DVDVR Message Board

October 2021 Wrestling Discussion

5 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

No, no blockbots. Sometimes I'll wade into the responses to a tweet about, say, police brutality or something supporting JK Rowling, and I'll find a nice batch of racists, white nationalists, or TERFs to block. No interaction by me required. Just report/block/move on, no engagement by me with the account ever takes place. It's my lunchtime hobby on days where I'm already in a sour mood and feel like playing a little whack-a-bigot.

I suddenly want to use the phrase “wack a bigot” more in my daily life.

• Like 5

Well, one of the things that came out about the Twitch hack (CHANGE YOUR PW and enable 2FA folks), is how much money WWE was trying to take off the table by controlling folks streaming.

(Note: This is solely from subscriptions and bits, and does not include donations (which can be the majority of a lot of folks income)

https://www.sescoops.com/2021/10/twitch-leak-includes-payouts-for-adam-cole-paige-zelina-vega/

• Paige (@SarayaOfficial) – $478,224
  • Zelina Vega (@theatrinidad) – $341,748
  • Adam Cole (@TheCHUGS) – $318,080
  • Impact Wrestling (@impactwrestling) – $69,140
  • Tyler Breeze (@thesweetzlive) – $43,755
  • Evil Uno (@eviluno) – $35,742
  • Colt Cabana (@coltcabana) – $32,479
  • Xavier Woods (@AustinCreed) – $25,431

Note: this is 2019-2021

Edited by SirFozzie

9 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Vince: Adam how would you like if you were on the main roster, and a millionaire?

Adam Cole: Hahaha… Well actually…

No wonder Cole doesn’t have time to put on muscle.

Apparently, the twitch streaming was non-negotiable per that link. Not sure if it was from Adam's side or WWE's side.

I think I might have mentioned on here before, but my parents recently dropped off all of my old LJN WWF figures for my son (4).  He's been playing with them non-stop.  Recently, he's also been heavily into He Man, both the old series and the newer Netflix ones.  I found the new retro He Man and Skeletor figures at Target and bought them for him.  So now, we've had He Man vs. Macho Man and He Man vs. Andre among other matchups.  Watching Dynamite last night, he asked about AEW figures.  I told him they make them.  He wants to get Moxley and Omega so he can do He Man/Moxley vs. Skeletor/Omega.  Beat that, TK!

Oh, on more of a downer note, this morning he was going through some of the WWF guys and saying how he'd like to see them wrestle live. I had to tell him that most of the guys he was picking out were not only not wrestling anymore, but they were dead. Sigh. 

• Like 8

I watched the Sid Vicious/Scott Hall/Jeff Jarrett match from SuperBrawl 2000 other day. The ending had Jarrett hitting Hall with his guitar, then Sid Chokeslamming Jarrett, and then Sid Powerbombing Hall and pinning him. When Sid Powerbombed Hall, Hall's face was a grimace of pure agony. You could tell something was up.

I looked it up and apparently he later said that he felt something was wrong when he got hit with the guitar. Then he told Sid to 'go easy' with the Powerbomb (which I think you can kinda hear), but Sid didn't listen to him or perhaps didn't hear it. After the show ended, Hall was still lying down in the ring for twenty minutes before he was stretchered off. That was also his last WCW appearance (February 2000). His next appearance was in ECW in November.

No real reason to share this tidbit, I suppose. It's just that his face when he got Powerbombed got an immediate, 'Oh, shit. Something's wrong,' reaction out of me.

On a related note, I've been reading the detailled reports of WCW shows from 2000 and 2001, and just reading all of that is exhausting and infuriating. I can't imagine what it was like to actually watch those shows in real time. Those reports were written back when the shows aired as well, so the reviewers saying things like, 'I liked this show! Things are looking up for WCW again!' feels pretty weird.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Roman said:

I've been reading the detailled reports of WCW shows from 2000 and 2001, and just reading all of that is exhausting and infuriating. I can't imagine what it was like to actually watch those shows in real time. Those reports were written back when the shows aired as well, so the reviewers saying things like, 'I liked this show! Things are looking up for WCW again!' feels pretty weird.

i half watched WCW at the time, but had mostly moved onto WWF. When i relived those shows a couple years back, 2000s WCW is DIRE. It starts to pick up around September, when Booker T wins the title, and gets pretty good in 2001. There's still plenty of schlock, but the energy around the promotion definitely shifts around that time. 

That being said, i definitely don't recommend going back to watch it. 

8 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i half watched WCW at the time, but had mostly moved onto WWF. When i relived those shows a couple years back, 2000s WCW is DIRE. It starts to pick up around September, when Booker T wins the title, and gets pretty good in 2001. There's still plenty of schlock, but the energy around the promotion definitely shifts around that time. 

That being said, i definitely don't recommend going back to watch it. 

Yeah, after The Radicals left, it kind of felt like they were doomed.  None of those guys were huge stars at the time,  but they were all guys the fans respected. Once Benoit said,  "fuck your title," they were dead in the water. I don't know what they could have done to get the fans back,  but I do know nothing they did was anywhere close. 

I wonder what would have happened if Benoit had stayed. The title match with Sid had the foundation of overturning the decision: at some point, Sid Chokeslams Benoit and goes for the cover. Arn Anderson (the referee) breaks it up because Benoit's foot is underneath the ropes. Later when Benoit has Sid in the Crossface, Sid has his foot underneath the ropes, but Arn doesn't see it and Sid taps. The next night on Nitro, Arn confesses he didn't see it and that he messed up. So to cynical old me, it sounds like they desperately tried to keep Benoit with the company by promising him the title, only for them to screw him over after he signed the new contract or whatever.

After Benoit and the others left, there was little fresh talent to be excited for. Plus Goldberg just got injured after he cut himself open by smashing a car window and Hart had to retire... And, on top of that, you got the usual creative control clause issues that didn't exactly help with the process of building new stars. Scott Steiner would go on to be a solid heel, but he wasn't exactly young anymore. Booker T was great (although he still had to wade through the raw sewage of Misfits in Action and losing the 'T' of his name to Ahmed Johnson). Vampiro had potential and had a good gimmick until they tried to turn him into a stupid Undertaker-esque horror character. Billy Kidman could have been a pretty good 'small babyface who fights against the odds', but that went out of the window with the New Blood.

But, on a brighter note, we got this: 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Log said:

I think I might have mentioned on here before, but my parents recently dropped off all of my old LJN WWF figures for my son (4).  He's been playing with them non-stop.  Recently, he's also been heavily into He Man, both the old series and the newer Netflix ones.  I found the new retro He Man and Skeletor figures at Target and bought them for him.  So now, we've had He Man vs. Macho Man and He Man vs. Andre among other matchups.  Watching Dynamite last night, he asked about AEW figures.  I told him they make them.  He wants to get Moxley and Omega so he can do He Man/Moxley vs. Skeletor/Omega.  Beat that, TK!

Oh, on more of a downer note, this morning he was going through some of the WWF guys and saying how he'd like to see them wrestle live. I had to tell him that most of the guys he was picking out were not only not wrestling anymore, but they were dead. Sigh. 

Main Events in any arena in the world.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Roman said:

The title match with Sid had the foundation of overturning the decision: at some point, Sid Chokeslams Benoit and goes for the cover. Arn Anderson (the referee) breaks it up because Benoit's foot is underneath the ropes. Later when Benoit has Sid in the Crossface, Sid has his foot underneath the ropes, but Arn doesn't see it and Sid taps. The next night on Nitro, Arn confesses he didn't see it and that he messed up. So to cynical old me, it sounds like they desperately tried to keep Benoit with the company by promising him the title, only for them to screw him over after he signed the new contract or whatever.

RUMBLINGZ~! at the time were exactly the opposite. Benoit told them that he was leaving, WCW put the belt on him to try to convince him to stay. He said he was leaving anyway, so they put the 'under the ropes' thing in to protect themselves when Benoit did exactly what he said he was going to do. who knows the truth. and i don't mean Neidhart.

I was an avid WCW viewer at the time, right through to April 2000.  I distinctly remember the weird recap episode they had with Tony and Mark Madden around that time, (before the ‘reset’).  Just them sitting in an empty arena. It was super weird.  That’s burned in my mind as my departure point for Nitro.  

I had my last summer before college beginning around then and never went back to watching Nitro regularly, I would catch Raw 99% of the time from then on.  I would read the 1wrestling Nitro write ups to see if there was anything worth trying to catch and think “yep, still sounds god awful’.

As bad as RAW has been over the last couple of years it doesn’t come close to those Nitros in 2000-01.

The last time I saw that late Nitro stuff, a lot of it was still mediocre, but it felt like a wrestling show again and not whatever it was while Vince Russo was in charge. They also pushed guys who I thought of as WCW guys, which helped. Booker/Steiner/Page on top the last few months was alright. Not all of it connected, but there were gems. Chavo being a surly shithead heel that Helms had to chase for the Cruiserweight belt was really fun, for example. 

But for every angle or match with those two as the focus, you'd have to watch a Shawn Stasiak angle or match, so it evened out, I guess.

Scott Steiner was also a legitimately awesome lead heel, and that's pretty much common knowledge even though people had fled WCW by that time, which I think is meaningful. 

I watched the Christmas 1989 Prime Time Wrestling episode last night because just because.. and I imagined kids who, in lieu of an extra Christmas present or two, ended up getting to watch "No Holds Barred: The Match/The Movie" for Christmas that year.

Also, Roddy Piper with an amazing psycho performance standing up for Santa Claus vs Bobby Heenan because on WWF TV, Santa Claus is real.

I'm sure there's a variety of complications but I wonder if the WWE could get Peacock to stream No Holds Barred. There are worse movies that are streaming and Hogan is in the good graces right now.

When it comes to the Hogan Cinematic Universe:

Rocky III > Suburban Commando > Mr. Nanny > No Holds Barred

I should note that this is shameful because if your movie has Tiny Lister, it should be much better than NHB ends up being.

Also, I know he did other movies, but I'm not ever watching Santa With Muscles, so rank at your own risk/desire.

• Like 1