DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 9/29/2021

It was the right move to give it to Sammy. Everytime they’ve switched the TNT belt it always feels like it comes out of nowhere, and that’s how it should be.

Miro had been coming off a little too unstoppable, and you sort of felt it here. It wasn’t until he hit the GTH that I thought he had a chance because that’s his killshot. They wouldn’t have him miss his 630 after hitting the killshot, would they? They didn’t… A very great Dynamite tonight. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 4

Really enjoyed last nights show. I only have 2 gripes. 1. I think MJF is a great heel and amazing promo, but with the Pillman and now Darby promos, he's being lazy. He's going for the cheapest of heat and I think he can be more creative and not have to go with the low hanging fruit of personal jabs. 2. After Sammy's victory, lots of the babyfaces come out to celebrate and the Inner Circle are nowhere to be found. At this point, other than Fuego, the Inner Circle should be the ones there celebrating with him. 

• Like 6

A lot of MJF’s shtick is just wasted time.

All the insider stuff and the local “this place sucks” bits are just lazy and played. I get that he wants to irritate a very smark heavy audience, but his heat is not earned at all. It’s just cheap.

It sucks because then it makes the stuff with Darby or whoever not work as well. MJF whining about being a misunderstood pillar and all of that makes sense. But him threatening to go “elsewhere” — why should anyone else in the roster care? It’s just one less competitor to worry about, and this guy is insufferable anyways so let him go anywhere else. So why did Darby head out to the ring?

The stuff with Darby was fine. It is a prick heel being a prick heel. Darby just no-selling it was a good flip on how things work. MJF trying to “break” Darby is a good idea for an angle.

But the “Bruce Pritchard” stuff might cheap pop the crowd but ruins the set-up of what could be a really good story.

I interviewed JJ Dillon a few years ago for a wrestling zine that never came to fruition. We talked a lot about how to get heat. The “local place sucks” stuff was something that he did not like. The best way to make the fans hate you was by insulting them via whoever the audience proxy is. IE: “Your champion is illiterate human garbage, of course you people root for him, he’s just like you” is a better condescending jerk line than “Silence, you are from upstate New York” or “the Red Sox stink.” 

Edited by Greggulator
  • Like 3

God when Mama Huber gave Evil Uno the DON'T YOU DARE~! look after -1 hit him in the face with THE PAPERS~!, I think we all joined Uno in the act of regressing into our twelve year old selves.

I think I cleaned out the dishwasher and took the trash out for absolutely no reason at all.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 11

Yep, I was a fool.  I spent way too much energy thinking about how MJF sucks as a heel when the truth is I just don't care about him anymore.  I'd be better off lamenting about D.Z. being a worthless bot instead of about MJF.

As for the show I like that they had a great show with the underlying theme of "Do it for Brodie" being the reason for most matches.  Of course it was for the 16-man tag but it was also for Eddie who was close with him and the women's tag due to TayJay being DO/DO adjacent.  Then you had the TNT title match to boot which makes perfect sense.

JB needs that big win but his association with Danielson should lead to that final push for him.  Arn had one helluva promo and while it makes sense for Cody to turn heel I see him putting that off while the reality show is going on.  As for Sammy I'm glad he won though I was hoping it would have been Silver winning instead.  Imagine if he wasn't injured and had momentum to carry him into Rochester.  Imagine him winning the TNT title there and how that would have felt.  I get that things happened and he's not even a singles guy at the moment.  But I really hope down the line they circle back to him winning in the right circumstances.  As for Inner Circle I don't think it's a matter of them disappearing so much as they all have their own things going on in different feuds.  People have seen together since the beginning and I feel it's nice for them to do their own thing.  Same is true with the Pinnacle.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

I think that MJF is on the right track by going back to the spoiled rich boy angle instead of just being a generic douchebag, but I am not sure if all of the real life meta is necessary.  Even Wardlow had to be like, "C'mon, man..." during that spot.

MJF not being able to trigger Darby triggered MJF.  He was so flustered that he just fucking left.  He didn't even sic Wardlow on Darby or take advantage of the numbers game for the 2-1 beatdown.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

Inner Circle suck. Break that shit up. Pinnacle suck. Break that shit up.

Sammy solo + MJF & Wardlow doing their own little drama thing is the best direction. Save Elite as only decently weighted faction and sprinkle a few of the micro-factions around and that’s fine. Build the solo superstars up.

Sammy as champ is a very good move. Opens up a lot of believable match ups, and for similarly weighted stars to have a believable route to the title. Darby, Starks etc now have an “in”. Move Miro on to the heavyweight title scene and have the secondary title go through a period of spontaneity around who can win it on a given night.

Edited by A_K

Just now, A_K said:

Inner Circle suck. Break that shit up. Pinnacle suck. Break that shit up.

Even if you don't like those factions, though, I'd argue that having them just drift apart without any angle is, while realistic, not narratively satisfying.

• Like 1

Just now, tbarrie said:

Even if you don't like those factions, though, I'd argue that having them just drift apart without any angle is, while realistic, not narratively satisfying.

They should have closed that book with the MJF/Jericho feud but that whole feud was a complete wet mess that serviced Jericho’s ego / nostalgia trip by the end of it. It is what it is - better to just clear deck and forget about it than devote any more precious TV time.

Jesus fucking Christ, Arn. That was disconcertingly specific. Something you wanna get off your chest, old fella?

I'm tired of Dan Lambert. The first couple of times, yeah I get it, he runs his mouth and somebody shuts it. Cool. But he keeps coming back and saying essentially the same thing. I'm tired of it, the crowd got tired of it. I don't recall AEW fans resorting to "what" chants before, so this must have been extra boring to sit through. Thankfully Ethan Page didn't give them anything to what, and saved the segment. 

Now, does Miro get his title back, or move on to bigger things? I do like the idea of him challenging Omega, but that does get in the way of the whole Danielson thing, and then add to that Hangman. I don't know where they go, but I'm into it. 

• Like 2

Put Punk on commentary every show please.

Jungle Boy and Cole was great stuff. Jungle Boy always knocks it out the park any time he gets these big single matches every few months.

“WHATAMANOEUVRE!”

Lmao at any time Brandon gets fired up and think he has mic privileges in the group.

JR with the whole mixed reaction comment for Cody and Punk just says “Hey listen, they don’t like him”.

Holy shit at that murder death kill finisher from Lee Johnson. Guy is looking very good btw, a lot more confident in the ring every time I see him.

“Is it Bear Country or Bear County?”

Who’s the guy teaming with Bear Country? He looks like Trent and Peter Avalon’s baby cosplaying as a current Young Buck.

I’m digging 10’s new Deathstroke mask and 5’s Young Rey Mysterio looking one, much better than the generic ones they’ve had so far. 

Who’s the Rock/Maven looking guy in Hardy’s team?

Brodie Jr WITH DAH PAPERS!

The heck is up with Lio Rush’s gimmick/promo? Sounds riveting.

Tay seems so freaking sweet with Negative One, warms my heart.

Holy shit at that corner dive from Sammy. Smooth af. Oh man that ending sequence gave me some STRONG flashbacks to when Aries pinned the unbeatable Samoe Joe back in 2004 after a corner attack, brain buster, 450 combo. Loved that Miro wasn’t acting knocked out after the 630, he was screaming in agony as he was being put down and pinned.

So happy for Sammy, I hope he gets to have a good run, he seemed to get very rightfully emotional there at the end. It’s one thing I love about AEW, title wins feel earned and the winners reactions always reflect this, not everyone gets to be a champ here and it really means something when it happens.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 4

The guy in the 6 man is Anthony Greene who had a run in nxt/205 live as August grey and was recently released.  He got released the same day they aired his match on 205 and he tweeted it then had an added stip of loser leaves town.

56 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I think that MJF is on the right track by going back to the spoiled rich boy angle instead of just being a generic douchebag, but I am not sure if all of the real life meta is necessary.  Even Wardlow had to be like, "C'mon, man..." during that spot.

MJF not being able to trigger Darby triggered MJF.  He was so flustered that he just fucking left.  He didn't even sic Wardlow on Darby or take advantage of the numbers game for the 2-1 beatdown.

Hoping this brings out the desperate MJF, like his MLW match vs Mance Warner.  That was MJF at his best (also the Mox match had some of this as well)  MJF is best when he knows he's bit off more than he can chew and can't run. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I think Anthony Greene is in desperate need of a look change. He looks like he’s in transition of gimmicks, and just appears to have no character direction currently. Retro guy, might be too passé at this point.

True.

When I saw him at Chaotic Wrestling’s Cold Fury show a couple years ago.  He had a pair of ladies with him as a part of the package.  

Later, when he appeared of that one Evolve show on the network.  It seemed like there wasn’t much wind in sails in his act because the ladies were not there.  Still seemed like the case last night.  But who could blame him if he didn’t become a star over last night?  He was placed on a show as a placeholder without an act.

10 hours ago, The Natural said:

FAgCDCgWYAEPmDz?format=jpg&name=large

Aww.

Another new version of the belt (like Darby’s but the background of the TNT logo is more blinged out). 

tnt-championship-darby-allin.jpg

I’m enjoying the constant evolution of the TNT belt

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Brandon Bones said:

True.

When I saw him at Chaotic Wrestling’s Cold Fury show a couple years ago.  He had a pair of ladies with him as a part of the package.  

Later, when he appeared of that one Evolve show on the network.  It seemed like there wasn’t much wind in sails in his act because the ladies were not there.  Still seemed like the case last night.  But who could blame him if he didn’t become a star over last night?  He was placed on a show as a placeholder without an act.

Yeah Greene's gimmick for a while was "The Retrosexual" Anthony Greene and he had, I believe, The Platinum Honies on his arms. They ran with us a lot for Beyond Wrestling's first season of Uncharted Territory. It works as a happy-go-lucky face, but not so much as the obvious fall guy in a glorified squash. Speaking of Beyond, that same season also showcased Bear Country so they at least worked together a whole bunch back then. 

• Like 2

THE PAPERS!!!

Awesome show.  Four man booths continue to be kind of a mess but Punk is so good on color.  I'd be down for just Punk/Excalibur, or maybe Punk/Excalibur/Tony.

Other quick hits on commentary: Ross joking about Lloyd's of London policies and calling them scams, and Tony turning into David Crockett (GET EM! GET EM!) as soon as JB put the Snare Trap on Cole were just tremendous.  Also Punk: "What's their name?  Bear County?  OH, Bear COUNTRY.  That's a LOT more land!"  

MJF continues his cheap heat bullshit and I got no time for it.  Good point by @NikoBaltimore that he needs some limiting and @Greggulator's comments in general.  Shit-talking the town you're in, calling women whores, talking shit about dead people, all are really hacky ways to get heat.  Literally anyone off the street could grab a mic, get in the ring, and do it.  Take that shit away and maybe he could learn something, like a Young Boy not being allowed to do much at first. I liked the gimmick of Darby switching it up on him, but still. 

BIG FUCKING SHOTTY getting the pin and getting shit done while Cody mucks about.  Didn't see that coming.  Maybe Cody was distracted by Martin's BLM armband and was trying to figure out how to explain to him that AlL lIvEs MaTtEr

Arn out here airing his fantasies about shooting people is some late career Clint Eastwood angry old man shit and not what I expected in 2021 but here we are.  There are about 17 different, better ways that promo could have been done, all accomplishing the same goal without fetishizing murdering a human being over a car, but I guess the Codyverse is the safe space for the MURICAAAA crowd.

The belt's on Sammy and now I need to see Miro vs Danielson.

Someone was cutting onions or dusting in the house a few times here.  WTF.  Don't be doing that shit when I'm trying to watch my stories.

The short promo packages are so good!  And a really smart deal with such a huge roster.  

Lio Rush is here to explain leveraged buyouts, venture capital, and how Mitt Romney and Bain Capital killed Toys R' Us to you ignorant motherfuckers!

Jungle Boy and Cole was such a smartly-worked, hot opener.  Just perfect.  They're bringing JB along so well and he's at the point where they can back pocket him and heat him right up as soon as they need to.  This wrestling shit is so simple when you don't overthink it.

Why are they called Tay Jay when it doesn't really rhyme?

Digging 10's Bane-ish mask.

No bad wrestling at all on the show, and two hours just flew.  So great.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 8