DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 9/29/2021

3 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Just processing that Lio is only 26. He really did things right by doing his three years getting utilized incorrectly by Vince and getting the goodwill and buzz that generates while he still has a ton of prime years ahead.  

And he also used that time wisely by becoming a Chartered Financial Analyst, apparently.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I saw some of this:

Nightmare Family vs Sydal/Martin: Cody rushing in worked for me. There was a neat moment during the early exchanges where Martin and Johnson were going at it and the ref was obviously in the way of the corner so that almost opened things up for a switch. Pretty sure it was planned but it didn't feel it which is what matters with these elaborate spots. Punk balking at the "Lightning Spiral" name was funny. The sequence where Cody hit the Disaster Kick to Sydal on the apron and then hit the Vertebreaker was really good but no one should be kicking out of that move without something extra. That shouldn't just be some random midmatch move for Cody. I got the impression Cody was glad to be in there with Martin and based well for him. Post match promo worked. Arn's shaky these days which is weird because he's really clear on the podcast but it still worked.

Greene/Bears vs Darby/Mox/Eddie: Glad Boulder's ok after seeming hurt on Dark. Excalibur called La Casita La Magistral again. Come on, Excalibur. I like how Greene somehow bumped on his face off a shoulder black. He was obviously glad to be there. The Hurricane vs Rock and Austin moment at the end with him was great. Eddie's German on Bronson was pretty awesome too.

OC/DO vs HFO: I like how this shifted gears once everyone came down midway. All of the signature stuff was after that. At first it felt a little empty for such a big match but that's because they saved it all for when the switch flipped. In retrospect, pretty perfect.

Tay/Anna vs Bunny/Ford: Tay should probably work hulking up into her act because she's got a memorable pissed off face. She also took the knee first corner bump to the floor huge. The backstabber combo onto Anna didn't look pretty. We lost the heat and the hot tag in the PiP. The Dangerous J kick looked great. I had wondered about putting the Dark Order stuff back to back but probably best to highlight it like this in the middle of the show.

Miro vs Sammy: I don't think I've ever actually seen Sammy before. I was wondering if they were going to put him over during Hispanic Heritage Month since they did a promo for that and seem a lot better than WWE about this stuff. Miro is a once in a generation talent (which given this generation is saying something) with his balance between offensive presence and engaged selling. He just gets it and is exceptional at making everything he does mean something and resonate. I'm not sure I see quite enough differentiation between Sammy and a lot of the other young guys. If I had to say I'd say that Sammy tosses himself at people forward and Darby does it backwards and more fatalism. The story of the match with Sammy throwing himself at Miro as the only way to hurt him and Miro catching him again and again worked for me. The transition where Miro let the crowd get into his head and feed his own ego was excellent. I only saw half the matches on this show and there was just way too many cutters and stunners. Also too many superkicks. Almost every match had at least one. You have to love the effort and weight behind Sammy actually getting the GTH on Miro (too many drop onto knee moves too though). I was interested to hear Punk's reaction but he stayed in the moment and shouted "Pin him!" instead. They covered a lot of ground in ten minutes. Great moment for a crowd that deserved a great moment in the memory of someone who inspired a great moment.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I don't think I've ever actually seen Sammy before. I was wondering if they were going to put him over during Hispanic Heritage Month since they did a promo for that and seem a lot better than WWE about this stuff.

First off whether skipping Cole/Jungle Boy was intentional or not I will say the match itself was pretty good.  JB was all about tenacity and his main moves felt earned in this match.  And Cole on his own did a pretty good job himself so if you have the time/interest it might be worth watching.

As for Sammy it didn't occur to me at the time about the Hispanic Heritage Month though I saw the YT video.  I get what you're saying about how WWE would do it but this felt pretty organic to me.  I also have a feeling it might not have factored into it much if at all.  His vlog helped make people care about Fuego so from the time he got the contract on Rampage it was a steady progression to where we are.  I personally would have hoped it was somebody else for different reasons but with the Inner Circle guys doing their own thing looking back this feels like the right time.

I had limited time and didn't go back for the Cole match. I might at some point but I'm not feeling it today.

2 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

As for Sammy it didn't occur to me at the time about the Hispanic Heritage Month though I saw the YT video.  I get what you're saying about how WWE would do it but this felt pretty organic to me.  I also have a feeling it might not have factored into it much if at all. 

I didn't mean for this to come off as a negative necessarily. WWE has a tendency to focus on people for LGBTQ awareness month and then fire them a few weeks later or what not. Or do a Black History Month video and immediately bury someone. That sort of thing.

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, alstein said:

Hoping this brings out the desperate MJF, like his MLW match vs Mance Warner.  That was MJF at his best (also the Mox match had some of this as well)  MJF is best when he knows he's bit off more than he can chew and can't run. 

I had nearly forgotten about the glorious feud between The Dynasty and psychobilly paring of Mance Warner and Sami Callihan.

MJF is a million times better when he doesn't overthink shit or mark out for his own gimmick.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I had limited time and didn't go back for the Cole match. I might at some point but I'm not feeling it today.

I didn't mean for this to come off as a negative necessarily. WWE has a tendency to focus on people for LGBTQ awareness month and then fire them a few weeks later or what not. Or do a Black History Month video and immediately bury someone. That sort of thing.

Oh, for sure and I would see through that every time.  I didn't take it as a negative but to your initial point I feel AEW is a lot better when it comes to stuff like this.  And that's mainly because they according to one's merits and not because of the month or other circumstance.  Which helps for those like Nyla as she earned her title and it wasn't a token "Hey, it's June, here's a title win!" moment.  I'm trying to not pump up AEW more than necessary but I've been mostly pretty happy with how they do title wins.

I will sing with the choir and praise the booking of the main.  Loved that they protected Miro by allowing his hubris to be his downfall and I also dug how they still kept his neck as an Achilles's heel.  Sammy even shouted out Fuego by starting his barrage with a Tornado DDT.

I also enjoyed how they booked the finish.  I like Sammy thinking "No, the GTH is not enough.  I am going to have to hit this mother fucker with a meteorite to win," and then turning his entire body into said meteorite.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 7

20 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I will sing with the choir and praise the booking of the main.  Loved that they protected Miro by allowing his hubris to be his downfall and I also dug how they still kept his neck as an Achilles's heel.  Sammy even shouted out Fuego by starting his barrage with a Tornado DDT.

I also enjoyed how they booked the finish.  I like Sammy thinking "No, the GTH is not enough.  I am going to have to hit this mother fucker with a meteorite to win," and then turning his entire body into said meteorite.

I loved Miro’s painful growl as he was hit with the 630 and was pinned. Felt like Godzilla or a T-Rex was being put down.

CXa9sP.gif

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 7

My thoughts on a pretty fun show.

Cole/Jungle Boy was super fun until it lost me to typical Adam Cole stuff late. The big Cole shocked face that Jungle Boy kicked out of his move that never finishes people, his shitty looking finish STILL being his shitty finish instead of a signature to the Sunrise (as stupid of a move as it is, if you are going to do it it needs to be a finisher), and what not. Jungle Boy is good. I’d even go so far to say “Jungle Boy is Adam Cole without the horrid habits.” I do appreciate it took cheating to beat him, and I think the match helped the story, but I was hoping Cole would escape his NXT habits now that he was away from Hunter and I should have know rejoining the Bucks and Omega wouldn’t do that.

Cody tag match was fun, and I like Martin and Sydal a good deal. Post match promo from Arn was memorable and funny. Punk laughing over the name Lightning Spiral is even better that the last time he was calling that move it was Jimmy Rave doing it and it being called Gonorreah.

The Mox, Darby, and Kingston tag was fun, but was mainly just a way to get Mox and Kingston on the show. Moxley is a guy I’m kind of out on right now, but I liked most of the other parts of this.

The Dark Order tag was exactly what it needed to be. Matt Hardy’s stable being “the island of misfit toys of people we have on our roster but don’t know what to do with” continues to just kind of exist, but they fit the role fine here.

Jay and Conti should be the go to for first women’s tag champs if they go that route. Jay is rock solid for her experience level, and Tay Conti is quite good.

Main Event was a damn fine piece of work and while Sammy was good, that match was the Miro show. When he first showed up in AEW it didn’t feel like he “got it” the way I assumed he did, but he’s rebounded amazingly, and is one of the best talents in wrestling right now. Sammy was good in this for the most part, but was largely along for the ride. Give me Miro/Bryan please.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, The Natural said:

There's a lot of impressive things AEW does and one in particular is making the TNT Championship, a secondary title mean something prestigious. That's something the WWE hasn't done in years.

Decades, my friend, decades.  The last time the IC belt meant anything was the late 90s, maybe early 2000s.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, The Natural said:

There's a lot of impressive things AEW does and one in particular is making the TNT Championship, a secondary title mean something prestigious. That's something the WWE hasn't done in years.

The IC meant to much at one time. Now it's so lost. I like how AEW is making the belt different for each holder (expensive for sure). And with Darby and now I expect Sammy it will elevate them.  Which was what WWE use to do as well.

When MJF mentioned Sammy last night, I was wondering does he get the belt? And how Darby threw that into MJF's face. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

Matt Hardy’s stable being “the island of misfit toys of people we have on our roster but don’t know what to do with” continues to just kind of exist, but they fit the role fine here.

It's awesome that Hardy is 2021 Paul Jones, and they're actually running an angle where he will become a BALD HEADED GEEK.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Technico Support said:

It's awesome that Hardy is 2021 Paul Jones, and they're actually running an angle where he will become a BALD HEADED GEEK.

Well, I was in my wrestling should be offensive and racist frame of mind and thinking that Matt should channel Skandar Akbar and come to the ring dressed in a sheik's keffiyeh and bring a riding crop to the ring since his stable is so Devastation Inc; the heel island of misfit toys.

• Like 1