DVDVR Message Board

October 2021 Wrestling Discussion

New York doesn't really care about college sports. I just checked today's NY Post newspaper that I read today. 1/6th of 1 page about college in a 24 page sports section. Saturday might have 2 pages about gambling on college.

8 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

If you believe Ron, Southeastern would get better ratings on TV than Tennessee. Maybe because those 100,000 people were at the game and not watching it ? 

That’s total bs, up until 1984 the NCAA controlled all the tv rights and Tennessee would be on live tv at most twice a year(1 national game and 1 regional game) the only way they’d be getting a national game is if they had a really good team. From 1984 to 1995 they would have been on more but not every game.

I would also call bs if he claimed that Southeastern got higher ratings than the Tennessee football highlight/coaches show that aired Sunday mornings. Every big school had one of those shows, they got monster ratings and usually had a big money sponsor. 

Take all of those “we got bigger ratings than Dallas or Monday Night Football” with a grain of salt, sure wrestling got a big share of the audience during their time slot but less people were watching tv when wrestling was on.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ka-to said:

New York doesn't really care about college sports. I just checked today's NY Post newspaper that I read today. 1/6th of 1 page about college in a 24 page sports section. Saturday might have 2 pages about gambling on college.

That's because unless you're talking about like when St. John's decides to do something in CBB, most New York (talking about the NYC metro area and not NY state) programs suck ass. If you have an inordinate amount of pro teams like NYC or the tri state area compared everyone else except for California, college sports will likely not be a priority. Compare that to the DFW metroplex area where it's heavily slanted toward not only the Cowboys and high school football, but in an earshot of a bunch of (at least) semi competitive Division I football programs. You can literally throw a dart on a map and drive to a major college football game in every direction inside 1-3 hours.

This is a pretty interesting conversation.  My sports viewing habits kind of mirror my wrestling viewing.

Regular season I only really try to watch Florida and Jaguars (yes - I’m a sadist) games live, but I try to catch other matches if I can. I suppose that’s how I am presently with AEW which I’ll always try to watch live and the rest of the league is like the other promotions, where I’ll try to catch something if someone messages me saying “you see this game?” or catch up later if I hear good things.   

The playoffs are like wrestlemania season though, in that I’ll watch mostly everything, whether it’s good for me or not.

With soccer, basketball, hockey and most other sports I’m quite happy to catch clipped highlights, similar to how I first watched a lot of Puro.  

Taking all that into account, I think I watch quite a lot of live televised sport but nowhere near the amount that I potentially could watch.  I’ve got other stuff to do!  

9 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The US has a population of what? Just shy of 350 million people or thereabouts? If you toss out like USC/UCLA or Ohio State, damn every major college program in Division 1 football is in some sleepy ass college town or a place that barely qualifies as a real city (meaning real city compared to your major media markets). The University of Miami ain't even in Miami proper. There are only but so many cities with real sports franchises. Even though clearly people outside those cities support their closest local pro teams (save like the Chargers mind you) or other teams (which would explain the fandom of the Dallas Cowboys and them being the most valuable franchise in sports), up until the last 40 going on 50 years, college sports was bigger than any pro sport in America besides baseball, professional boxing, and horse racing. Why? Middle America was more attached to those traditions, and in some part even with the proliferation of pro sports on TV, still very much attached to those traditions. 

For example, just from living in Northwest Arkansas for the last 5 and 1/2 years, I can tell you the people LOVE the Kansas City Chiefs. But the Chiefs ain't got shit on the Arkansas Razorbacks and the Chiefs only won a Super Bowl not even two years ago.

It's technically in Coral Gables but trust me, it's pretty much in Miami. I went there.

5 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

It's technically in Coral Gables but trust me, it's pretty much in Miami. I went there.

In the sense that's more Miami (meaning culturally) than South Beach, definitely. But it's still not Miami.

33 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Wouldn't someone who, you know, went there know better? Lol

I went to Miami (the actual city). Also what does going to the college have to do with the city not being Miami? Like the university is actually in Coral Gables. Unless they physically moved the campus, it's in Coral Gables.

24 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I went to Miami (the actual city). Also what does going to the college have to do with the city not being Miami? Like the university is actually in Coral Gables. Unless they physically moved the campus, it's in Coral Gables.

I've been to Miami a few times myself, and I've alway thought of Cora Gables as a suburb of the city of Miami.

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

I've been to Miami a few times myself, and I've alway thought of Cora Gables as a suburb of the city of Miami.

Cause it is almost a suburb of Miami*. However, that still doesn't make it Miami much like being from one of the outlying suburbs of Chicago doesn't make you from Chicago. Granted with Chicago, you have suburbs that are like an hour away which is crazy. 

*I'm in no way disputing Coral Gables is very close to Miami. Also, I would agree going to the U would put you closer to Miami than say...going to a school in Broward County which some people (mostly people from outside the state) consider Miami. However, the post referenced earlier when I was talking about the different schools and their locations is talking literal location and not "well it's just a hop, skip, and jump" away from *insert city*". 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Many Cubans are white latinos, so it's only slightly less racist this way!

It's amazing that if you go back and watch the vignettes for El Matador, they're actually well done and extremely respectful to Mexican culture. Then a year later, it's like "fuck it, let's just go full brownface." 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I consider anything north of Homestead with a 305 area code to be Miami but that's just me.

Side note, I still have my 305 number for my cell phone and I get spam calls all day every day from Miami, Ft. Lauderdale and Orlando. I used to get calls from the hospital there. I guess the person who previously had my cell phone never updated their profile or whatever with the hospital and I would randomly get calls from them telling me that Mrs. Garcia's medicine was ready. 

• Like 2

Man, Razor and FUBU-wearing nWo Scott Hall were dope as fuck, and then you find out IRL he's basically a lame like his Big Scott Hall character with the inexplicable mustache from the AWA. What a total letdown. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

LiCQzkr.jpg

Other than going to the Pork & Beans or Overtown, going to Opa Locka is the most ballsy move one man can make and not be from around there. Especially looking like you got back from your Miami Vice audition.

That said, I bet Scott gave someone at least $100 just to take that picture.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Other than going to the Pork & Beans or Overtown, going to Opa Locka is the most ballsy move one man can make and not be from around there. Especially looking like you got back from your Miami Vice audition.

That said, I bet Scott gave someone at least $100 just to take that picture.

I remember walking back to UM's campus from The Grove at 3am a couple of times from 98-01. You have to tromp right through Overtown to do that. I thought I was smart and was saving the $15 or whatever on cab fare and that I'd be ok because I'm black but in hindsight that was pretty fucking dumb. That said, I was in college at the time and coming back from bars so if anyone robbed me, the most they'd have gotten was $30, a pair of cargo shorts, an nWo shirt and a pair of New Balances.

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, nate said:

In his book, Bret says he used to draw Chief Jay Strongbow in the middle of orgies so that's likely the agent he's referring to. Strongbow was apparently pretty straight laced so Bret thought it'd be funny to make him the focal point of the drawings.

He also said that when Bundy decided to leave, Bret drew a picture of him (Bundy) puking up a bunch of dicks as a going away present. Bundy took the picture and captioned each dick with Bret's brothers' names.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1