DVDVR Message Board

October 2021 Wrestling Discussion

Strongbow sounds like he was a real hall monitor. I just heard JR tell a story about him trying to get Mr. Hughes fired for nodding off in an airport. Jay told Vince that Hughes was an addict, but it turned out he had narcolepsy. 

On 10/14/2021 at 11:42 PM, The Natural said:

We were talking about Mysterio/Guerrero from WCW Halloween Havoc 1997 at the start of the month. The degree of difficulty was so high and everything was nailed. A ***** match.

I ordered WW3 the following  month, I loved the match they had there too. I was a kid then but I remember watching it back a few times. Most of the PPV was really good outside of the actual WW3 match which was probably the reason I asked my mom to order it. Even Saturn vs Disco was really good 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, (BP) said:

Strongbow sounds like he was a real hall monitor. I just heard JR tell a story about him trying to get Mr. Hughes fired for nodding off in an airport. Jay told Vince that Hughes was an addict, but it turned out he had narcolepsy. 

Almost all the Strongbow stories I've heard is that he was the office stooge.

8 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Man, Razor and FUBU-wearing nWo Scott Hall were dope as fuck, and then you find out IRL he's basically a lame like his Big Scott Hall character with the inexplicable mustache from the AWA. What a total letdown. 

I wasn't watching much WCW by the time Russo came in and I don't remember seeing much of Hall at all when I catch in. I remember Nash with the FUBU. I do remember Hall rocking G-Unit tees during his TNA run. I love the fact that these middle aged white guys were getting in tuned with hip hop just so that they can have something to relate to their kids about. I know Nash probably believes in his heart that he's the most urban White guy to ever walk so he probably believes he was the the most his wrestler in the game lol. He probably was 

7 hours ago, Infinit said:

Almost all the Strongbow stories I've heard is that he was the office stooge.

Nevertheless, we must all pay homage to CJStrongbow for the singular fact that when Roddy Piper was planning to do his Pit with Superfly Jimmy Snuka, Strongbow tried to talk Piper into using an assortment of tropical fruits as a gimmick, and when Piper failed to see the genius of this, out Italian-FirstNation Hero went out to the bodega and got a bag of produce to use and forced it on the Scots-Canadian rulebreaker because he believed in this idea so much. He was right: Piper never paid him back but the event went on to make Television History*.

*See the book "The History of Television, According to thee Reverend Axl Future", as of yet unpublished.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

I remember walking back to UM's campus from The Grove at 3am a couple of times from 98-01. You have to tromp right through Overtown to do that. I thought I was smart and was saving the $15 or whatever on cab fare and that I'd be ok because I'm black but in hindsight that was pretty fucking dumb. That said, I was in college at the time and coming back from bars so if anyone robbed me, the most they'd have gotten was $30, a pair of cargo shorts, an nWo shirt and a pair of New Balances.

I don't know, nWo shirts were pretty rare! You were lucky!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Technically he was posing as an itallian playing a cuban ?

I would say Razor was an amalgamation of both Manny and Tony (by virtue to Hall being a whole foot taller than Pacino and playing it more debonair and suave). Steven Bauer actually is Cuban.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Matt D said:

It's sort of crazy, in 2021 watching guys extend their careers into their 50s if not their 40s, that Austin was done by 40.

I also find it crazy he stayed done. I mean, granted, he was a top guy making top guy money, but it's wrestling. It would shock me if Austin hasn't received at least one call about going to Saudi Arabia (or Jacksonville, for that matter).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I also find it crazy he stayed done. I mean, granted, he was a top guy making top guy money, but it's wrestling. It would shock me if Austin hasn't received at least one call about going to Saudi Arabia (or Jacksonville, for that matter).

There is always going to be exceptions to the rule. Given that he had a litany of injuries over his career and he made a ton of money, it would make sense for him to just to never go back. Plus, I can see him looking at how creative has changed over of the years he was gone and just deciding that's not for him. He had already left once due to creative. In addition, he's probably a guy who doesn't want to have the last memory of him being a shell of his former self in the ring. The longer he stayed away, the less likely he was to ever come back. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

It's sort of crazy, in 2021 watching guys extend their careers into their 50s if not their 40s, that Austin was done by 40.

I'm not sure who I'm more impressed at how good they are at their age between Masato Tanaka, Masaaki Mochizuki, Takashi Sugiura, Yuji Nagata, Minoru Suzuki & Satoshi Kojima. Tanaka is the only one still in his 40s but considering how he's wrestled I would expect him to be in terrible shape.

Obviously New Japan have downcycled Nagata & Kojima, but when they get the call they absolutely can still go. Sugiura is possibly the most impressive, though Mochizuki still looking great in the Dragongate system is also kind of amazing.

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

Heard a lot really good things about this particular Chris Hero shoot on Highspots.  Watched the Molly holly one and that was pretty good too although I feel Hero knew way more about her own career than Molly herself did.  

26 minutes ago, Kropotkin's Beard said:

I'm not sure who I'm more impressed at how good they are at their age between Masato Tanaka, Masaaki Mochizuki, Takashi Sugiura, Yuji Nagata, Minoru Suzuki & Satoshi Kojima. Tanaka is the only one still in his 40s but considering how he's wrestled I would expect him to be in terrible shape.

Obviously New Japan have downcycled Nagata & Kojima, but when they get the call they absolutely can still go. Sugiura is possibly the most impressive, though Mochizuki still looking great in the Dragongate system is also kind of amazing.

It's a personal thing but I'd almost always rather watch a really good wrestler in his 40s than a really good wrestler in his 20s ("really good" in this case being "A wrestler people think is very good" maybe).

Less physically spectacular but generally makes up for that with experience and crowd control and all the tricks of the trade. You can find spectacular physical feats in all sorts of entertainment. Pro wrestling psychology and this sort of manipulation through a live physical simulation only exists in wrestling.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Matt D said:

I also feel like Austin is one of the few people who just decided he didn't want to put up with Vince McMahon's shit. There is clearly a level of respect there,  but even Vince has acknowledged that their working relationship was pretty difficult. Leaving as the ask time great draw and not having to deal with your asshole boss,  seems like a great way to ride off into the sunset. 

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Even his podcast career was done before the main wrestling podcast wave. I’m amazed Onnit.com/Steve haven’t thrown megabucks at him to do another series.

• Like 2

It's not too surprising Austin stopped when he did. His knees were shot by the time he got to WWF and his neck was shot soon after and just got worse and by Mania 18 he basically shouldn't have been near a ring by his own admission, so there's that.

• Like 1

It may be the Austin fan in me, but I had always hoped that with so much time off that he would have been able to let his body recover like HBK's. Even around the time there were rumors of a Punk vs Austin match, Austin was saying at that time that he was in the best shape of his life and had never felt better.

He did say that wrestling is such a drug that it makes you not want to give it up, but after so many years of being away that it had washed out of his system and he no longer felt the pull to go back to it. I can understand that. Plus, he's been successful with his other business/media ventures. So yeah, why kill yourself all over again for Vince when it's abundantly clear that you're not going to get booked like how you should. 

• Like 3