systemic problem, but I think it's more an industry issue than just a WWE issue.

I remember that one too. And in that situation, the ref tried to stop it and got overruled.

And people blamed the ref for letting it continue.

Oh, and funny that it was Aubrey Edwards that it was the ref.

Hmm.

I always like to think about whether or not I'm being punitive about shitting on someone because of their gender. 

I don't care that much about Charlotte in the scheme of things, but I do think that a lot of the criticism about her is fair.

On the other hand, she's not, like, Randy Orton or anything, and people seem to be alright with that fuckhead, giving credence to Stef's point.

I think, in conclusion, that the internet should focus on hating Randy Orton more. Fuck that dude.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

Charlotte is like Rock and Cena in that she pretty much went straight to the WWE, had a ton of success, and has done just about everything everyone can accomplish in the business.

which is probably somewhat responsible for the fan backlash, you push anyone that hard (also see Jarrett in TNA, HHH, the never ending NWO in WCW, Hulkamainia in 93) fans get tired of superman eventually 

• Like 1

I wonder how much of it is the super-push and how much is that the fans seemed to prefer, at every step of the way, Sasha, Bayley, and Becky to her. There was an obvious disconnect between the average NXT viewer and average WWE RAW/Smackdown viewer, but that seemed to hold true for both sets of viewers.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

I agree with this. I don't see where saying "Charlotte is an unprofessional goon" solves it, though, because it's ingrained in the system.

Like I mentioned, Kairi should have been removed from the match long before the spot happened. There's a ref in the match who's supposed to check on wrestlers immediately after dangerous looking spots. There are ringside medical staff there that are supposed to have the safety of the wrestlers as their utmost priority.

And what seems to be their priority?

Get up and finish the match.

So is it prudent to blame one person within the system for the system failing, or is it right to blame the system?

Earlier in this thread, @Gordbergsaid he didn't want Charlotte to go to AEW specifically because of this instance. Fair enough, that's his opinion. But had there been a system in place that actually protected the wrestlers instead of leaving it in the hands of wrestlers to protect themselves, or letting wrestlers slap the daylights out of each other when spots go awry, would any of this have happened?

Or is that Charlotte's fault too?

I mentioned earlier in thread that a lot of these posts smelled like misogyny, and people long-jumping to conclusions to blame a woman for systemic problems within the wrestling business are exactly what I'm talking about. And hey, guess what. Whatever happens with Charlotte? Unless those are addressed, this will keep happening.

There is no system so toxic that it excuses Charlotte's behavior during that match. I do not understand the desire to shift blame from her in that instance. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

I had heard of the sleeperhold years before I actually started watching wrestling, and when I heard of the sleeper when I was like 6, it sounded terrifying.

I think the most terrifying thing about it was what if the guy that did the hold was too pissed off to execute the Backslap of Wakefulness? Or a neck massage I guess depending on who was doing it. Would that jobber never wake up?

• Like 1

yeah, it's very Wrestling that only the guy who did the sleeper was able to do the backslap. The ref is useless in that situation.

Which really wouldn't be a shock with how often Gorilla Monsoon would complain about athletic commission assigned referees on various WWF shows.

48 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

yeah, it's very Wrestling that only the guy who did the sleeper was able to do the backslap. The ref is useless in that situation.

Sorta the reverse of  "I brought you into this world and I'll be the one to take you out".

The mentality of continuing on and finishing a match after injury never made sense to me. I think that it would uphold kayfabe by selling any injury and loosing quickly would make wrestling seem more dangerous and real.

On 10/25/2021 at 5:38 PM, just drew said:

I’m just at a loss to think of anything Charlotte could complain about. 

She was apparently tired of doing angles that involved her father. I mean Flair's last angle was him turning on her and getting whats her name pregnant 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

I don't care that much about Charlotte in the scheme of things, but I do think that a lot of the criticism about her is fair.

On the other hand, she's not, like, Randy Orton or anything, and people seem to be alright with that fuckhead, giving credence to Stef's point.

I think, in conclusion, that the internet should focus on hating Randy Orton more. Fuck that dude.

"Yeah this person has treated their co-workers poorly but forget about that what about this person over here?"  isn't much of a defense.. 

Especially here because everyone has taken shots at Orton for years on this board and much of it was deserved. Nobody is 'ok' with things that Orton has done in the past. He has seemed to mature some so maybe that's why the discussions have cooled down. 

I have to laugh at the "Charlotte and Becky are trying to help Bianca get over" reports from these news sites.

Bianca didn't need help. She main evented WrestleMania and captured the title only to have her legs cut out. That's not to say either of them are at fault because who knows what's been said. Did Becky tell management no I don't want to pin Bianca in 26 seconds and then rub it in every week? Probably not.. but creative is incredibly dumb for doing it.

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
8 hours ago, just drew said:

There is no system so toxic that it excuses Charlotte's behavior during that match. I do not understand the desire to shift blame from her in that instance. 

I'm going to say this as politely as I possibly can, in the hopes that you can understand the point that I've been trying to make for lord knows how many posts now.

What Charlotte did during that match was wrong. I believe I said that clearly enough. My point is that men have been having incidents like that during matches for decades, and none of them have ever been hit with the waves of hatred that she has.

Look at what else happened in this thread. Fake tweets were posted as "tweeted and deleted", then when it gets pointed out that they were fake, were any of them retracted? Apologized for? Nope. Because the hell with that woman, am I right? Her push sucks. Surely it's her fault. Let's immediately relish all the things that we think are wrong about her.

Because that's what we do with people we don't like based off their television presentation, right?

And it's that much easier to dislike them if they're women, right? Because this is a misogynistic society, and women are treated worse for daring to speak up for themselves. Shut up and be grateful, you dumb bimbo. Go take more time off for more plastic surgery. Haven't we loved those jokes in this thread too?

This isn't just about Charlotte, by the way. This is about any woman in wrestling that speaks up for themselves, or tries to actually do anything to change the systemic issues within wrestling. Because if I point out that the system is toxic and it doesn't change if you eliminate one component towards it, you think it's shifting blame to protect that one person. Why's that? Is it because you're afraid of the changes that would come of the system actually does change? Or is it because, well, this woman you don't know just sucks that much based off what you see on TV and what you read about her on the internet?

Pro wrestling is full of scumbags, and I can tell you that deciding one of them is bad just because of their push is an absolutely foolhardy way to decide who should be in a scummy business. Making your decision based off an unconsciously misogynistic viewpoint is even more foolhardy.

I've mentioned in the past that this board is often very unwelcoming of outside opinions, especially women's opinions, and this is yet another example of such. I believe I'll be taking another break after I hit "submit reply", because I don't like making these kinds of posts.

Take care, y'all. Please think a little bit more about why you hate people.

No offense intended, @Stefanie the Human but when you toss out misogyny accusations about two separate incidents within maybe two pages of each other, it starts to feel like a "when you're a hammer, everything is a nail" situation.  Are there misogynists in the anti-Charlotte crowd?  Of course there are.  There are also non-misogynists who think the shit she's pulling is wrong.  But coming in and just tossing that term out because criticism against a woman feels that way to you is unfair.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4