DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2.0 - 9/28/2021

Dolfan in NYC

The show was a bit better paced then last week where it felt like they threw a million things at the wall.  Still some pretty rough edges, but I kinda like that they're trying different stuff and see what works.  The matches in the second half of the show were a lot better with the Women's tag match easily being the match of the night.  Who would have figured Sam Shaw would be one of the best things in NXT right now.

Not sure it was better paced they had a lot of jobber entrances even for the women's champs but they didn't try to cram 100 people into two hours.  

i am loving Mandy and her stable so i'm fine with her as the next challenger.   That promo from Bronn was great too.  there's some stuff that is not working on the show but the good outweighs the bad for now. 

B-Fab/Elektra was rough in both good and bad ways. Kind of surprised they made that B-Fab's second match ever.

The segment for the tag teams was alright. Felt a bit too much like what we see on the main roster. Also would have preferred a team like the Creeds involved.

Women's tag titles match was good, possibly MOTN. Stark looked great, and its easily the best Jacey has looked as well. Happy to see Stark and Io retain.

Strong/Waller was good. Waller was impressive, and it was good to see the crowd get behind him.

Bron and Ciampa's promos were good. Can't wait to see the two finally wrestle for the belt.

The InDex Honeymoon segments were weird and amusing.

Ridge/KOR was nice while it lasted.

Raquel/Franky was solid. Not sure where Raquel's strap broke, but at least it was towards the end. The beatdown by Toxic Attraction on everyone post match was good. Really like the push they are getting right now. Guessing Mandy wins the belt whenever her vs. Raquel finally goes down.\

It was good to see them slow down on introducing people this week. Everything was able to breathe a little better as a result though it still feels like they could do with one less segment and match.

Edited by Eivion

The possibility of a Steiner with mic skills out of the gate is something else. (It’s not unfair to suggest that Scott never really did much on the mic until he was 35 and breaking down a lil, right? And Rick was also like 38 when he stopped being a goofy babyface)

It’s the blue chip version of a Steiner. I don’t know what sort of creative bullshit awaits but so far he sounds the part.

I don't know if it is laziness on their part or ignorance but if Joe Gacy is going to continue this anti cancel culture gimmick then maybe you should not use the last name of a serial killer.   On the indies it made sense for him to have that name because his gimmick at times was pretty ruthless and crazy.  not here unless the ultimate plan is that cancel culture and wokeness turns him so crazy he becomes a psycho.  I doubt the WWE has thought that far.

Although I am horrified what his last name would be.   Hopefully not one that ends in a 'Stein' given a couple bad examples

Edited by hammerva

Maybe he can insist on an pompous invented pronunciation of Gacy to get some heat.

”my name is Joe Gaaaaw-seee”

plus it’s a little more evergreen to do a “don’t chant ‘Gacy’ at me, my name is gaw-see” thing.

Unless you go all into a lame campus cult version of Kevin Sullivan where you can do other things, the shelf-life of just mocking woke stuff isn’t great.

This show was way too horny. I mean, is the idea that Vince can live out his old man lech fantasies on a show no one is watching because if they did a show like that on Raw and SD the Twitter ‘give [insert underpushed woman] a chance’ crowd would be losing their fucking mind?

6 hours ago, Hagan said:

This show was way too horny.

Definitely agree with that. The Indi segments were something you'd expect from WWE in like 2002. Of course, there are also APA and Chris Nowinski tribute acts on the show, so maybe that's what they're going for.

The women's tag was pretty surprisingly great, though. Reminded me of good 2014 NXT when they'd have the new people work a tv epic structure with a lot of pre-planned spots, but it came across really well and hid the weaknesses of the greener wrestlers. Zoey has actual star potential. I think Toxic Attraction should've probably won here because I don't think they've actually done an "all the gold" gimmick with a women's stable. I think they could pull it off if they stay away from the pervy camera work and random guys drooling over them and do more beatdowns like they did on Raquel. Less ass shots, more ass kicking.

Man, reading that 18-year-old me is trying to return with 38-year-old me telling him to shut the fuck up.  Tthis is Vince's test run with trying Attitude Era again and I think he's in for a rude awakening.  If criticism mounts he'll either take those elements out of it or he'll say fuck it and can NXT altogether.  Nothing will surprise me at this point with either option.

I don't think he's doing a test run of anything. If they wanted to, they could turn Raw and SD into an edgier product already and they've dipped their toes into that here and there at times. That seems to be all they're comfortable with. They can make NXT into something different entirely and give people shitty names and job them out or give them Goldberg pushes. Ultimately none of it matters since they change everything with these people when they're brought up. It's just going to suck when Bron is brought up and isn't allowed to channel his uncle in his promos. 

On 9/29/2021 at 10:38 AM, kenyabaxterZXW said:

wq12jkk6icq71.jpg

I'm starting to get worried that if Gargano does not get a new contract once the current one is up, it will be Dexter accidentally ending up killing off Johnny's character. Maybe one more espionage mission gone horribly wrong, or something?