DVDVR Message Board

October 2021 Wrestling Discussion

So this week, NXT UK had a surprisingly good Oliver Carter/ Ashton Smith vs Moustache Mountain tag, Dani Luna vs Xia Brookside, a main event of redacted Irishman vs redacted Scotsman... and William Regal's kid, in his second televised match EVER, being the best all-round worker on the brand. Seriously, Charlie Dempsey (that's the name Bailey Matthews/ William Regal jr is using) is really, really good.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

So she's going to be... Toni Robinson.

Reveal hidden contents

Well, there's always he possibility that Mr. Robinson will known as Juice Storm from now (then) on, but yeah, that's probably what we are looking at.

11 minutes ago, ReiseReise said:

Why wouldn't they go with Charles Regal? This company doesn't make any sense in naming its wrestlers. 

He wasn't going with the Regal name beforehand so one might assume he maybe didn't want to.

If he doesn't use the Regal name in WWE, then he can use it anywhere else in the world he chooses. But they never acknowledged him on TV as Regal's kid anyway.

I was curious about the last Halloween Havoc pay-per-view, which was the 2000 one. The poster tickles me, especially with the knowledge of how the Sting/Jarrett match went:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BNTEyZDk5OGItZDZiZi00ZDI4LTlmYjQtMjE5MDIxN2RjNTZiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjkxODI3MTY@.jpg

From Wikipedia: In the next match Jeff Jarrett defeated Sting. While Sting made his way to the ring, a man dressed as Sting from early in his career attacked him, however Sting was able to hit the Scorpion Death Drop on him. Following this, another Sting dressed in his early 1990s look attacked him, followed by one dressed the way he did as part of the nWo Wolfpac. Toward the end of the match, while Sting had Jarrett in the Scorpion Deathlock, a Crow-era Sting came through the ring mat and pulled Sting back under with him. After Sting was able to escape, he went for the Scorpion Death Drop on Jarrett, however before he could the lights went out and another Crow Sting came from the rafters, who the real Sting hit a Scorpion Death Drop on through the announce table. Following this, another fake Sting broke a guitar over Sting’s head, followed by Jarrett breaking one over Sting’s head, enabling Jarrett to pick up the pinfall victory.

Also, the main event was the Goldberg/KroniK handicap elimination match that went less than four minutes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

His real name is Bailey Matthews (Regal's real name is Darren Matthews). If he wanted to Daniel Bryan it, he'd be Matthew Darrenson.

Anyway, hopefully Curt Stallion Rogers was a one and done for AEW:

Not satisfied with being a transphobe, he then goes on to confirm that his Speaking Out accuser was telling the truth, framing it all as a great big laugh he had.

On 10/1/2021 at 6:06 PM, AxB said:

Will they split up the New Day again?

Self quoting for gloating.

There's a reason I'm the 2-time, longest reigning predictions champ on that other Discord.

And now, getting a chance to sit next to the greatest of all-time in Michael Cole, I mean I just go out there and have a blast. It’s not a profitable thing for me, the SmackDown. I mean aside from being in front of three million people every Friday night which is incredibly huge, that’s a massive commercial. When you’re talking about just strictly cash in pocket, like that is not that profitable of a thing for me. For me, I’m doing it because I love it so much. I have so much fun, I enjoy it. There’s been a couple things obviously that have been told to me like, ‘Hey, do this, do this, try to do this’ and I try to curtail it and keep it in there but anybody that says you get a chance to hear a billionaire speak into your brain whenever you’re talking about his show and acts as if that’s a bad thing, I think that’s incredibly short-sighted. Getting a chance to chat with Vince McMahon, even if you think he’s whatever; a lunatic or whatever. This is one of the biggest self-made dudes in the history of the world so, I take it as an incredible opportunity and I’ve been in football and soccer where coaches have said terrible things to me. So I almost have a callus build-up so, if Vince McMahon was to come into my ear and say some of the things that people have said have happened in the past, I think my natural reaction would be to almost laugh. Like this sounds bad but it will be like, ‘Okay, all right. I get it. I get it.’ But I look at that as an incredible opportunity at something that’s really cool and very thankful that they’ve let me kind of do my own thing in there.

• McAfee also said he assumes he’s going to wrestle another match at some point:

I mean first minute I’m in that match, I do a moonsault and I don’t turn my feet out so my toe just goes straight into the mat, fracture my big toe literally the first minute I’m in there and then obviously with the flip off the top and in the match with Adam Cole, I got kicked so hard in the face in the middle of that thing. I mean it was -- my whole body was incredibly sore. The amount of respect that I had for every woman and man that gets in the ring after my first match -- I mean I obviously had massive respect for them but it grew. I mean I'm a delicate flower but, let’s assume I’m probably gonna get back in there. I mean let’s assume at some point. I gotta win at some point, you know what I mean? I can’t just be completely defeated in there but my body was beat up dude. I was very sore.

Pat McAfee is one of my favourite wrestling commentators, he's taken to it very quick.

• Like 5

On 10/1/2021 at 9:19 AM, twiztor said:

i watched all of Wrestling Society X over the last couple of weeks. You remember, MTV's short lived wrestling promotion/show? anyway, i have some thoughts:

the first episode was fast, brash, and in your face. i don't mean that in a good way. Lots of stuff happening, but nothing meant anything.  the announcers were very offputting and distracting. none of the musical guest commentators ever added anything resembling worthwhile input.

The first match was Matt Sydal vs. Jack Evans. it was sub-5 minutes with lots of spots. Actually, i don't know if that's completely accurate. More fair to say that it was 5 minutes of spots with a semi-semblance of a wrestling match. I'm not always against spotfests, but this took it to a whole different stratusphere.

The main event was a Royal Rumble style match, but with weapons. Also, there is tables and electrified fencing set up near ringside. Also, somebody brought in thumbtakcs. Also also, once everyone had entered, it turned into a double ladder match, with the two winners facing off next week for the inaugural title. While people are getting thrown into the electrified fencing, there are other big bumps being taken in the ring. The show didn't give you a chance to register what is happening before the next thing is already happening. Anyway, Syxx-Pac and Vampiro win the right to compete next week. 

Vampiro wins the title, has one defense (against Judas Mesias, in his first and only match for the promotion) which he loses. He never gets involved with anyone else in the company, save Syxx-Pac. i guess that's another gripe i have. Everybody was isolated from everybody else. There was no interaction, no real "feuds", nothing to tell you "WHY".

OK, so the first episode pretty much is its own thing. After this, the matches are still spotfests, but not at full speed all the time. Close, but enough so you can actually comprehend what's happening. But after this episode, the crazy stipulations are held back to one (or fewer) per episode. It's still crazy (i'm looking at you, season finale of time bomb cage match AND pirahna tank death match) but more.... subdued isn't the word at all, but i'm going to use it anyway. It's all relative.  Also, episode 1 features Justin Credible, and New Jack, and Chris Hamrick, all guys who it leads you to believe will be part of the promotion. Nope. one shots for all of them. 

the tag team division is a mess. it felt like every team won and lost against every other team. No hierarchy as to who should be in title contention, no feuds (again), and a face/heel dynamic that seemed to shift regularly. Hard to get behind anybody when you don't know when you'll see them again, who they'll be facing, or whether they are supposed to be cheered or not. They tease a tag team title tournament for season 2, but that obviously never comes to fruition.

i enjoyed it as a novelty, but 10 episodes of 20 minutes each were definitely enough.  Interesting how many future AEW wrestlers are here (Scorpio Sky, Jack Evans, Matt Sydal, Colt Cabana as Matt Classic. I half expected to see the Bucks show up at any moment). Next up: Global Force Wrestling (2015)

I watched this before re-watching LU on Tubi. You can definably see how this most likely inspired Lucha Underground. A number of wrestlers appear in both like Jack Evans, Vampiro, Ricky Banderas. At one point in Lucha Underground someone refers to Mister Sisco as "a little cholo" and Vamp references the ladder match. Its a fun sort of sprint watch and a cool look at the early 2000s indie scene. I wonder if it would have stuck around if the exploding cage match had not pissed of an executive

• Like 1

was thinking about this the other day:

Juventud Guerrera is the only wrestler to have televised matches for WWE, WCW, ECW, TNA/Impact, and AEW.  when you add both AAA and CMLL to the list, that dude's been all over!  Anybody i'm missing?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, twiztor said:

was thinking about this the other day:

Juventud Guerrera is the only wrestler to have televised matches for WWE, WCW, ECW, TNA/Impact, and AEW.  when you add both AAA and CMLL to the list, that dude's been all over!  Anybody i'm missing?

He was on the finals of the NOAH Junior Heavyweight Title Tournament back in 2001 which was on Nippon TV, plus I know he did a Dragon Gate tour in 2010 & was on a Korakuen show that would've been on GAORA. That tour also gave us a weird match that never made it to tape: Juvi & Super Shisa vs Shingo Takagi & Mark Haskins.

• Thanks 1