DVDVR Message Board

October 2021 Wrestling Discussion

Orton has showed signs of growth over the years, is a multi-generational talent (in as I know lapsed but curious fans who know no one on the WWE roster but Orton, Rey, Brock, Edge, and Jeff Hardy), and has the meme thing going for him. Way more upside in needle moving than Charlotte. Only upside I see with her is that she could probably get real, hate-filled heat with AEW crowds, but I’m not sure it’s a healthy sort of heat.

• Like 2

FFS, does Big E REALLY have to literally stand with his back to a TV and look over his shoulder at it? Is he making fun of the WWE trope of "guy looks at TV but has to face the camera", or was he told to do it? Either one sounds like a real possibility which is the saddest part. 

• Like 1

Charlotte’s biggest upside for AEW is that TK understands that they can put out great wrestling shows every week, but there will always need to be one segment that’s extremely polarIizing and makes everyone nuts online with hot takes to create engagement. Cody can’t do it every week, he has a young family at home. 

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

To be honest, I'd be stunned if she chose to do anything with wrestling after leaving WWE. There isn't really any incentive to go work elsewhere aside from wanting to be in the same company as her partner, and really, she could just go do that without having to work and deal with the social media hate she gets because of how WWE uses her on their shows. And realistically, wherever she signs, she'll end up being brigaded with that same hate.

She'd be better off going off and enjoying life for a few years.

This afternoon, I rewatched the first wrestling PPV that I saw live on PPV. Halloween Havoc 1997. Hogan vs Piper "Age in the Cage" was just as much of a clusterfuck as ever. I'm pretty confident that the 'fan' who ran into the cage was a plant since they cut to that camera angle just in time. There was a giant-ass cage that neither man should have been randomly climbing since escaping the cage didn't actually mean anything. Randy Savage fucked up his knee doing an axhandle from the top of that cage.

Also, back in 1997, I didn't notice how cold it was in the arena, or how often Jacquelyn/Jacqueline had to adjust her top during the Jackie/Disco match.

Edited by Cobra Commander

10 hours ago, EVA said:

Pivotal point you may be missing in this rather generous read on that hypothetical (and uncorroborated) scenario: If Charlotte drops the belt to Bianca on Monday, then by extension Becky has to drop the belt to her on Friday to even things out, which puts Charlotte over her chief political rival and adds another tick to her countdown to equaling her Dad.  At this point, I don’t know why anyone would assume Charlotte is doing anything to benefit someone other than herself.

This is a much more eloquent way of saying what I was trying to say elsewhere. 

To give Charlotte some benefit of the doubt... this is how her 2021 has gone:

- Her fiance has a falling out with her boss and ends up leaving the company on not great terms.

- She is pulled from the biggest show of the year (where she likely was gonna win the title) because of a false positive on routine bloodwork.

- The story about how her dad may have sexually assaulted a stewardess was featured on a tv series and became big news in the industry she works in.

- All the other 2021 crap all of us are stuck having to deal with on a day to day basis.

Sometimes you just hit a run of bad luck where even if you are nominally successful it feels like everything in your life is suddenly going wrong. Often times when in that situation people aren't... let's say their best selves. Does this excuse their misbehavior? No, but I also think it makes it misplaced to go "well they're a terrible person who no one should ever have to deal with again". If she's been acting that bad recently then yeah she should be disciplined no questions asked, but I think a lot of the talk beyond that is going too far too soon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stefanie the Human said:

To be honest, I'd be stunned if she chose to do anything with wrestling after leaving WWE. There isn't really any incentive to go work elsewhere aside from wanting to be in the same company as her partner, and really, she could just go do that without having to work and deal with the social media hate she gets because of how WWE uses her on their shows. And realistically, wherever she signs, she'll end up being brigaded with that same hate.

On the other side of that though… she could go to AEW and only wrestle once a week, and have 6 days off in between shows unless there’s like a ComicCon panel or she wants to do indie shows (doubtful). So it’s basically the same amount of money, or more, for less dates through the year then what she’s doing right now in WWE. I mean..

6 hours ago, Ace said:

I think Ric's still radioactive after DSotR.

For the time being. Be interesting to see how long the fallout from that lasts.

I wonder what name Charlotte would try to use outside of WWE. I assume they own "Charlotte Flair", I wonder if she would try to use Ashley Flair?

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
7 minutes ago, zendragon said:

I wonder what name Charlotte would try to use outside of WWE. I assume they own "Charlotte Flair", I wonder if she would try to use Ashley Flair?

Greensboro Ineptitude

I am just gonna be over here talking about the WWE's PPV schedule

In case you didn't notice (which I hadn't at first) - almost all the WWE PPVs are now on Saturdays

The Feb and Oct dates are supposed to be Saudi shows hence why they weren't announced yet

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zendragon said:

She applied for a trademark for Ashley Flair back in December 2019, I think.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

In case you didn't notice (which I hadn't at first) - almost all the WWE PPVs are now on Saturdays

How long do you give it before "Saturday's always been our night, they aren't competition" 

Edit: this is assuming there is any counter-scheduling occurring in the future, which seems like an inevitability, even if it isn't this year.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath

53 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

How long do you give it before "Saturday's always been our night, they aren't competition" 

Edit: this is assuming there is any counter-scheduling occurring in the future, which seems like an inevitability, even if it isn't this year.

Well moving to Saturday's has been Nick Khan's vision since pretty much he showed up on the job.

The WWE doesn't care about PPV buys anymore so any lost "buys" there are, theoretically, replaced by actual ticket sales since the thought it folks are more willing to travel for a Saturday event where they can leave on Sunday (somewhat like the philosophy of the Vegas show).

Also - and I am sure I am fucking up the details here - but I think NBC/Peacock indicated a preference to Saturday as there is more of a vacancy in programming on Saturday nights than Sunday. (Not to mention getting them away from the NFL for half the year)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, odessasteps said:

TK Signing Charlotte could also lead to Ric coming in and wanting another match. ?

I feel like Ric coming in as Andrade's manager would have been interesting, but maybe counterproductive for Andrade.  As in, how long is Ric going to play second banana to his not-son-in-law?  Ric coming in as Andrade's mouthpiece/heater, then deciding that the act would be better if he was the star would not be at all surprising.

I think Ric gets into AEW but not for while yet.  Tony Khan will wait for memories of DSotR to fade, and, honestly, DSotR probably isn't watched by enough people to be as influential as some people want it to be.  

I'm not crazy about Andrade wanting to get his "family" into AEW because he hasn't been there that long or proven he can draw money for them. but, on the other hand, I dunno why a promoter would turn down Rush, Dragon Lee, or Charlotte Flair.

12 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Yeah, I'd prefer to see her retire when done with WWE.  That's not me bashing on her.  I think she's great as a performer and mostly think the complaints about her work and push are ridiculous.  But, it also seems like she might have some issues that are probably exacerbated by being in the business and having Ric for a Dad.  I can only imagine the boatload of issues I would have if I had philandering man-child Ric as a Dad.

And then there are the fans, a fair percentage of whom dislike her and think anything about her is fair game.  Scroll back in this thread a couple pages and you'll see a couple people refer to her as a "Frankenstein monster" and an "emerging drag queen".  Presumably this is in reference to her alleged plastic surgery.  The irony is that, if she actually were a drag queen, people would a lot less comfortable commenting on her appearance.  Anyway, go somewhere and be happy.  I would guess she's made quite a bit from wrestling.

On the other hand, her significant other is still active.  And she apparently really enjoys performing for the crowd.  And she got into wrestling because of Reid (In the ESPN 30 for 30 on Ric, she said something about not intending to get into wrestling until Reid died, then feeling compelled to follow through for his.  Living his dream, basically).

Also, Ric's her dad.  Ric seems incapable of giving up the spotlight and stepping out of character,  Could very well be that show biz in in her DNA.

17 hours ago, caley said:

There is a really, loud, unusually loyal following for Liv that I've often thought WWE could tap into but they seem to be oblivious to this fact.

She's not Cesaro, but it feels a bit Cesaro Section-ish. She manages to get across that she enjoys what she does, and she is a lot of fun to watch be ragdolled. With that said, I haven't really understood what her post-Riott Squad look is supposed to tell us about who she is.

29 minutes ago, Iron Moose said:

She's not Cesaro, but it feels a bit Cesaro Section-ish. She manages to get across that she enjoys what she does, and she is a lot of fun to watch be ragdolled. With that said, I haven't really understood what her post-Riott Squad look is supposed to tell us about who she is.

Speaking of, WHERE is Cesaro, btw? I don't recall anything since the Rollins and Reigns matches. Not the shoulder again?

1 minute ago, Shartnado said:

Speaking of, WHERE is Cesaro, btw? I don't recall anything since the Rollins and Reigns matches. Not the shoulder again?

He was involved in the Brock suspension angle on Friday and teased out a potential future match on IG later.   

And Brock trying to outpower Cesaro for 10-12 minutes would be the bee's knees.  

• Like 5

Just now, Dolfan in NYC said:

He was involved in the Brock suspension angle on Friday and teased out a potential future match on IG later.   

And Brock trying to outpower Cesaro for 10-12 minutes would be the bee's knees.  

Good. That's a match that has eluded us for nearly a decade now. It's about time those two would get it on!

• Like 1