DVDVR Message Board

October 2021 Wrestling Discussion

i thought this post:

2 hours ago, Dog said:

Wait, what did Charlotte do to Sane?

was in response to this post:

2 hours ago, zendragon said:

Hell Ashley Fliehr getting out of WWE might do wonders for her mental heatlh

and i spent way too long trying to figure out what you meant by the pun.

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

To be honest, I'd be stunned if she chose to do anything with wrestling after leaving WWE. There isn't really any incentive to go work elsewhere aside from wanting to be in the same company as her partner, and really, she could just go do that without having to work and deal with the social media hate she gets because of how WWE uses her on their shows. And realistically, wherever she signs, she'll end up being brigaded with that same hate.

She'd be better off going off and enjoying life for a few years.

Charlotte is like Rock and Cena in that she pretty much went straight to the WWE, had a ton of success, and has done just about everything everyone can accomplish in the business. I don't get the sense she (and Rock and Cena) is like Danielson and Punk who stick around the business because they genuinely love wrestling and have a list of people/places they'd like to work, so her going elsewhere to try and work some dream opponents isn't as likely. She's 35 so if she wanted to just cash out and possibly start a family with Andrade or do whatever she likes without constantly being in the limelight then more power to her. Coming back in 5 years or so for one last run wouldn't even be out of the question providing she left on relatively good terms.

Edited by HumanChessgame

I'd argue it's everyone's priority in those types of situations.  Also AEW did something just as bad if not worse with Matt Hardy last year.  It is a systemic problem, but I think it's more an industry issue than just a WWE issue.

I honestly don't know with Charlotte, and sometimes a change of scenery can change people as well.  She hasn't done anything to not warrant a chance somewhere else in my eyes though.

I can't say whether AEW learns or not but they did go home early on Kingston vs Archer last week (and Archer was frustrated by it). They definitely didn't go home early on QT vs 10 after QT's eye exploded though.

Edited by Matt D

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
7 minutes ago, alstein said:

Also AEW did something just as bad if not worse with Matt Hardy last year.  It is a systemic problem, but I think it's more an industry issue than just a WWE issue.

I remember that one too. And in that situation, the ref tried to stop it and got overruled.

And people blamed the ref for letting it continue.

Oh, and funny that it was Aubrey Edwards that it was the ref.

Hmm.

I always like to think about whether or not I'm being punitive about shitting on someone because of their gender. 

I don't care that much about Charlotte in the scheme of things, but I do think that a lot of the criticism about her is fair.

On the other hand, she's not, like, Randy Orton or anything, and people seem to be alright with that fuckhead, giving credence to Stef's point.

I think, in conclusion, that the internet should focus on hating Randy Orton more. Fuck that dude.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

Charlotte is like Rock and Cena in that she pretty much went straight to the WWE, had a ton of success, and has done just about everything everyone can accomplish in the business.

which is probably somewhat responsible for the fan backlash, you push anyone that hard (also see Jarrett in TNA, HHH, the never ending NWO in WCW, Hulkamainia in 93) fans get tired of superman eventually 

• Like 1

I wonder how much of it is the super-push and how much is that the fans seemed to prefer, at every step of the way, Sasha, Bayley, and Becky to her. There was an obvious disconnect between the average NXT viewer and average WWE RAW/Smackdown viewer, but that seemed to hold true for both sets of viewers.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

I agree with this. I don't see where saying "Charlotte is an unprofessional goon" solves it, though, because it's ingrained in the system.

Like I mentioned, Kairi should have been removed from the match long before the spot happened. There's a ref in the match who's supposed to check on wrestlers immediately after dangerous looking spots. There are ringside medical staff there that are supposed to have the safety of the wrestlers as their utmost priority.

And what seems to be their priority?

Get up and finish the match.

So is it prudent to blame one person within the system for the system failing, or is it right to blame the system?

Earlier in this thread, @Gordbergsaid he didn't want Charlotte to go to AEW specifically because of this instance. Fair enough, that's his opinion. But had there been a system in place that actually protected the wrestlers instead of leaving it in the hands of wrestlers to protect themselves, or letting wrestlers slap the daylights out of each other when spots go awry, would any of this have happened?

Or is that Charlotte's fault too?

I mentioned earlier in thread that a lot of these posts smelled like misogyny, and people long-jumping to conclusions to blame a woman for systemic problems within the wrestling business are exactly what I'm talking about. And hey, guess what. Whatever happens with Charlotte? Unless those are addressed, this will keep happening.

There is no system so toxic that it excuses Charlotte's behavior during that match. I do not understand the desire to shift blame from her in that instance. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

I had heard of the sleeperhold years before I actually started watching wrestling, and when I heard of the sleeper when I was like 6, it sounded terrifying.

I think the most terrifying thing about it was what if the guy that did the hold was too pissed off to execute the Backslap of Wakefulness? Or a neck massage I guess depending on who was doing it. Would that jobber never wake up?

• Like 1

WWE fired ring announcer Greg Hamilton today.  

Judging by the abuse allegations, he seems like a swell guy. 

yeah, it's very Wrestling that only the guy who did the sleeper was able to do the backslap. The ref is useless in that situation.

Which really wouldn't be a shock with how often Gorilla Monsoon would complain about athletic commission assigned referees on various WWF shows.

48 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

yeah, it's very Wrestling that only the guy who did the sleeper was able to do the backslap. The ref is useless in that situation.

Sorta the reverse of  "I brought you into this world and I'll be the one to take you out".

The mentality of continuing on and finishing a match after injury never made sense to me. I think that it would uphold kayfabe by selling any injury and loosing quickly would make wrestling seem more dangerous and real.