DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2021 - WEEK 4

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, BobbyWhioux said:

gotta keep the new business partners happy

No complaints here.  NFL is sooo much better booked than WWE or AEW.

It's going to be great when the finish to the Pats-Bucs game is Brady running in a qb sneak to take the lead after Gronk pulls out a pair of brass knux and ko's the defender.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/29/2021 at 11:42 AM, JLowe said:

Been here since '93 and I too am looking to get out of here. But I don't think the city of Austin will ever approve or vote for a public financed stadium, hell they even held out on getting FC Austin (god I hate that name so much) to pay for their stadium and some transit.

I hope you're right there.  I'm OK with "Screw you, I'm moving my team to Austin" being the threat every shithead team owner uses, as long as we don't mess up and actually get a team by accident.  

I'm starting to be fearful that Austin is getting big enough to actually get a team one of these days.  I've been here since 71, minus six years in College Station and Houston, and the place is unrecognizable to me if I think back to being a kid. Full of people who moved here in their keep Austin weird shirts pricing out everybody who used to make the place what it was before their rent tripled.  We used to live on 38th, just east of Mopac when I was little.  When he was watching TV my dad would go out during commercial breaks and shoot rats in the garage.  Imagine doing that in THAT neighborhood now.  The folks that tore down the existing homes to build their two million dollar houses would piss themselves.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EdA said:

Not to old man this by replying to something way late...but here we are.

Yeah.  No.  Columbus is NEVER getting an NFL team.  There are 4 NFL cities within easy driving distance of Columbus that have shouted down any rumors of a relocate there in the past.

Plus...there is only room for one pro football team in Columbus...and they play on Saturday's.

Same goes for Austin, only we don't have the payroll of the Buckeyes...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KidNatural said:

Last time I checked Nashville had a team... but the cities that teams can threaten to move to is very, very short.

Yeah - I have a feeling Dolfan spaced on where the Titans actually played

And there is a zero percent chance that Salt Lake City will have a team due to the whole no playing games on Sunday thing (Notice that the Jazz always play road games on Sunday)

St Louis would be at the top of the list if it wasn't for the whole suing the NFL thing which is gonna be especially nasty because the NFL is gonna have to open their books

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

Honestly, as big as Columbus is, I don't think they would have enough of a fanbase to support a team. The Browns are Ohio's team.  The Bengals own Cincinnati, but I'd bet they have more fans in Kentucky than they do north of Dayton or as far east as Columbus.  I have family in both Cleveland and Columbus and people in Cleveland kind of take pride in being from Cleveland.  People in Columbus just live in Columbus, there isn't much of a sense of civic pride, which I think you kind of need to have a strong fanbase.  

Absolutely.  The Bengals have zero presence in the state once you get out of the Cincy-Dayton area.  Funny enough, I recently joked with Phil the fanbase make-up in Ohio for pro football teams is:

1a) Ohio State (Don't kid yourself, Ohio State is a pro team.)

1b) Browns (1a and 1b can flip-flop depending on how good the Browns are.  Generally the fanbase is the same.)

2) Steelers (Don't get me started on the cromags who flipped to being Steelers fans when the Browns left in the late 90's.)

3) Assorted fans of other teams (like me)

4) Bengals

Heck, when the Bengals threatened to move to get their new stadium everyone IN CINCY laughed at that farcical effort.  They only got the new digs because they piggybacked on the Reds ballot move.  If the Bengals left tomorrow no one outside of the Cincy area would care.

Columbus is just a sprawling suburban area with no real personality.  Most people tend to be transplants due to Ohio State, insurance jobs and a love of artery-clogging fast food.  Their pride is entirely towards Ohio State - and secondly the Browns.  Shoot, the town's interest in the Screw and Blue Jackets only has a minor pulse when college football season is over.  There would never be enough interest in a pro football team in Columbus.

Plus, you know, 4 other teams in the NFL would never let that happen anyway.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, supremebve said:

Columbus and Louisville having to bow down to Cleveland and Cincinnati when they are much larger cities is crazy to me.  Columbus has almost 3 times the population of Cleveland and I'm willing to bet that this is news to pretty much the entire United States.  Cleveland is probably the most disrespected city in the country, but when people think of Ohio cities, Cleveland is the first that pops into their mind.  Columbus is a sprawling city that is growing and it might as well be a cow town.  

I had no idea Columbus was that big.  If you'd pressed me for a guess, I would have said 100k population.  And that Cleveland was closer to 800k.  I would never have guessed that Columbus was at almost 900k and Cleveland under 400k.

Also, I think it's nice that hip hop has been around long enough that we can now have the standard Super Bowl halftime show - a hot star with a bunch of acts that were big stars 20+ years ago.  It's like the rap version of Britney performing with Aerosmith.

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 2

not that Sacramento was seriously in consideration anyway, but the NFL did just make it painfully clear in the worst way possible that it considers Northern California to be only a 1 team market.

8 hours ago, EdA said:

Absolutely.  The Bengals have zero presence in the state once you get out of the Cincy-Dayton area.  Funny enough, I recently joked with Phil the fanbase make-up in Ohio for pro football teams is:

1a) Ohio State (Don't kid yourself, Ohio State is a pro team.)

1b) Browns (1a and 1b can flip-flop depending on how good the Browns are.  Generally the fanbase is the same.)

2) Steelers (Don't get me started on the cromags who flipped to being Steelers fans when the Browns left in the late 90's.)

3) Assorted fans of other teams (like me)

4) Bengals

Heck, when the Bengals threatened to move to get their new stadium everyone IN CINCY laughed at that farcical effort.  They only got the new digs because they piggybacked on the Reds ballot move.  If the Bengals left tomorrow no one outside of the Cincy area would care.

Columbus is just a sprawling suburban area with no real personality.  Most people tend to be transplants due to Ohio State, insurance jobs and a love of artery-clogging fast food.  Their pride is entirely towards Ohio State - and secondly the Browns.  Shoot, the town's interest in the Screw and Blue Jackets only has a minor pulse when college football season is over.  There would never be enough interest in a pro football team in Columbus.

Plus, you know, 4 other teams in the NFL would never let that happen anyway.

I was recently talking to a friend from Ohio (originally) and was really surprised when she was telling me that she didn't really know any Bengals fans, that it was all Browns and Steelers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KidNatural said:

Is the CFL presence big enough to keep NFL teams from moving there? I'd imagine that Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal are big enough to support an NFL franchise.

It’s less the CFL and more that those cities aren’t going to give a team almost a billion US dollars for a stadium. 

56 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

The NFL games in Toronto drawing for shit didn't help either. 

Always amuses me that if you asked people in Toronto who their favorite football team was the Ticats probably would win a plurality. Seriously I've walked through the city in my jersey and it felt like I was getting "Oskie Wee Wee" and "Go Cats" shouts every 500 feet.

As far as major areas without any major sports teams goes, where I am from tends to be somewhere towards the top of the list. I grew up in Hampton Roads, VA (includes Norfolk, VA Beach, Williamsburg, etc.) and the metro area has a population of about 1.7 million. We almost got a NHL team maybe 20 years ago (Hampton Roads Rhinos!) but things got complicated and it didn't work out. Every time it even somewhat comes up lately, the cities fight over which city gets a stadium, who pays for it, etc. etc. and nothing ever comes of it beyond the entry level.

I think that initial cost of getting a new team to move to you will make it really hard for any "new" city to get a major sports team. One exception to me would be if a new owner purchased a team and wanted to move it back to their area, and had Jerry Jones money so they could just build the stadium on their own dime.

Well, due to WFT being otherwise a shit show, it looks like Taylor Heinecke could end up being the most successful XFL player ever.

I was really hoping for a world where nothing associated with that could be considered successful, but the universe hates us.