DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 9/29/2021

3 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

MJF, man. Awful. The analogy to me is like a body guy who looks like a million bucks but can’t work, MJF can talk like a million bucks but can’t cut a promo. 

Thank you!  This post made me finally put to words the vague thing I've never liked about FTR.  "Great old school technical wrestlers," just like "awesome promo," is not supposed to be some gimmick that you play up.  It's too meta and it's phony.  Those are things you're just supposed to be.  FTR coming out like "HEY EVERYBODY WE ARE OLD SCHOOL TECHNICIANS" never felt real to me, just like MJF's Roddy Piper cosplay.    As soon as you say something like, "you don't want to promo battle with me," I tune the fuck out of that Russo ass shit.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Yeah man MJF is to promos what Lance Storm and Christopher Daniels are to wrestling moves. In the same way those two guys have 10.0 perfect move execution but nothing connects with the audience, the physical means by which the words come out of MJF’s mouth sound good but his “promos” are absolute hot garbage, cheap and embarrassing for AEW to air.

He sounds good though!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have no fucking clue where this Lio Rush thing is going.   He will be the third rich asshole heel in the fed behind MJF and Matt Hardy.

I get it that you don't want to give the appearance of copying by putting him in some sort of ballin' rapper gimmick bragging about wealth (even though Lio is not a half bad rapper) and risk being accused of cloning Hit Row or clashing gimmicks with The Acclaimed, but three silver spoons in the same fed is a bit much.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I have no fucking clue where this Lio Rush thing is going.   He will be the third rich asshole heel in the fed behind MJF and Matt Hardy.

I get it that you don't want to give the appearance of copying by putting him in some sort of ballin' rapper gimmick bragging about wealth and risk being accused of cloning Hit Row, but three silver spoons in the same fed is a bit much.

Isn’t Andrade a rich asshole too?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, w. josh said:

Lio as Youtube stock tip grifter is different enough from a "silver spoon" gimmick that I think it will work.

I didn't love it, tbh. It's got that "Miro likes video games" feel, like they're really grasping for some kind of tenuous connection to his actual personality

Poor Jora Johl got killed to death by a nine thousand move chain finisher from Dark Order and then ate the pin so that no members of Hybrid2, Private Party, or Butcher/Blade would have to lie down.

Jora Johl knows his role.

Give that man some extra monies, TK.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 5

As someone who hasn't followed for years and only has a passing familiarity with some of the wrestlers/characters/backstories, I watched after really enjoying last week.

Jungle Boy/Adam Cole was a fun match, but I don't get the Adam Cole thing at all. Feels incredibly WWE with the Bay Bay catchphrase and mic work and that greasy long hair. Decent wrestler I suppose, but this roster is full of those. Still, another decently long, hot opening match.

Cody/some dude versus two dudes. Again, I don't know any of these guys. Cody's partner (Lee something) was ok. The super high flyer on the other team (Dante?) was awesome and I want to see more of him. I will say that Cody and Lee did a good job of catching and positioning on those high spots. The Arn promo was very weird fbut good, I like the person who said it was a boomer who fantasizes about shooting people complaining about soft millenials. Definitely a pale cry from his classic steal of the Untouchables line "They put one of ours in the hospital, you put one of theirs in the morgue".

The 6 man was weird because it felt like dudes being thrown together and the losing team had a very WWF jobbers gimmick feel to me. I mean, big fat guys with beards who can move is cool enough I suppose, but they were one step away from wearing lumberjack gear to the ring. I do like Darby Allin though.

Someone else mentioned that there were way too many superkicks and I had that same thought around this point of the show. Also, if you're going to have some of your stars with a superkick as a finisher or set-up move, then you need to protect that shit a little more, instead of having every wrestler using it as their "out of the blue" save move.

I only know about Brodie Lee from Twitter and I have no concept of who most of these guys and the factions are, but I also wasn't the intended target for this match and that's fine.

Loved the women's tag team match.

I've never gotten into MJF as a character, and whoever said he's a guy who knows how to work the mic but not cut a promo was right on with that. The bit about him being the only pillar to win a championship was a nice but of foreshadowing.

Sammy/Miro was great. Announcers did a great job of pointing out that Miro's one weak spot was his neck (I did not know that), which helped by establishing the Achilles' heel. And going along with the Greek theme (even though he's Bulgarian and would probably get pissed) his hubris did him in. Miro is incredibly quick in his first couple of steps, crisp in is moves, and sells very well. Also a good catcher. I like Sammy, and he did some crazy high spots and his knee strikes look solid. I was thinking throughout the show that this newer generation does a great job with convincing knee strikes (and selling them). The win felt out of nowhere but also earned. Unfortunately, my DVR cut off immediately after the 3 count.

I liked the backstage/pre-taped stuff, it was short and to the point and did a good job of setting up matches in general. No idea who Lio is but that gimmick is corny, outdated, and destined to flop. Not as bad as that horrific "safe space" gimmick on NXT, but at a similar level. 

• Like 7

There really isn't enough talk about how Arn has very likely murdered at least a few people. So lesson learned - Never, ever approach Arn's vehicle with him in it.

This show fucking ruled. The MVP of the night was that crowd. They went nuts for damn near everything all night. Also, well done on quickly picking up "KENNY NO BALLS" as a chant. 

Jungle Boy is about the second best pure babyface in all of wrestling. Hangman may still be the very best. Everything Jungle Boy does is so good and I dug the hell out of that match. They actually got me too. I thought this would be Adam Cole's first loss.

The Super Elite promo afterwards cracked me up. Karl runs down all of the Super Elite and then quickly goes, "Oh, and Brandon and Nakazawa." It was probably the delivery of it, but that really made me laugh. Nick Jackson hyping up a promo to give the mic to Nakazawa was funny as hell too. Omega being afraid of AmDrag is a story I can get into to hold me over until Hangman returns.

I always love it when Moxley, Darby/Moxley Jr., and Eddie team up. It's the best King of Trios pairing. It's even more fun when they're put in there against jobbers who are game for getting german suplexed and taking stupid bumps. 

Then that bled into the MJF promo. There's this division on whether he's a good heel or if he's just cheap. I think he's a pretty good heel that probably doesn't always need to rely on screaming and going to the lowest of low that early. Sure, you want to bring up his uncle? That's fine. Do it before your big match, not in your opening promo. However, the story here seems to be the MJF can't make Darby shook, so it will be interesting to see what MJF does next to try and break Darby.

Props to Punk settling in on commentary and being awesome all night. Dude was really funny. That was actually a common theme for the night. Everyone looked to be having fun and they all delivered on humor for the night.

The requisite 9:30 PM EST women's match was good shit and involved a bunch of women I'm invested in. 

I wondered what the 16 man tag was going to be. I figured it would either be a total mess or a lot of fun. Thankfully it was the latter and it told a good story with Amanda telling Uno and the others to knock that shit off and go do it for Brodie. Finishing sequence of Silver and Reynolds going banana leading to Uno and Grayson hitting the Fatality was awesome.

And finally, that main event. Holy shit. Part of me thought that they might actually do a title change. As the match played out though, it looked like Sammy would mount a comeback that would ultimately get shut down. Where it all changed was when Sammy rolled out of the ring after taking the Machta Kick. At that point I was like, holy shit, he might actually do this. At that point I'm just standing up and watching to see where it would go. Even up until Sammy hit the senton I thought Miro would recover and finish him. Sammy hits the senton, I'm pumping my fists, 1-2-3 new champion. Fucking great storytelling and a great match. Miro is fucking amazing. Dude is the absolute best.

AEW builds to their future stars extremely well and tonight's theme was a lot about those four pillars of AEW's future. 

So fuck the ratings, whatever they might be, just keep putting on shows like this. Motherfucking pro wrestling.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Well, I was in my wrestling should be offensive and racist frame of mind and thinking that Matt should channel Skandar Akbar and come to the ring dressed in a sheik's keffiyeh and bring a riding crop to the ring since his stable is so Devastation Inc; the heel island of misfit toys.

After just watching an Ali Hassan match on the Portland set, I say go complete half ass and just have Matt wrestle in black trunks that just say OIL in white on his butt.

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Craig H said:

There really isn't enough talk about how Arn has very likely murdered at least a few people. So lesson learned - Never, ever approach Arn's vehicle with him in it.

Maybe 30 years ago, sure.  Nowadays, my dude can't get around the ringpost without Shockmastering himself and needs Brandi to walk him down to the ring.  The only reason you couldn't carjack ol' Dubba A in 2021 is that the light would change twice and traffic would be all held up while he struggled mightily to get out of the car.  I say this as a guy who loved me some Arn back in the day.  You know what they say: die a hero or live long enough to fall on your ass on TV and cut embarrassing old man promos ?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

When did TayJay get their own entrance music? I thought that sounded really good. Also, move of the night was probably Jungle Boys hurricanrana over the top rope. That was sick.

Also, Rampage was a pretty solid show. For those wondering the main event was OC vs. Evans (hair vs hair) so seeing those two pull double duty (16 man tag and that match) was pretty surprising. You can tell the crowd gets worn down after an hour of Dark (Pop, squash, rinse and repeat) and two hours of high octane Dynamite.

Edited by Krone Meltzer
  • Like 1

With Lio Rush's stonk gimmick it does feel like there's a little too many rich douchebags in the company, but hey, right now there's a whole lot of contempt in the zeitgeist for billionaires so at least it fits the times? Plus everybody's a little bit different...

Hardy is clearly a hang on grifter type, signing lesser used talent to contracts where he claims to give them the stars but is robbing them blind. 

MJF is a spoiled little prick born into wealth and privilege, who concentrates less on bragging about money and more on just being better than you.

Andrade is classic superstar wealth, dressing to the nines and presenting himself like a real big fucking deal but unlike MJF, he wasn't born a rich little bastard and actually has some class. 

And now Lio is the arrogant investment bro who can only talk about financial success and shows off through outrageous spending. 

As long as they all get repeatedly punched in the mouth, all is well! Although I'm assuming that Lio won't really be in-ring as much if at all. Shit, if they really want to go all out have all the rich pricks start talking about merging their brands and bullshit like that. 

• Like 2

I'm not as harsh on MJF as the rest of you but that promo did rub me the wrong way. I think MJF is great where he has a goal in place. His promos on Jericho during the 5 labors were really good and his whole program with Cody even after talking about how there would be no rematch was all fantastic. Having a legit gripe against Cody and wanting to take Jericho's spot gave him that focus. That was just missing from the Kid Pillman thing, just felt like MJF was way above that program. There's definitely something to MJF and Darby having a program though since they are most likely gonna be the franchise at some point but good lord that got off on the wrong foot. I guess what bothered me is MJF didn't have to go that low. The school shooter line really shouldn't have been there (disclosure, I'm a teacher) and bringing up the car accident didn't feel shitty and heelish but... yeah, cheap. MJF could have brought up since Darby hooked up with Sting he lost the TNT title or a host of other things.

I'm sure these two have a great program in them and I'd be down for any combination of Pinnacle vs. Mox/Darby/Kingston/Sting at some point though.

I... might have teared up a little when -1 hit Uno with the papers. Seconding what everyone else said about how great Amanda Huber was in that moment too. Not really sure what's next for Dark Order if it's something more with Hangman or a new (fiendish?) Exalted One but so many of those guys are so talented (Uno, Stu, Colt) or seem to have a lot of potential (Silver, Angels) that I hope they find some real direction again. (Also the Fatality is one of the dopest finishes in the company).

• Like 3

My suspicion is that MJF is kind of a ball buster in real life, but also naturally charismatic and likable, so he tries to heel as hard as possible because he wants true heat and not cool heel heat. This is mostly based on him being on Rhodes to the Top for about ten seconds and easily having the funniest line. 

• Like 1

Arn: 

9 millimeter....Safety ALWAYS off" -Cyrus, Trailer Park Boys | Cyrus  trailer park boys, Trailer park boys, Trailer park

The thing that surprised me the most about this show was Ethan Page totally crushing it on the mic out of nowhere to make up for the crowd WHATing Scorpio Sky. Also it was pretty funny that they just cut in on Lambert already talking like he'd been haranguing the crowd through the whole commercial break. 

Whatever they called the lariat x Saito suplex finish that King and Mox do is now my favorite death move(s). 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1