DVDVR Message Board

October 2021 Wrestling Discussion

12 minutes ago, Eivion said:

You forgot Emi Sakura, Jamie Hayter, and Ruby Soho

I feel like they got something with Hayter. She has a money look, and she can talk a bit. IMO She is much better than third wheel for Britt and Rebel's act.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I feel like they got something with Hayter. She has a money look, and she can talk a bit. IMO She is much better than third wheel for Britt and Rebel's act.

They're getting her over.

• Like 1

What is actually sad is WWE in a different time would have RUN with this controversy and built to a big angle around it. This is more likely to be either brushed over or ruined on screen. 

I also find it funny that people think that any of these WWE wrestlers have any creative say or control over anything. I mean, pretty clear that outside of Reigns, Lesnar and like Goldberg no one either has the wherewithal or capital to push back on any of the terrible creative or booking ideas. The company would be way better if more of them fought back.  This conflation of Charlotte the character, somewhat over-pushed because Vince likes tall blondes and the somewhat neurotic person behind the character concerned about being passed over or buried constantly is probably a little unfair. I imagine Charlotte has as much say in how she's booked as Akira Tozawa does. 

Edited by Hagan

1 minute ago, DEAN said:

They're getting her over.

I get it. I just think they have enough talent now to get the division jump started. Then by the time you do get someone as potentially another centerpiece, you already have things at a nice boiling point. 

6 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I was surprised when I heard she debuted under under Baker. She is definitely talented enough to be on her own based on what I saw of her in Stardom.

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I don't want to throw the word "misogyny" around, but some of the hyperbole folks have used to blame Charlotte for WWE's decisions with her push sure does border on that.

3 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I was surprised when I heard she debuted under under Baker. She is definitely talented enough to be on her own based on what I saw of her in Stardom.

Maybe they plan on giving her the TBS title and doing the Shawn vs. Diesel/Sid thing you have to do with everyone now.

36 minutes ago, Eivion said:

You forgot Emi Sakura, Jamie Hayter, and Ruby Soho

24 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Can Ruby go long?

23 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I don't think anyone's seen it in years.

Ruby was gassed and moving really slow against the Bunny and botched some stuff against Ford Saturday.  Whatever AEW did to turn Conti around, Soho needs some of that magic.

• Thanks 1

Simon : Gentlemen, I'd like you to meet your captain, Captain Oveur.

Clarence Oveur : Gentlemen, welcome aboard.

Simon : Captain, your navigator, Mr. Unger, and your first officer, Mr. Dunn.

Clarence Oveur : Unger.

Unger : Oveur.

Dunn : Oveur.

Clarence Oveur : Dunn. Gentlemen, let's get to work.

Simon : Unger, didn't you serve under Oveur in the Air Force?

Unger : Not directly. Technically, Dunn was under Oveur and I was under Dunn.

Dunn : Yep.

Simon : So, Dunn, you were under Oveur and over Unger.

Unger : Yep.

Clarence Oveur : That's right. Dunn was over Unger and I was over Dunn.

Unger : So, you see, both Dunn and I were under Oveur, even though I was under Dunn.

Clarence Oveur : Dunn was over Unger, and I was over Dunn.

• Haha 3

I think the biggest issue is the bullshit WWE booking.  With Charlotte, Becky, Sasha, Bianca, Ripley, and Asuka, there is no reason why this shouldn't be the most compelling division in the entire sport, but they are constantly cutting their legs out.  I wouldn't be surprised if any of them got pissed off and threw a tantrum backstage.  They are all put into impossible positions where they can neither reach their full potential nor be put into meaningful feuds.  The Bianca Belair thing was inexcusable.  She was the champion for months was in the best match at Wrestlemania, and looked like the future of the division, and then gets jobbed out like a chump.  There is no reason that they couldn't have made that into Becky's first big feud and made Belair a bigger star even as she's putting over the returning Becky Lynch.  They just don't do things like that, only one person gets to look good at a time, and even they don't get to look good for long.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

44 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Can Ruby go long?

Per Profightdb, her longest matches are (all in Chikara): 

Singles - 17 min 

Normal Tag - 19 min

Six person Tag - 22 min

and she did a 16 person tag that went 72 minutes (!) at Supremacy 2016.

And I'm just assuming here, but her longest WWE match was Rumble '19 where she lasted 13 minutes. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

The Underbaker. 

R?I?P?

I have a hard time believing that any company who could, wouldn't sign Charlotte Flair at the drop of a hat. AEW's biggest deficiency in the face of WWE is their lack of a top-to-bottom television-competent Women's Division, I can't imagine anyone who would need her more. The conversation is "Charlotte Looks Like an Emergent Drama Queen" vs. "She Main Evented A Wrestlemania in the Last Three Years". 

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

All this talk about Charlotte, and alot of other WWE talent who have "bad behaviour"...how much of it is due to the toxic af work environment that they have to exist in on a weekly basis? How much of that goes away when your boss is Tony Khan instead of Vince McMahon?

CM Punk instantly comes to mind.  He admitted many times to being an asshole and after seven years away from WWE he's a much happier person.  So I think there's something to that idea.  But Charlotte definitely wouldn't have seven years and even with a 90-day no-compete who knows if that'll be enough time for her to loosen up.  You would hope it wouldn't take long after her debut but every person is different in that situation.

And to re-think my statement that her in AEW isn't a good fit it's not because I have ill will towards Charlotte.  I think outside of wrestling she's a sweet person and seems to really care about what she does.  But she's also only been in the WWE system and I wonder how she would fare if she didn't jump directly to a big-time company.  It might not be realistic but her in Impact, Stardom or even touring the indies would do her a world of good.

• Like 1

The main problem with Charlotte (and you can blame WWE for this too) is that she's pretty much a one dimension character.  The only role she's good at is dominant female heel champion.  Any other role she's just not good at.  She's just not a sympathetic face.  So if she goes to AEW (or anywhere else), that's most likely the role she's going to play and it's old and tired.  She also can't really use the "WWE held me down" trope most everyone else uses because she never has been held down really.

2 hours ago, Raziel said:

It's almost as if we're tribaling up against a certain wrestler while ignoring another...

Agreed..i think both Charlotte and Becky are being very protective of their spots to the detriment of the rest of the division but that's not new to wrestling,  WWE needs to figure out how to elevate and sustain Bianca's push while keeping the others in starring roles.  it's absurd that they can't find stories for the women outside of the title scenes. They've been a little bit better recently with that but i can't remember the last time Charlotte or Becky had a story that didn't revolve around the belt. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stefanie the Human said:

I don't want to throw the word "misogyny" around, but some of the hyperbole folks have used to blame Charlotte for WWE's decisions with her push sure does border on that.

Agreed. And then there's that Frankenstein's monster comment a couple pages pack that I don't want to touch...

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

Am I the only one who thinks that Charlotte has a legitimate gripe?

You're 100% not. There are scenarios where wrestlers have bucked against similarly stupid booking and been applauded for it. This has just been an excuse for many people to work out their baggage with Charlotte. 

• Like 2