Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

Grand Slam Pt 2 - 9/24/2021


SirFozzie
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Hagan said:

No kidding! I was gonna point that out, too. It’s why so many of these arguments just fall apart. Like when Corny talks about how the Young Bucks look like they can’t win a real fight as if Beautiful Bobby and Loverboy Dennis looked like the fucking Bruiser and Crusher rolling into a bar.

Christian is taller than either Buck, and towers over adam cole, so I’m not sure this is the “gotcha” moment you want it to be…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No, but the point is guys like Christian or, to use better examples of a main event act, Shawn Michaels or Bret Hart were chastised as being ‘too small to be believable’ or ‘too small to be stars’ or whatever bad faith argument people embraced because they had a pre-determined idea of what a star looked like. 
 

And, of course, those arguments historically have been shown to not only be wrong but pretty damaging to companies. Wrestlers across the board are smaller and, thankfully, less roided up so using size as a criticism for any wrestler just seems retrograde.

So, yes, while Christian is larger than other AEW main eventers it doesn't change the fact that it was absurd he was considered to be too small for years. Silly then, silly now.

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Hagan said:

No kidding! I was gonna point that out, too. It’s why so many of these arguments just fall apart. Like when Corny talks about how the Young Bucks look like they can’t win a real fight as if Beautiful Bobby and Loverboy Dennis looked like the fucking Bruiser and Crusher rolling into a bar.

I’m pretty sure they were actually big guys by normal people standards and certainly bigger than the Bucks.

And I think everyone can admit some of the no selling the Bucks do and Matt Jackson reversing attempted double team moves into him double suplexing his opponents is a little absurd.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Bryan said:

And I think everyone can admit some of the no selling the Bucks do and Matt Jackson reversing attempted double team moves into him double suplexing his opponents is a little absurd.

They got part of the book, and are respected vets of their own industry. They get to do whatever the heck they want at this point of the current wrestling style. No amount of talking about somebody’s height will turn back time.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Bryan said:

And I think everyone can admit some of the no selling the Bucks do and Matt Jackson reversing attempted double team moves into him double suplexing his opponents is a little absurd.

I'm a huge Bucks fan, but I've gotta agree that particular spot, especially on a regular basis, has to go. I know it makes zero sense given the rest of their repretoire, but for some unknown reason, that's where my line is.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

They got part of the book, and are respected vets of their own industry. They get to do whatever the heck they want at this point of the current wrestling style. No amount of talking about somebody’s height will turn back time.

They may be able to do it but Matt Jackson reversing double team move into double suplexes on guys his size or bigger will never not look ridiculous to me.

And that really doesn’t have anything to do with his height but his mass and how strong he actually looks—not strong enough to do that without lots of cooperation.

And the Bucks getting up and going on offense about 30 seconds after getting dropped on their heads will never not annoy me but I understand that good selling is less important to modern wrestling fans.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

He’s a “Skilled fighter” in professional wrestling. Skilled fighters can use their opponents weight to their advantage. Especially one like Matthew Jackson, who is skilled at doing double Northern Lights Suplex’s.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

They may be able to do it but Matt Jackson reversing double team move into double suplexes on guys his size or bigger will never not look ridiculous to me.

And that really doesn’t have anything to do with his height but his mass and how strong he actually looks—not strong enough to do that without lots of cooperation.

And the Bucks getting up and going on offense about 30 seconds after getting dropped on their heads will never not annoy me but I understand that good selling is less important to modern wrestling fans.

This is a better and more reasonable way of saying what I was trying (and admittedly failing) to say. The Bucks have such an exorbitantly high percentage of their moves that clearly require cooperation with their opponents that it absolutely obliterates suspension of disbelief. I know they've tried to play it off at times as "subverting wrestling tropes," but sometimes tropes exist for a reason.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know AEW's been making great strides this year in ratings, demo wins, generating buzz.  But, mannnnnn.... I didn't really think AEW had any real chance of winning the war until I realized how toxic the discourse was here and elsewhere.  Yeah, the hype is real.  You can talk ratings all you want but the true sign of success is having a fanbase willing to take the time to be assholes to each other oh social media.

Be afraid, Vince.  Be very, very afraid.  The enemy is real and they have already arrived.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't spend a lot of time on social media, but whenever I click on something AEW-related on Facebook, 90% of the comments are calling AEW wrestlers yardtards, making fun of AEW presentation, saying Vince isn't scared of you indie dipshits, etc. I almost never see it going the other way, or if I do, those people are drowned out by WWE homers quickly.

Edited by Dog
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

“Toxic”, is the new “Canceled”, I guess?

No clue.  i don't get the newletter.  Just seems I've been poking my head in the AEW forums fairly rarely lately and, whenever I do, people are arguing with each other over fairly minor points.  Shrug.  I could be wrong.  I've missed a lot of AEW TV lately so I haven't really had much to say in the threads.  It feels like the AEW forum used to be a kinder, gentler place.

By contrast, the WWE threads have become one of DVDVR's last bastions of civility.  Probably because post counts are fairly low and most of us don't feel like getting worked up one way or the other for the same arguments.  

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

AEW discourse is just like everything else in culture now. The only thing we’re truly made to feel we have individual power over anymore is our consumer choices and how we apply them to showing contempt for other people. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Eoae said:

No clue.  i don't get the newletter.  Just seems I've been poking my head in the AEW forums fairly rarely lately and, whenever I do, people are arguing with each other over fairly minor points.  Shrug.  I could be wrong.  I've missed a lot of AEW TV lately so I haven't really had much to say in the threads.

Okay

  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

He’s a “Skilled fighter” in professional wrestling. Skilled fighters can use their opponents weight to their advantage. Especially one like Matthew Jackson, who is skilled at doing double Northern Lights Suplex’s.

Skilled fighters can’t use their opponents weight to lift more weight than they’re capable of lifting over their heads on each arm. 

His opponents are very clearly jumping with him as he falls backwards. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Hagan said:

No kidding! I was gonna point that out, too. It’s why so many of these arguments just fall apart. Like when Corny talks about how the Young Bucks look like they can’t win a real fight as if Beautiful Bobby and Loverboy Dennis looked like the fucking Bruiser and Crusher rolling into a bar.

I'm always making fun of Adam Cole for being 137 lbs., but that doesn't really bother me when he gets in the ring.  It's wrestling not real life, I don't have to believe Adam Cole would win a shoot fight against his opponent to believe he can win a pro wrestling match against his opponent.  Seriously, I remember running into Shawn Michaels at an airport, and I looked at him and thought I might weigh more than him.  I'm 5'7" and about 203, if we got into a fight I'd like my chances.  I guess I can't watch Hell in a Cell any more, because I can't see him winning a fight against The Undertaker.  

 

31 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Skilled fighters can’t use their opponents weight to lift more weight than they’re capable of lifting over their heads on each arm. 

His opponents are very clearly jumping with him as he falls backwards. 

 

I hate to tell you this about pretty much every pro wrestling move, but it's damn near impossible to do any of this shit to anyone without them helping.  There is this thing called the Irish Whip, where you grab someone's arm and push them in the back and they will run forever unless you knock them down.  If you can justify that in your mind, why not a double northern light's suplex?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really, really wish there was a way to not only hide posts from fools but also hide when people respond to them.  Not hating on those that respond as I get it but when this happens it reminds me why I had to ignore in the first place.

Speaking of fools I would be happy if we never mentioned Cornette's name again unless it's about something old school.  He might have softened some parts slightly but his take on modern wrestling is and always will be trash.  The sooner he gets deprived of the attention he craves the better.  But it's unfortunate I see some on here that I otherwise like that echo what he says.  Well, at least with AEW and certain wrestlers.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I really, really wish there was a way to not only hide posts from fools but also hide when people respond to them.  Not hating on those that respond as I get it but when this happens it reminds me why I had to ignore in the first place.

Speaking of fools I would be happy if we never mentioned Cornette's name again unless it's about something old school.  He might have softened some parts slightly but his take on modern wrestling is and always will be trash.  The sooner he gets deprived of the attention he craves the better.  But it's unfortunate I see some on here that I otherwise like that echo what he says.  Well, at least with AEW and certain wrestlers.

I feel the same way about the ignore feature, you never really get to actually avoid what those people are saying for the most part which makes the whole thing pointless. I have noticed though, if you look at these threads within 24 hours of the show you see a whole lot of happy people happy with watching good wrestling. Certain folks who care to complain and dissect and fantasy book everything to death will keep these threats going for days and days and days. 

Hard agree on Cornette as well. Every so often something comes out about how horrible he is as a person, and yet folks can't stop bringing up his racist, misogynistic, sex creep name. Personally I don't understand it but there's also a lot of other stuff I don't understand here, but I'm here for the good people liking good wrestling.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Dog said:

I don't spend a lot of time on social media, but whenever I click on something AEW-related on Facebook, 90% of the comments are calling AEW wrestlers yardtards, making fun of AEW presentation, saying Vince isn't scared of you indie dipshits, etc. I almost never see it going the other way, or if I do, those people are drowned out by WWE homers quickly.

Facebook is really only good for cat pictures.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jorge Masvidal definitely fits the part of pro wrestling heel. Plus he threw a nice running knee. Arlovski and JDS don't have much beyond "looking intimidating while standing still" going for them in the pro wrestling context.

Homicide debut was interesting. I loved him back in the day, but I haven't seen him wrestle in over 10 years. Is he washed or still decent?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...