DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 9/29/2021

4 hours ago, Bryan said:

A heel announcing that his opponents family was now unemployed because he’d laid them all off or closed there business down to make profits in stock or whatever would be unique and a pretty great way to get some heat.

It would be a little like the WOW angle where Becky the Farmer's Daughter's rival bought her family's farm. Except in that case the purchaser wasn't a financier or corporate raider, but a school teacher.

WHICH MAKES PERFECT SENSE.

2 hours ago, DEAN said:

Hopefully, the first champs will be Ryo Mizunami and Leyla Hirsch.

12 months ago the women's division for AEW to me was a real weakness. Now, thanks to some great additions AND some ladies working hard it has really evolved.  Baker, Anna, Tay Conti, Statlander - all have grown and performed. I am not putting them into 4 Horsewoman territory but impressed by the growth, and TK's commitment. AEW could have easily not focused on the women. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, J.T. said:

I have no fucking clue where this Lio Rush thing is going.   He will be the third rich asshole heel in the fed behind MJF and Matt Hardy.

I get it that you don't want to give the appearance of copying by putting him in some sort of ballin' rapper gimmick bragging about wealth (even though Lio is not a half bad rapper) and risk being accused of cloning Hit Row or clashing gimmicks with The Acclaimed, but three silver spoons in the same fed is a bit much.

don't forget Andrade as rich asshole heel as well. 

9 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

now he and Real Estate Steve can really have some deep conversations. 

Don't you put that evil on Real Estate Steve!  He's a babyface who just wants to put you in your forever home.  LBO Lio takes out loans to buy troubled companies, plays games with balance sheets to bleed them dry, then shuts them down.  THAT'S a heel.

With Punk on commentary, I kept waiting for Colt to tag in so maybe Punk would call something and I could get an inkling of what's up with those two now.  Alas, it was not to be.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

With Punk on commentary, I kept waiting for Colt to tag in so maybe Punk would call something and I could get an inkling of what's up with those two now.  Alas, it was not to be.

I was also waiting for Punk to call something of Cabana's, but the fact he didn't pretty much tells us where that relationship is.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Don't you put that evil on Real Estate Steve!  He's a babyface who just wants to put you in your forever home.  LBO Lio takes out loans to buy troubled companies, plays games with balance sheets to bleed them dry, then shuts them down.  THAT'S a heel.

Here's a LBO Lio 

If we really want to get into it -- LBO Lio takes out loans from a syndicate of ghoulish private equity firms and "shadow banks" (that can somehow lend out billions of dollars without any regulatory oversight) to buy companies that are usually not looking to be acquired. So LBI

• Like 1

I really liked Cole vs. Jungle Boy.  I do wish that Jungle Boy would have won, it would have done a lot for Jungle Boy and not done much to derail Cole.  Cole is the exact type of character who can take that loss and get his heat back by cutting a promo about it being a fluke.  He's a big deal, we know he's a big deal, and putting over Jungle Boy would do nothing to hurt him in the eyes of fans.

The tag was OK, but do we really need to make a vertebreaker of all moves a move that only gets a near fall?  Arn Anderson's promo was perfect.  Cody is dog running with wolves, and Arn realized he wasn't man enough to get the job done.

The 6-man was exactly what it needed to be.

Someone's going to have to explain why I should care about The Dark Order and their story.  I don't give a rat's ass.  

I can't lie, I kind of like Dan Lambert's "all you betas are pussies" character.  I literally hate the entire alpha/beta bullshit, but it kind of works for me in wrestling.  Scorpio Sky is a perfectly fine promo, but Ethan Page might have something.  He delivered that promo like he meant every single syllable and came off like a future star.

The women's tag wasn't bad.  I feel like Tay Conti and Anna Jay are just scratching the service of their potential, but The Bunny and Penelope Ford are very close to their ceilings.  I hope I'm wrong, but they look like they are near the bottom of the division talent wise.

MJF is kind of as good of a heel as you can have in modern wrestling.  His character has no interest in the audience thinking he's cool, and that is what makes pretty much all WWE heels fail.  With that said, when he named the 4 pillars, he's the worst one in the ring by a pretty large margin.  

Miro is fucking dope, he might have my favorite offensive arsenal in the game these days.  That standing shooting star spot scared the shit out of me, but they saved it.  Miro's over the turnbuckle bump was awesome, but Guevara's over the turnbuckle dive was fucking incredible.  I feel like it was worked exactly as it should have been.  Miro is an unstoppable force, who will destroy anything in his path.  Sammy could compete as long as he was using his speed to stick and move.  Miro got arrogant, took his eye off the prize, and Sammy made him pay.  Pro wrestling is rarely done well, but when it is, you see just how simple it can be.  

This is a damn good episode of a wrestling show.  Honestly, the only thing I'd change is putting Jungle Boy over.  The best thing AEW can do is push these young guys and make them seem like credible threats.  In the short term, putting Cole, Danielson, and Punk in the ring with main eventers makes sense, but they need to play the long game.  Sammy, Darby, MJF, and Jungle Boy give you an opportunity to create the stars of the next decade, and they need to start now.  They are in a place where they can learn at the knee of some of the greatest workers of this millennium.  Let them get in the ring with those guys, compete, and learn how to be stars.  Cole, Punk, Omega, and Danielson will be OK if they drop a couple matches to young guys, if you make they make it mean something.  They have something going here, and they need to start planning on how to keep it going long term.  These are just my thoughts.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, supremebve said:

This is a damn good episode of a wrestling show.  Honestly, the only thing I'd change is putting Jungle Boy over.  The best thing AEW can do is push these young guys and make them seem like credible threats.  In the short term, putting Cole, Danielson, and Punk in the ring with main eventers makes sense, but they need to play the long game.  Sammy, Darby, MJF, and Jungle Boy give you an opportunity to create the stars of the next decade, and they need to start now.  They are in a place where they can learn at the knee of some of the greatest workers of this millennium.  Let them get in the ring with those guys, compete, and learn how to be stars.  Cole, Punk, Omega, and Danielson will be OK if they drop a couple matches to young guys, if you make they make it mean something.  They have something going here, and they need to start planning on how to keep it going long term.  These are just my thoughts.

The thing with AEW is they mostly book like a traditional American promotion but the firmly established hierarchy is almost AJPW-esque. So when Darby finally beat Cody after losing to top guys over and over it felt like a big deal and even then it was him catching Cody with a flash pinfall because Cody was a complacent champion. It was far from decisive. MJF beating Jericho a bunch is probably the biggest wins any of those four had gotten up until last night. So, you don't get many upsets in AEW and while it makes things a bit predictable there is usually some excitement in seeing the underdogs progress and how close they can get. Jungle Boy was about as close as you can get last night with Cole. He's not far away and yeah he needs a win. I thought he was the guy to beat Miro but they went with Sammy, which is interesting. Sammy's been stuck in the IC/Pinnacle feud as a tertiary figure. He beat Spears in a great match not long ago but hasn't been up to much. I could see MJF being the one to skip the TNT or tag title and win the world belt. I thought he'd be the guy to beat Hangman but now I don't think so. Miro is such a fire act right now, I'd lean his way. They could also throw us a curveball and pivot away from Hangman at this stage.

They may have listed four pillars but they've got so many guys who could overcome any of those four in short order. Starks and Hobbs are the most obvious candidates, though Hobbs is 30. Dante is just scratching the surface. Moriarty and Garcia. There are older guys who could really become players too. Once Lucha Bros drop the titles, I'd like to see them go separate ways. Evil Pentagon and tecnico Fenix. Wardlow is 33. There are older fringe main eventers they could put steam behind and be massive deals like Andrade and Pac. Miro is da God of this shit. Hangman is coming back. I'd love for Bray, Steen, and Zayn to join the fray too over the next 4-5 months but if they don't AEW will be just fine.

Better yet, Hook hasn't even wrestled a match. ?

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 5

A Rhodes should never trust an Anderson that’s all I’m gonna say on the Cody stuff.

Adam Cole always came off as a dork to me In ROH, I didn’t see much of him in NXT but him against Kaz two weeks ago abs this match against Jungle Boy holy shit this dude is fucking killer in the ring and comes off like a Super Star. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Hikaru Shida vs Serena Deeb being announced for next week is a guaranteed must watch for me. Give them as much time as possible please.

I like what appears to be the genesis of a women's tag team division. The matching gear from both teams, TayJay getting a team theme, that's all trending positive for me. The match was fun as heck too!

I loved the gear, felt like a lot of the DO got gear upgrades.  I just wish Tayjay had a black and purple color scheme instead of pink.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, just drew said:

I could see Lio Rush fleecing Matt Hardy out of Private Party's contracts or something. That'd be a fun grouping. 

LBO Rush has found his first mark *ahem* valued business partner in an organic hemp venture backstage. I don't think he's grasped the nuances quite yet:

Spoiler

DJxcbW5.jpg

Edit: managed to wipe my notes on the show making that lame joke, oh well. Wonderful bookends in JB/Cole and Sammy/Miro, the women were stepping up their game and I'll gladly take Punk as a 3rd swapping out Skee-a-vone or Jr thanks very much. Didn't much enjoy the content of AmDrag's promo but the wider context and direction is good. I also liked Aubrey's indignant 'Hey!' when Cole got up in her bidness, not the cowering, subservient muppet that we've got used to seeing on TV wrestling.

For me, just the right amount of Brodie Lee commemoration and callbacks but will be happy to see DO evolve. I'm also not massively high on Sammy as a face personality but willing to see them run with it and Do The Work (blessed be to our heavenly Cody) week in, week out. Am I right in recalling that Kip Sabian and Sammy faced off in the very first AEW match at DON 2019, and Kip won that one. Interesting the paths both men have taken since. 

Edited by Custos
  • Like 3

Still thinking about Arn and his glock. Like, he made us all move on from him slipping and looking like an old man last week real fucking quick. "I'm Arn Anderson and all that that implies," is such a great follow up too. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 7

I get why people are either laughing at, or horrified by Arn's Glock story... But to me, the real take away was how he still has that matter of fact, completely convinced of what he's saying promo style in him, and it's a damn crime how little mic time they've given him.

I mean, not as big a crime as WWE just sticking him backstage and giving him literally no mic time at all for years at a time, but this is at least a misdemeanor.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

All of you complaining about the vertebreaker not being the finish: LOOK AT THE STATE OF IT! 

Yeah when Cody hit it on Martin not only did it not look good but Martin is made of flubber or something, you're not going to hurt that kid unless you actually drop him on his head and neck. Of course, please don't drop him on his head and neck... 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, supremebve said:

Someone's going to have to explain why I should care about The Dark Order and their story.  I don't give a rat's ass.  

I'm so glad I still had this bookmarked.  The guy had a great thread about Page but here's Dark Order's part in the story. 

• Thanks 1