DVDVR Message Board

October 2021 Wrestling Discussion

On 10/7/2021 at 2:18 PM, For Great Justice said:

Oh man the Nash/Goldberg “that wasn’t in the script” bit from right around this same time was the absolute worst shit I’ve ever seen. 

The best trainwreck of a match I've seen is the Nash/Steiner/Goldberg match from New Blood Rising 2000. You got the announcers talking about Goldberg having some kind of motorcycle accident and not being there. Then they talk about him being difficult to deal with. Goldberg running in and "refusing" to take the powerbomb and giving Russo the finger on the way out. Then you had Schiavone and Mark Madden talking about how Steiner and Nash had to improvise because the powerbomb was part of the "design". Then they put over Midajah for taking a powerbomb and talk about how professional Steiner was for "going up for the powerbomb." And don't forget that they did all of this after the Judy Bagwell on a Pole match, a miscarriage angle with Stacy Kiebler and Major Guns and a match where Mike Awesome pinned or submitted Lance Storm roughly 195 times but lost to Canadian Rules and Bret Hart came out after the match to endorse Storm.

If someone was a new fan, they'd think all of that was just something I made up to be funny but nope, it was on a ppv that they charged people $30 for.

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

The best trainwreck of a match I've seen is the Nash/Steiner/Goldberg match from New Blood Rising 2000. You got the announcers talking about Goldberg having some kind of motorcycle accident and not being there. Then they talk about him being difficult to deal with. Goldberg running in and "refusing" to take the powerbomb and giving Russo the finger on the way out. Then you had Schiavone and Mark Madden talking about how Steiner and Nash had to improvise because the powerbomb was part of the "design". Then they put over Midajah for taking a powerbomb and talk about how professional Steiner was for "going up for the powerbomb." And don't forget that they did all of this after the Judy Bagwell on a Pole match, a miscarriage angle with Stacy Kiebler and Major Guns and a match where Mike Awesome pinned or submitted Lance Storm roughly 195 times but lost to Canadian Rules and Bret Hart came out after the match to endorse Storm.

If someone was a new fan, they'd think all of that was just something I made up to be funny but nope, it was on a ppv that they charged people $30 for.

Yes! That’s the one! That’s the summit of Vince Russo Bullshit. It’s incredible.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

The only live WCW event I ever went to was the Nitro a week after this where we got Tank Abbott/Vampiro and Scott Steiner assaulting Goldberg's girlfriend.  That was grim.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Zimbra said:

The only live WCW event I ever went to was the Nitro a week after this where we got Tank Abbott/Vampiro and Scott Steiner assaulting Goldberg's girlfriend.  That was grim.

From 1986-1992, I used to go to NWA/WCW events that had Dusty Rhodes vs. Tully Blanchard I Quit Matches, Flair vs. Windham title matches, Cactus Jack vs. Abdullah the Butcher street fights and Rock & Roll Express vs. Midnight Express matches. The last WCW event I went to had a Hogan/Flair Yapipipipipi Strap Match, Brian Knobbs fighting 3 Count and the best things were Terry Funk bringing a chicken to the ring and saying it was Dustin Rhodes' little brother and Sid cutting a promo on Jeff Jarrett where he said, "Jeff Jarrett thinks he's the Master and Ruler of the World, but I'm the Master and the Ruler of the World and there can only be one Master because you can't be the Master of the Master." How times changed.

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Zimbra said:

You're lucky, I got the night after the above PPV which began with a lengthy Vince Russo promo where he repeatedly "shot" and talked about "your hero Goldberg" and my friend and I (Who watched literally all the WCW that was on TV) went "Wait, are we supposed to like Goldberg again" and ended with Goldberg putting Midajah through a table backstage on the screen (which we couldn't even see from where we were seated!).

8 hours ago, caley said:

You're lucky, I got the night after the above PPV which began with a lengthy Vince Russo promo where he repeatedly "shot" and talked about "your hero Goldberg" and my friend and I (Who watched literally all the WCW that was on TV) went "Wait, are we supposed to like Goldberg again" and ended with Goldberg putting Midajah through a table backstage on the screen (which we couldn't even see from where we were seated!).

Was that the one where Russo was legit trying to get Goldberg to breach his contract? And he brought Tank Abbott with him for back-up?

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

I always wondered if Sid was the Master and Commander of the far side of the world, but now I know for sure that he is.

He clearly states that he's the Master and that no one can be the Master of the Master. That logic is pretty irrefutable if you ask me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

He clearly states that he's the Master and that no one can be the Master of the Master. That logic is pretty irrefutable if you ask me.

Sid is the Master of the house, doling out the charm
Ready with a handshake and an open palm

Master of the house, keeper of the zoo
Ready to relieve 'em of a sou or two

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Sid is the Master of the house, doling out the charm
Ready with a handshake and an open palm

Master of the house, keeper of the zoo
Ready to relieve 'em of a sou or two

Showtune Sid.

almost sounds like a plausible Vince "big man dancing = funny" repackaging

• Like 2

11 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Was that the one where Russo was legit trying to get Goldberg to breach his contract? And he brought Tank Abbott with him for back-up?

That's the one.

In one night I got to see Rey Mysterio Jr, Juventud Guerrera, Lance Storm, The Great Muta, Mike Awesome, Booker T, Norman Smiley, PCO, Sting & Vampiro and I literally can't remember a single moment of in-ring action because the show was such a mess.

One thing that also stands out for me was a Thunder when Ric Flair came out while Russo was standing in the ring and cut a promo about his accomplishments and the accomplishments of Sting, Lex Luger etc. It was great, and it ended with Flair saying that if he were to win the match at the next Pay-Per-View (I believe it was Slamboree), he'd get five minutes alone with Russo. All in all, great promo.

And then Russo ruined it by saying, 'This is the part of the show where I act like a chickenshit heel.'

Fuck you, Russo. Just... God dammit, now I'm sad again.

I have no idea if this was discussed elsewhere, but I watched that interactive Undertaker/New Day Halloween thing on Netflix (shocker: it was kinda corny) and apparently during filming Undertaker decided to shave his head as in some scenes he is very bald while in others he had rather long hair. There is no explanation and the show even has him do his dramatic hat removal thing multiple times which makes it impossible to ignore.

• Haha 3

So rewatching Hunt For Red October (it's that time of year) and Sean Connory and Sam Neill got me thinking; What's the best/worst fake accent in wrestling?

Guys like Kofi and Santino were asked to put on accents for their gimmicks and, for the most part, they were believable.

For those of you that were fans in the 70s and 80s though, are there any memorable standouts for guys with bad accents?

I'd have to imagine with all the "anti American foreigner" gimmicks that would have been going around that someone, somewhere, was totally terrible while also being just good enough to keep a gimmick going.

What is wrestling's "Keanu Reeves in Dracula" accent?

Edited by L_W_P

2 hours ago, L_W_P said:

So rewatching Hunt For Red October (it's that time of year) and Sean Connory and Sam Neill got me thinking; What's the best/worst fake accent in wrestling?

Guys like Kofi and Santino were asked to put on accents for their gimmicks and, for the most part, they were believable.

For those of you that were fans in the 70s and 80s though, are there any memorable standouts for guys with bad accents?

I'd have to imagine with all the "anti American foreigner" gimmicks that would have been going around that someone, somewhere, was totally terrible while also being just good enough to keep a gimmick going.

It's not exactly an answer to your question, but I always got a hug kick out of Krusher Kruschev not even trying to fake a Russian accent. I used to be able to get a laugh by explaining that it was because he's from Soviet Georgia. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, L_W_P said:

I'd have argued that Santino's Italian accent was atrocious personally. For another recent one, Lana's Russian accent was far from convincing.