DVDVR Message Board

2021 AEW Matches of the Year.

The Natural

Billy Gunn versus Darby Allin is not a MOTYC, but like Matt D, I really loved that match. I have never liked Billy Gunn in any form, but him as a jacked up fading steroid bully with two jock daddy’s boys idiot sons is a great role for him. They are very reminiscent of the final year I played Little League baseball, where the alcoholic head coach had his two Jersey Shore-style moron sons on the team who loved cackling at their teammates who sucked (me) while Dad looked on with glee.

My favorite moment in Little League sports ever was that season, when our first basemen Richie whiffed on a ball thrown his way. The coach and his idiot sons started screaming at him. Richie’s response was a very nonchalant “I quit” and he left in the middle of the inning. 

Anyways, Billy Gunn tossing around Darby as his goon sons was a blast. The commentary was also really good as selling this as a clash between different eras, which helped make it believable for Darby to win, on top of Taz doing some good Heenan-style work by talking about what good kids Billy’s sons were. Darby doing a coffin drop to the floor was aces. 

The end was also really unique. There are so many times when a finisher gets kicked out of and the person who hit the finisher has no idea what to do next. Or if they go back to their finisher it gets countered. But Darby just hit the Coffin Drop a second time and that did the trick. 

Really good bully heel versus undersized baby face match.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Post AEW Winter is Coming Dynamite update:

10. Kenny Omega vs. Christian Cage. AEW Rampage, 13th August.

9. Darby Allin/Sting vs. Dax Harwood/Cash Wheeler. AEW Dynamite, 22nd September.

8. MJF vs. Darby Allin. AEW Full Gear 2021.

7. CM Punk vs. Eddie Kingston. AEW Full Gear 2021.

6. Bryan Danielson vs. Eddie Kingston. AEW Rampage, 29th October.

5. Matt Jackson/Nick Jackson vs. Fenix/Pentagon. AEW All Out. *****.

4. Bryan Danielson vs. Minoru Suzuki. AEW The Buy In: Rampage, 15th October 2021. *****.

3. Thunder Rosa vs. Dr. Britt Baker. AEW Dynamite, 17th March. *****.

2. Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson. AEW Dynamite Winter is Coming, 15th December. *****.

1. Bryan Danielson vs. Kenny Omega. AEW Dynamite, 22nd September. *****. My 2021 MOTY.

Edited by The Natural