DVDVR Message Board

Grand Slam Pt 2 - 9/24/2021

SirFozzie

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

You might be thinking Hernandez.  And yeah, he sucked on the show.

WHAT?! He was awesome doing his strut every week and that incredible strap match where he was taking a whipping to his fuckin' head. Love Hernandez always and forever.

• Like 2

The strap match was the only good thing he was in while in LU and yeah I enjoyed that a lot.  But in a place where there there were either far better or far more interesting people to pay attention to he just wasn't up to par.  Now that's not to say I never liked him as he was much better in TNA and from the tiny I saw of current Impact he's been fun in backstage segments.  But Hernandez in LU?  No, thanks.

Just to touch on the sound of the crowd a bit on Rampage, I've noticed that the audio mixing on Rampage is different than on Dynamite. Like on Dynamite, it usually sounds pretty good, from the crowd, to the ring, to everything really. Then Rampage airs and it sounds really quiet. I'm not sure if they're going back in and messing with the audio or what, but it sounds like they've heightened the audio for the announcers and deadened about everything else.

I should also note that this is on a Vizio surround setup. The one with the soundbar, two rear speakers, and a subwoofer.

21 hours ago, supremebve said:

I'm always making fun of Adam Cole for being 137 lbs., but that doesn't really bother me when he gets in the ring.  It's wrestling not real life, I don't have to believe Adam Cole would win a shoot fight against his opponent to believe he can win a pro wrestling match against his opponent.  Seriously, I remember running into Shawn Michaels at an airport, and I looked at him and thought I might weigh more than him.  I'm 5'7" and about 203, if we got into a fight I'd like my chances.  I guess I can't watch Hell in a Cell any more, because I can't see him winning a fight against The Undertaker.  

I hate to tell you this about pretty much every pro wrestling move, but it's damn near impossible to do any of this shit to anyone without them helping.  There is this thing called the Irish Whip, where you grab someone's arm and push them in the back and they will run forever unless you knock them down.  If you can justify that in your mind, why not a double northern light's suplex?

The Irish whip used to be performed by the person doing it squatting low to generate leverage (or create the appearance of doing that) but know that you mention it, I don’t think a lot of guys don’t do that anymore.

Marko Stunt Irish Whipping Wardlow or even just any average sized person would look absolutely ridiculous if they actually went with it. And I would complain about that if I was ever somehow tricked into watching a Marko Stunt match.

Anyway, the idea is to not make the cooperation so transparent, especially to the point of being comical or eye roll inducing.

And it’s not just about the move but who is performing the moves and who they’re being performed on.

The notion that someone like Matt Jackson could lift two near or over 200lb men above his head on each arm is laughable to begin with. So you start from a place of disbelief and then when it’s performed the cooperation is just too obvious. Maybe it looked better when he wrestled smaller guys on the indies but he should probably retire it in AEW.

I don’t know if Scott Steiner ever performed the move but given his size how physically strong and impressive he was even before he became a juice head, and how explosively he performed moves, if he did, I bet it looked a lot better.

So I’m not necessarily against the move but against a smaller high flyer doing power moves on guys that are around his size or bigger. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Bryan said:

The Irish whip used to be performed by the person doing it squatting low to generate leverage (or create the appearance of doing that) but know that you mention it, I don’t think a lot of guys don’t do that anymore.

Marko Stunt Irish Whipping Wardlow or even just any average sized person would look absolutely ridiculous if they actually went with it. And I would complain about that if I was ever somehow tricked into watching a Marko Stunt match.

Anyway, the idea is to not make the cooperation so transparent, especially to the point of being comical or eye roll inducing.

And it’s not just about the move but who is performing the moves and who they’re being performed on.

The notion that someone like Matt Jackson could lift two near or over 200lb men above his head on each arm is laughable to begin with. So you start from a place of disbelief and then when it’s performed the cooperation is just too obvious. Maybe it looked better when he wrestled smaller guys on the indies but he should probably retire it in AEW.

I don’t know if Scott Steiner ever performed the move but given his size how physically strong and impressive he was even before he became a juice head, and how explosively he performed moves, if he did, I bet it looked a lot better.

So I’m not necessarily against the move but against a smaller high flyer doing power moves on guys that are around his size or bigger. 

If you want to help with this, think of it as judo.  A 100 lb. judoka can throw a 300 lb. man because he's perfected his technique.  A small man, properly using his leverage should be able to do any of these make believe moves based on that logic.  Honestly, just watch what you want and like what you like.  My point is that all of this is absurdist entertainment.  What you choose to believe is 100% up to you, but limiting your enjoyment based on the size of the performers is just an arbitrary measure, especially in a era where most wrestler's are barely 200 lbs.  Even then, 200-205 lbs. is pretty much the heavyweight limit for all sports with weight classes.  The logic is anyone at 200 lbs. is big and strong enough to compete with anyone larger than 200 lbs. in a fight.  Sure, they are a little light of the heavyweight mark, but them being elite professional wrestlers, they make up for it in technique.  

• Like 5

I ignored Bryan but he's best served to look back at the Leyla/Jade match and particularly the Dark before it.  As Matt D expertly pointed out there were things Jade did that were attempted in some way during Leyla's match.  Leyla not only had a way to counter things but the announcers also focused on how her size can be effectively used due to her leverage.  I honestly didn't care for the match before Dark but I found myself super hyped after Dark.  And that was a really good match to boot.

So basically smaller opponents can and will stand a chance but it's all in how they present themselves.  Rey Mysterio was billed the Giant Killer and nobody batted an eye.  Leyla Hirsch has proven to hold her own against taller women.  And heck, they'd even try and say how Marko can stand a chance though he mainly gets his ass kicked anyway.  Anything's possible in wrestling if you're will to work within their parameters.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

E_70fBVXEAIsPqL?format=jpg&name=large

Doing a Cash'd.

Santa doesn't like that. Britt is on the naughty list. You know what she is going to get in her stocking this Christmas if she doesn't stop being the baddest b*@$h on the block? 

Spoiler

A damn coal

Edited by Gordberg
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

He seems too nice especially looking at your avatar. At least with Britt she's gorgeous but would put the wrath of God into you.

Plus a D. M. D. Dentists scare me even though the most I've ever had is a cleaning. Nothing else thankfully.

5 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Plus a D. M. D. Dentists scare me even though the most I've ever had is a cleaning. Nothing else thankfully.

I had a tooth pulled today.  First dentist I had seen in 38 years.  Charming young man.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Gordberg said:

E5PX1owVIAM4PJM.jpg

E6Tc6dBXoAEQSwP?format=jpg&name=900x900

22 hours ago, Jiji said:

Don't they present themselves as pretend tough guys? The worst offense of them being presented as tough guys was probably going toe to toe with Butcher and Blade in that backstage brawl match. But B&B are JTTS, even more so back then.

See I actually like the characters they play. The whole elite with the ridiculous outfits and horrible facial hair remind me of the asshole frat guys in Revenge of the Nerds or Animal House. It's just their psychology when they get in the ring, much like Brian Cage tries to work like a man 70lbs lighter the Bucks try to work like the are 70lbs heavier. It just takes me out of the match at times.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Craig H said:

I should also note that this is on a Vizio surround setup. The one with the soundbar, two rear speakers, and a subwoofer.

#humblebrag ?

Re: Matt Jackson's double suplex, small guys beating big guys, whatever... I prefer to think of pro wrestling in kayfabe as just another martial art.  One whose practitioners have learned to do seemingly impossible, amazing things that might defy physics when viewed by a normal person who doesn't understand the secrets of the art.  Matt Jackson can weight 190 pounds and suplex two dudes because it's a technique he learned.  If your favorite wrestler can't do that, he needs to spend more time in the dojo.

Edited by Technico Support

40 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

#humblebrag ?

It's not that expensive of a setup... I think the one I got was $150 or $200. Kind of a you get what you pay for thing since there are similar setups that are more expensive, but the main problem I have is having to resync the 2 rear speakers.

• Thanks 1