DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2021 - WEEK 4

Dolfan in NYC

Jacoby faces his old team! 

? 

Ugh... thank god I'll be in the middle of an Arizona desert this whole weekend. 

Your suicide pool picks are Tennessee (@ lolplanes), Cincinnati (vs. Urban's Idiots), and Buffalo (vs. No one's playing that much for him)

33 minutes ago, nofuture said:

Has anyone mentioned that Brady is playing against the Patriots this week?  You'd think the sports media would be covering this.

This is actually only the second mention of it I've seen.  I think my near total embargo of American sports media has worked.

18 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The Giants aren’t gonna win a game this year so what is gonna get me through the season is how much this area has turned on Chase Young

The football team's players are Sting.  The football team's fans are Ric Flair.  

• Like 1

Some Bears info for @jaedmcand others who care. Last week my friend who works in city planning told me to not be surprised to soon hear that the Bears are moving to Arlington Heights. I thought it was bullshit. 

Looks like it's true. The Bears have bought the racetrack out there. 

7 hours ago, Craig H said:

Some Bears info for @jaedmcand others who care. Last week my friend who works in city planning told me to not be surprised to soon hear that the Bears are moving to Arlington Heights. I thought it was bullshit. 

Looks like it's true. The Bears have bought the racetrack out there. 

I know very little about suburban Chicagoland but Arlington Heights seems like it would a massive pain in the ass for most Bears fans to get to.

25 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

I know very little about suburban Chicagoland but Arlington Heights seems like it would a massive pain in the ass for most Bears fans to get to.

Based on what some other teams in other sports have done *cough* Atlanta *cough* they probably want it that way

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

Honestly, after Sunday most of the city would probably help them pack.

Arlington Heights is just north of O'Hare, so not a big deal. I'd also wager that most of the folks who can afford to go to Bears games are from the Burbs anyway. They're probably ecstatic that they can bypass Chicago city traffic altogether and get to the Bears game.

It should be noted that Bears are in a lease to Soldier Field until 2033. It's 84 million if they break it in the next 5 years. Chicago Park District owns Soldier Field and for me the big disappointment is them possibly losing that revenue. Chicago Park District programs are massive for parents in the city.

On the bright side, if they build a new stadium we might be able to host a SuperBowl(maybe even a Wrestlemania again.) And it would be able to properly accommodate parking.

The situation is not over but I just don't see why they'd stay. They want on site sports betting, and aren't allowed that at Soldier Field. They want a roof and expanded seating, and no one is really sure how the fuck to engineer that, outside of tearing half the stadium apart, so not a cheap option. These aren't small wants, and I don't think the city can come through on them.

• Like 4

And the Bears can put Arlington Heights to the barrel and ream the shit out of them for public $$$. None of these new stadium deals have really provided the economic benefit they claimed they would bring and the taxpayer ultimately gets screwed subsidizing stadiums for billionaires. For me it would be disappointing seeing them move to the burbs because at that point they stop being the Chicago Bears.

There’s plenty of public transit options to get to Soldier Field (Red, Orange, Green Line, Metra Electric, countless buses) vs Arlington Heights with just one metra train. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Honestly, after Sunday most of the city would probably help them pack.

Arlington Heights is just north of O'Hare, so not a big deal. I'd also wager that most of the folks who can afford to go to Bears games are from the Burbs anyway. They're probably ecstatic that they can bypass Chicago city traffic altogether and get to the Bears game.

It should be noted that Bears are in a lease to Soldier Field until 2033. It's 84 million if they break it in the next 5 years. Chicago Park District owns Soldier Field and for me the big disappointment is them possibly losing that revenue. Chicago Park District programs are massive for parents in the city.

On the bright side, if they build a new stadium we might be able to host a SuperBowl(maybe even a Wrestlemania again.) And it would be able to properly accommodate parking.

The situation is not over but I just don't see why they'd stay. They want on site sports betting, and aren't allowed that at Soldier Field. They want a roof and expanded seating, and no one is really sure how the fuck to engineer that, outside of tearing half the stadium apart, so not a cheap option. These aren't small wants, and I don't think the city can come through on them.

True that the Bears fans are coming from the burbs but the entire highway and public transit system if built for getting from burb to city and then back again, not burb to burb. In Detroit when the Lions played in Pontiac and the Pistons played in Auburn Hills it was a pain in the ass for 70% of the fans to get to the stadiums, to me it looks like the same thing would happen with this proposed stadium. 

I'm sure the Bears are going to sell it as getting a Super Bowl, Final 4 and so on, but aren't the McCaskey's the second cheapest owners in the league? Any kind of roofed or retractable roof stadium is going to up the price big time, are the McCaskey's going to be down for funding any cent of that? I'm sure Arlington Heights is going to throw money at them but even a cash rich burb has a breaking point when it comes to funding, they aren't Las Vegas who was cool with giving the Raiders almost a billion for a stadium.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

There's still San Antonio, and now Austin (as the Bills have threatened). Of course, that will happen over the dead bodies/brains preserved as AI operating robots of Jerry Jones and the McNairs.

At this point, the non-NFL cities that would probably be in line to get an NFL team would probably be (roughly in this order):

• Austin/San Antonio
  • Portland, OR
  • Columbus
  • Oklahoma City/Tulsa
  • Salt Lake City
  • Nashville  
  • Then you get to the cities that had a team that failed (SD, STL)
  • At this point, the list gets dire -- Long Island/CT for essentially NYC's 3rd team, Hampton Roads, Boise, Albuquerque, Orlando, and Sacramento, probably

And I'm not even listing the international cities (London, Mexico City, and Toronto) who the NFL is desperately trying to get to care enough to plop a team in.  

ATX is maybe the one city where you will get a friendly enough municipality to build a new stadium at their expense (that's in a desirable place).   But then you have to deal with Jerry Jones, and much, MUCH more importantly, UT. 

2 hours ago, Mister TV said:

Arlington Heights isn't hard to get to and it's not that far outside the city. Also, it's where Mitsuwa is! Again, another thing that only Jae would understand. The biggest difficulty in getting to games would come from the lack of train access. People outside the city can take the South Shore all the way to the stadium practically. It's maybe a five minute walk from the train platform. 

I personally think Soldier Field sucks. It really sucks. I don't see how this doesn't happen because the Bear want a ton of concessions, like the Chicago Fire not constantly fucking up their field, artificial turf, which sounds like a non starter for Chicago's parks and rec department, better field drainage, etc. The main issue is going to be funding this monster because there is no way Virginia or her dumb as fuck son fund it themselves. As long as it doesn't completely fuck over local tax payers, then I'm fine with the Bears moving.