DVDVR Message Board

October 2021 Wrestling Discussion

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
On 10/4/2021 at 3:17 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

You're right. I shouldn't. Thinking about it now...70 is a really low number. I can do much better than that. I'm really lowballing myself.

This encouraged me to check and see how many people I have blocked/muted on Twitter, and come to find I'm over 20,000 accounts.

This would explain why I never seem to have the issues some of y'all have with social media. If I see somebody say something irredeemable, into the block pile they go.

Sure, someone could be all "but why would you want to block out the opinions of others, you're building an echo chamber, blah blah blah", to which I say I only block people for being bigoted or vile, and yet my number is that high.

Also, I don't owe bigots my attention.

3 hours ago, (BP) said:

It’s really something that the biggest competition Vince has had in twenty years is from the minds of NFL team owners after he ate shit twice trying to get into football. 

i know this isn't what you were saying, but the thought of the NFL team owners getting together, 1948 NWA style, talking about how they needed to really teach Vince a lesson makes me smile.

Shahid Khan: "you know, my son has been fantasy booking pro wrestling for years..."

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i know this isn't what you were saying, but the thought of the NFL team owners getting together, 1948 NWA style, talking about how they needed to really teach Vince a lesson makes me smile.

Shahid Khan: "you know, my son has been fantasy booking pro wrestling for years..."

“Fine Shah, your kid can run point on this, we just have to see how he books Firepro first.” 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

With Al Davis probably sticking up for Vince.

I'm not sure about this one. I think we all remember old All David,  who was kind of a completely different person than young Al Davis. With that said,  Vince wishes he was Al Davis. Look up how Al Davis got ownership of the Raiders and tell me Vince could have pulled that off. Vince bought out a bunch of carnys, Al ganked an NFL team while the majority owner was on vacation. 

4 hours ago, Roman said:

'STEIN KALT! STEIN KALT! STEIN KALT!' in a thick Bavarian accent.

That would be "Stoa Koid", which does not sound very threating.

My money is on Lederhosen and Gamsbart. Maybe he could try to grow a beard and work a "Taliban from the Alps" gimmick.

Al Davis' bowlcut son probably had a long run of wrestling fandom. But Al Davis has to be one of the more sports entertainmenty people that never did any wrestling cameos. And this is an industry that got Steinbrenner on TV at various times and Mid-South probably got Barry Switzer on. I'm sure Al Davis could have cut a stellar promo about how he was sending Lyle Alzado into the territory to crush Billy Jack Haynes.

If Vince really wanted to ineffectually go at AEW what would he do first.. (1) bring in some comedy veteran to manage jobbers as a parody of Urban Meyer (now is probably not a good time to bring in broke-ass Robert Fuller now unless you want non-605 listeners to hear about Ron Fuller)? (2) bill all the local enhancement guys as being from "Jacksonville", or (3) run newspaper ads addressed to Flex-N-Gate investors in the spirit of the "Caution Investors, Ted Turner is wasting your money on his pro wrestling company" ads?

On 10/3/2021 at 8:15 AM, twiztor said:

was thinking about this the other day:

Juventud Guerrera is the only wrestler to have televised matches for WWE, WCW, ECW, TNA/Impact, and AEW.  when you add both AAA and CMLL to the list, that dude's been all over!  Anybody i'm missing?

Christopher Daniels also fits the bill

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Berlyn

looking at the uspto (trademark office) search and... did they at the time ever mention how much of the Berlyn spelling was just trying to be unique and how much was due to the band Berlin? although the entries on the uspto website for the band were filed after 1999. There was already precedent for wrestlers getting names trademarked before musicians, so..

19 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Somehow this is going to circle all the way back to John Heidenreich as an unfrozen Nazi managed by Paul Heyman.

Say what you will about the tenets of National Sociailsm at least its an ideology...Now Malakia Black he's just a nihilist 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

This encouraged me to check and see how many people I have blocked/muted on Twitter, and come to find I'm over 20,000 accounts.

This would explain why I never seem to have the issues some of y'all have with social media. If I see somebody say something irredeemable, into the block pile they go.

Sure, someone could be all "but why would you want to block out the opinions of others, you're building an echo chamber, blah blah blah", to which I say I only block people for being bigoted or vile, and yet my number is that high.

Also, I don't owe bigots my attention.

Are you using one of those blockbots? 

I can't imagine interacting with 20000 folks, let alone blocking.  I think I have about 50 blocks on mine, most of which were random hateful bigots I ended up reporting.  Then again, Twitter for me is like 100 folks I follow, none of it wrestling related, largely friends/folks I met through another hobby.

Going Kojima on folks works too.

Fully agree with not tolerating bigots.  I have it horrible with my mom who constantly tries to call me closeminded for not accepting or tolerating her views (she's gone down the wrong path, and it's too late for her to learn her left and right hand turn signals)  I have to keep just about everything about myself secret from her, which is awful.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hey while the more liberal people on this board are currently paying attention, I'm listening to news and politics podcast The Daily Zeitgeist at the moment and the guest today is comedian Joey Clift who is talking NJPW during the opening segment where they get to know their guests. So check that out if you are so inclined.

Edited by christopher.annino
  • Like 4

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
43 minutes ago, alstein said:

Are you using one of those blockbots? 

I can't imagine interacting with 20000 folks, let alone blocking.  I think I have about 50 blocks on mine, most of which were random hateful bigots I ended up reporting.  Then again, Twitter for me is like 100 folks I follow, none of it wrestling related, largely friends/folks I met through another hobby.

Going Kojima on folks works too.

Fully agree with not tolerating bigots.  I have it horrible with my mom who constantly tries to call me closeminded for not accepting or tolerating her views (she's gone down the wrong path, and it's too late for her to learn her left and right hand turn signals)  I have to keep just about everything about myself secret from her, which is awful.

No, no blockbots. Sometimes I'll wade into the responses to a tweet about, say, police brutality or something supporting JK Rowling, and I'll find a nice batch of racists, white nationalists, or TERFs to block. No interaction by me required. Just report/block/move on, no engagement by me with the account ever takes place. It's my lunchtime hobby on days where I'm already in a sour mood and feel like playing a little whack-a-bigot.

Yeah this has been a topic on the Discord recently. You gotta curate your shit. I'm thankful for not having any family or really any assholes on my FB or Insta and if you piss me off you get slapped with an ignore. And I am NOT on Twitter. 

So what's the deal with Ron Fuller? I haven't heard. 

EDIT: Nevermind, I just got it from the Podcast thread

Edited by Curt McGirt

Kevin Owens on why he doesn't want to win the Interncontential Championship again: 

"As everybody knows, Owen Hart had a very positive influence on my career. I was a big fan of his. I named my son after him. My wrestling name ‘Kevin Owens’ is obviously a tribute to my son and Owen Hart. And what some fans have pointed out to me in the past is that me and Owen Hart share a birthday. We were both born on May 7. But also, what’s cool is we were both Intercontinental champions twice. And if you add the total amount of days from both those reigns, we have the exact same amount of days as Intercontinental champion as well."

---

Kevin Owens is a good un. Has to be the first winner of the Owen.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 8

News tangential to the WWE but theoretically will impact at least the WWE on Peacock

Kelly Campbell has been hired by NBCUniversal to the be the new President of Peacock. Campbell had been the President of Hulu until Monday when she resigned in anticipation of this move.